Dazed and confused as a club

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board ARCHIVE' started by Orsen Kaht, Nov 25, 2015.

1. Dr Zazlos

Dr Zazlos Banned Idiot

L&T Transport LGV/PCV Instructor
    Because I don't want the club to fall further down the league's !

Make no mistake, that's where were heading

2. Ors

Orsen Kaht Guest

Dr Z has it, RR.

So the question to you is: at what cost?

3. Mrs

MrsHallsToffeerolls Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Another sidestep coming up I fear. Square Ball Square ball.

4. Red

Red Rain Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    There is no doubt that we missed out on a lot of players in the last transfer window, and because of that we had to recruit loan players. Your comments come from looking at the effects of failing to do the business that we wanted, and with no knowledge of the business that we will do in January. The consequences of that failure have been the poor first half of the season, but the failure to do business was not the fault of Lee Johnson alone, and this concentration on the cult of the manager assumes, by definition, that this is always the case. The fault lies with Lee Johnson, Ben Mansford, SCMP and fate. To continually seek to blame one man for everything totally misses the point, it is wasteful and it is counter productive because it produces an environment of constant flux.

5. Red

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I am not prepared to define an end to my patience, just as I am not prepared to accept your logic about the consequences of being patient.

6. Ors

Orsen Kaht Guest

Hold on RR, I quote from the Dear Leader:

"Patrick and Ben explained decisions on recruitment and team selection are always with Lee Johnson. - See more at: http://bfcst.org.uk/meeting-with-patrick-cryne-and-ben-mansford-part-2/#sthash.oaMkK5fd.dpuf"

7. Ors

Orsen Kaht Guest

So you'd see us in the Conference?

8. Dr Zazlos

Dr Zazlos Banned Idiot

L&T Transport LGV/PCV Instructor
    You be patient Red Rain.

You will be in the minority though.

I suspect a defeat on Saturday will this whole sorry state of affairs to a head!

9. Ext

Extremely Northern Well-Known Member

Professional Northerner.
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    "I don’t have any magic solutions to all this"

No but it's a piece of piss to criticise the actions of those trying.

10. Ors

Orsen Kaht Guest

Re: "I don’t have any magic solutions to all this"

So - same two questions to you then:

How many more displays such as we've seen this season would you be prepared to tolerate in pursuit of this patient strategy?

Also, how far down the league structure would you be prepared to see us go?

11. Ext

Professional Northerner.
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)

Let's see a detailed plan from you to address all the issues you've alluded to in your pseudo intellectual diatribe first.

'Things ought to be better'. Yes they should. How you going to do it ?

12. Ors

Orsen Kaht Guest

I resent the 'pseudo'.

Ain't a clue, pal. But I'd start with a decent manager.

How about your answers?

13. Red

Red-Taff. Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)

14. Red

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I see what you did there. You used selective statistics to justify your point. Well here goes with another set of selective statistics that proves the opposite.

It is generally argued that you need 50 points in order to stay up. In one year that we finished 8 points clear, we stayed up with just 48 points, and in another year that we stayed up by just 1 point, we accumulated 55 points. Points are no indicator of security. A better indicator of security is league position and 12th place (half way) is the indicator of relative security and 21st place the indicator of maximum danger whilst continuing to survive. During our last period in the second tier, we finished 20th, 18th, 20th, 18th, 17th, 21st, 21st and 23rd. In my opinion, these positions indicate a failure to establish a toehold in the division.

I have argued in the past that our successful managers were successful either because they had much higher budgets than their competition, or because they had a much longer period in charge and there was less change in their environment than there was elsewhere. I actually know a lot about Barnsley FC. I have been supporting them for 50 years and have recently been looking back in detail over those 50 years in order to look at the lessons that I have learned from that time. I know nothing about the football clubs that you have mentioned, but I am sure that there is more to their recent, and so far short term success, than the men that they have employed as managers. If we make a choice of comparisons as selectively as you have done, then we do not look at the other the others, for example, Adkins at Sheffield United who many wanted at Barnsley, but who considering his resources, is performing almost as poorly as Johnson.

And that is the problem, it is very easy to stick out a finger at any moment in time and say look there, he is doing better, lets have him. When things change, as they do all the time, it is just as easy to stick out another finger and point at some other guy. And the thing is, you are always right, because you can always move on. The problem is that in the real world, you cannot move on, and you are stuck with your decisions.

15. Ors

Orsen Kaht Guest

16. Ors

Orsen Kaht Guest

???

17. Ext

Professional Northerner.
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)

Sack the manager. Again. And yet you resent the pseudo. All that typing and that's your solution.

Well in terms of performances imho we may have turned a corner. So the worst displays I would hope are no more.

But there are 2 issues - 1. our recent historical performance as a club in spite of our owners cash support and irrespective of manager - if that carries on then Lge 2 beckons eventually.

2. What may happen if we actually stick with a manager and allow him to develop and/or new ownership

How low would I be 'prepared' to see us go is irrelevant because we are on a general downward track until point 2 is cleared up. I'll be watching BFC in whatever league they are in. It's in my blood.

18. Ors

Orsen Kaht Guest

???

19. Redstar

Redstar Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Good post

On the £5 million comment...

I think PC is saying you'd have to spend the extra money in an attempt to stay up - at least, so in effect you are almost no better off

20. Red

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    If I was the manager, and I had a choice of who we signed, I would pick Messi and Ronaldo.

Of course, it is not purely down to Johnson. It is down to who we can afford, who wants to come and how much we are prepared to pay them. Those factors are just as much down to Mansford, SCMP and fate as they are down to Lee Johnson. Lee Johnson tells Ben Mansford who he wants, and Ben Mansford tells Lee Johnson, most of the time, why that is not possible.

It is just like you asking your wife to pick a house and telling her she can't have Buckingham Palace, or is your real name Prince Philip.