Decent session for the English Bats men

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by Hemsworth Tyke, Aug 17, 2017.

1. spi

spidermatt Member

Teacher
    Style:
    Barnsley
    Nope

2. Con

Connor Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Need an interpreter tbh

3. Hem

Hemsworth Tyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    which bit don't you understand. All very clear for someone that understands a bit of cricket

4. How

HowMuch! Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Go on then ....
    All we have seen today is the two best English batsmen fill their boots against a mediocre bowling attack .
    Two new batsmen failed again .
    Once again showing the lack of class in the county game .
    OK !

5. Jack Tatty

Jack Tatty Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Exactly.

6. tobyornottoby

tobyornottoby Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Like Shakespeare, you need to study it, then it makes sense. Should be "an" Englishman though.

7. Hem

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    All Smiles. Cookie monster eats up another big score with hopefully plenty more tomorrow. Keep it together for the first hour and go make a big score middle session.

8. How

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    OK hemsy where is your reply to my post ?

9. Hem

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    ?

10. troff

troff Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    The sky line would be 'concentrate on who's here' - why would they advertise that they were charging for a broadcast of second and third rate players?

England central contract retainers are 700k then about 12k a test. And that's gb£.

Officially the wi retainers are in three bands, 100k, 120k and 140k US dollars. Not all the windies test team are even on retainers - and they get only us$5k fees for a test match. About £3800, just over 30% of what England get and they are on about eight times more as a retainer too.

I'd take it don't get me wrong, but when they can get hundreds of thousands or maybe millions for a twenty over slog or bowling 24 balls you can hardly blame them.

And if after that days play you think you have an argument that this is a worthy test team you've no hope.

Root got hundred and plenty barely middling a ball, and cook is 150 n.o. not really having played a shot in anger.

All three new batsmen should be out. Malan needs to take this chance, as i'd have Alex hales in at five. He's too good not to be in the team but he's not an opener in the long form.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2017
  11. How

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Read post 44

12. Hem

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Root and Cook will score runs like that against anyone. They are World class. Root's a classic looking bat with another tempo to anyone like him that's ever played for England. Scores at 70 SR with ease at times. He's so good at times that's why he gets out. He thinks he can score of any ball at any time.

Cook's one of the best ever. Look at the numbers. It'll not matter to him, but the numbers he's got are scary. So don't put those two down.

Stoneman. Root said it. Unlucky Mark. Can't do anything with that. Westley will be thinking, I missed out today. It happens.

The CC games okay. Players are getting runs. England are a J Trott away from a perfect team.

13. Cod Eye

Cod Eye Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    In recent times, Cook has really struggled to score big runs before today. I missed the exact game, but it was said that he hadn't scored a Ton for a long time. Agree that he's been a cracking player though. Regarding Root, he needs to convert more 50's into 100's, then he will considered the world's best batsmen.

As for the perfect team, I think we're 3 batsmen off. I dunt know where the next opener will come from, as I don't think Stoneman is the answer. Then a new No.3 is essential to stop thus trend of Root coming in with only 30 runs on the board.

I'd be giving Crane some game time too, as that lad will be some player!

14. Hem

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    3 in 13 month though I think. England not played Test cricket in 6 of those 13 months. England will experiment in the next few games. Don't see Broad or Anderson playing the 3 games.

15. troff

troff Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    And now you have lost it. One player?

There are three places nailed down in the top six. The rest? No.

We need an opener and a five, as well as an IJL Trott (by which I assume you meant a solid and reliable three).

I'm a big moeen fan but he's more of a batsman than a frontline spinner - not a match winner that often, yes he has his days, but he certainly can't tie an end down, which on flat pitches we need a spinner to do. Ashley Giles barely turned a ball but he could starve the runs.

Opening bowlers - yes we have the most prolific partnership in our history. Jimmy won't be around that much longer though I fear.

I'm not convinced about first change either - I assume woakes is ahead of Roland-jones when available, but again like moeen he's a batting pick. We have to bat down to nine ten and jack because the top order fail so often.

Look at the county averages. Nobody is demanding selection with performance other than Gary Ballance and he's had chances

16. Hem

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Moeens a top class spinner. Done it against India, Done it against Pakistan and it against SA and more. England have a top bowler in mo and they are really happy wth him.

We need to accept the players we have. Opener, he's only batted once. Got a top cherry top of off. Whatever. Mallan looks to have a lot of talent. They like hi at MCCC.

Woakes, top top bowler. Our best in ODI cricket. Brilliant bowler first but can cat at 7/8 better than most. England are looking good. Bring in the Aussies and NZ's

17. troff

troff Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    The point with stoneman and malan is that they are very much unproven Phil. They may be great. They might not. Westley too, though he's showed he has the shots but maybe not the temperament to bat three.

We can't be concluding we are only a number three short of a perfect side.

I love mo as a player. Him coming in at eight is great. But really, honestly, do you see him getting 20 wickets in Australia? And he has to be a wicket taker as they will knock him round for four or five an over at will. He does have the fact that the Aussie batsmen tend to be arrogant shot players so he's bound to get chances. I hope he spins them out ten times.

Lot of time for woakes too. And he'd bat nine in this team. Scary. Maybe an argument to bat him eight, push mo up to five and pick another spinner, maybe crane or rashid.

I agree we've a very good side in the makings but a long way off perfect. But we don't need to be perfect to win the ashes I don't think. Them aussies are decent but aren't what they were throughout the nineties and early noughties.

18. Hem

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    England need to trust these players.

On Mo, he's got wickets before against them. Warner right before Lunch I remember sitting in a pub in Stalybridge I think it was. That's the things he does. Amla OT test against SA second innings. Brilliant. If the Aussies want to take him on then England set the field back and wait for the ball to come. They'll not be able to stop themselves. Unlike Swann he's in his prime or moving toward it with the ball (only started bowling in practice a lot for 3 years or so). Also Swann couldn't handle been hit.

19. troff

troff Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Trust which ones though? Stoneman or Jennings opening? Ballance or westley at three?

Malan at five? Bring hales in?

We've a good side, and have a decent chance this winter. But we aren't perfect. If cook and root get out we don't get a score. We need them all to contribute.

20. MarioKempes

MarioKempes Well-Known Member

Project Manager
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    149 n/o. That's all.