Decision Making

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by icer, Dec 16, 2018.

1. Tek

Tekkytyke Well-Known Member

Retired
    Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    Personally, I thought we were excellent yesterday against the division leaders. Some of the passing and one-twos were sublime. Only two things cost us 3 points. A ridiculous schoolboy error from Mowatt leading to their goal (NOT Davies fault in spite of some on here who say it was) and lack of composure in front of goal, notably Potts who blazed one high over the bar when he should have scored as he had space and a clear sight of goal only several yards out. That has been the common theme with several players guilty of squandering good chances. Woodrow shows how it should be done- Whilst Moore scores a quite a few I bet his conversion rates compared to Woodrow when clear cut and half-chances are presented is far inferior.

I really don't get the depression and moans on the BB when we drop points having played well. I understand the reaction after Wycombe as we were never at the races but yesterday we were, in awful conditions able to effectively play a high tempo passing game on the floor(apart from a couple of periods of 'head tennis' and ripped their defence to shreds.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2018
    Red CB likes this.
  2. Marlon

Marlon Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    Most were in the championship last season and could have survived if we’d had a coach with half a brain .
    Week in week out midfield play the wrong pass in final third or give ball away in midfieldif you think they are in timing with each other that’s your opinion .
    I don’t think they are time and again a misunderstanding with wrong ball played or gifted opposition .
    I’m not one for jumping on a couple of mistakes but it’s happening game after game . Maybe strangers is exaggerated but I was pushing my point being sarcastic but the understanding isn’t there yet imo

3. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley
    You're not alone in your assessment of the Sunderland game, it's the popular opinion, but it's not one I share. It's not just the quality of their goals, it's the quality of the football leading up to their glaring misses. They tore us a new one and I've seen nothing like that from us since since Hourihane, Winnall et al. That's not to say we can't be very effective against certain opposition in this league, we've proven we can, but we are also very weak against those teams who pressure us. And as much as our fans laud the football we play, it's the power and pace of the likes of Potts and Moore that have caused the most damage. Sunderland passed it straight through us.

4. Marlon

Marlon Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    You spend half a sentence criticising players for missing chances etc then state you don’t get the depression.
    I don’t see any depression just folk stating their frustrations and opinions on games they’ve travelled to or stood at oakwell in bad conditions .
    Most opinions are from observations from several games not one offs .
    My opinions are just that opinions my frustrations are though I know we won’t win every game or take every chance or make every pass but knowing time and time again we have dropped points because of how we’ve played not the opposition .
    Maybe we haven’t got the all round coverage that you have but I call it S I see it I’ve been wrong before and I e been right

5. Marlon

Marlon Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    I don’t doubt Sunderland we’re good in their attacking but so we’re we . Our spproach play was sublime at times i May be biased I don’t think I am but others will have to judge me on that but reading their forum and talking to other reds fans after the game a draw wouldn’t have been a miscarriag.
    After the fourth goal it was just waiting for ref to blow imo but I though we were in it up till then but left our defense more exposed going for it .
    anyway it’s by the by we lost but imo they didn’t win as convincingly as the score line suggests and weren’t in anyway dominant as to say they had us on ropes we could easily have won or drawn that game . I e not seen a team to fear in this league imo

6. Tek

Retired
    Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    "My opinions are just that opinions my frustrations are though I know..." "Maybe we haven’t got the all round coverage that you have..."

Can I have that in English mate? ;) Actually my observation alright call them criticisms) were in fairness more than "half a sentence" and relate to the specific issue of poor finishing and the individual errors affecting results- They do not extend to making comments by some on the BB that these shortcomings translate to Barnsley 'not being good enough for promotion', or 'we need lots of new players in the transfer window to have any chance of promotion' .

7. fit

fitzytyke2 Well-Known Member

Difference between us and Sunderland as I saw it was they didn't need as many passes to get the ball wide and into the box.

In the first half yesterday though, we got the ball forward very quickly. It was just the finish that wasn't there.

Happy with how we played yesterday, but we need to be more clinical.

8. Marlon

Marlon Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    Well I haven’t seen the threads where they say we not good enough tbh just the ones where they’re saying we not consistent enough
    I’ll agree with them if we don’t get our act together with the stray passing and wrong pass or run we won’t be good enough .
    There’s no doubt we have the talent imo and when we do get our act together it’s brilliant at times for the league we’re in anyway but consistency is the key imo and a midfield captain to knock a few heads together .

9. Tek

Retired
    Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    That is fair comment. The age of the squad is the biggest factor for me re consistency. The potential of most of the squad is, as yet, not fully realised. One or two may not progress and will ultimately be replaced and even Stendel is on a learning curve. The signs are are he learns fast and shows he is capable of changing things around when needed. I also totally agree an older head -'Redfernesque' - eould make a huge difference in midfield as we don't appear to have a natural leader.