Did Hecky inherit Johnsons side?

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by S.M., Dec 23, 2017.

1. red

redrum Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Yeah hecky did very well take nothing away from him. Lee Jay and Wilson both failed with big budgets and both played some awful football.

2. tobyornottoby

tobyornottoby Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    So presumably Bristol will soon lose 8 or 9 in a row, applying your logic.

Or alternatively, is there not a recurrent theme at both Barnsley and Bristol, in that LJ starts off seeming hopeless and then demonstrates that he does actually know what he's doing?

OxRed and redrum like this.
  3. Tob

Tobys Knackers Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    Is this even a sensible post?? Are you absolutely joking?

Yes, he inherited his side, two years ago, in League One.

He got that side promoted. He got us our first piece of competative silverware since the promotion season. Then he lost five of Johnson's side.

He replaced them and he had us within two wins of the play offs in his first managerial season at this level.

Then we lost our talismanic striker (even if he was a knob) and we lost the heartbeat of our team.

We've been in a funk since and we've gone from the second youngest to the youngest team. Not a SINGLE one of our signings had played this level before but here we are, struggling bit not cut adrift.

Honestly; if anyone DIDN'T expect this year to be a struggle then you must also believe in Santa and the tooth fairy.

We have untested kids; I'm not that old but I could have fathered every one of our first team. We also have the best coach in this division in my view.

Get used to the fact that this season is going to be a f*cking long slog and then perhaps every defeat won't mean the sky is falling.

Johnson's team ...fk me ...

BFC Dave, ScubaTyke and Django like this.
  4. Dja

Django Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I don’t get why this keeps getting mentioned. It needs putting to bed. It’s a complete myth. Just look at the teams both fielded.

Hecky took over & had to construct an almost brand new defence in the middle of a play off push. We lost Long & had season ending injuries to Bree & White not much later as well as losing Watkins for the rest of the season barring a sub appearance 2nd time around at Wembley.

That’s not inheriting a side. He had to convert a central midfielder into playing right back & dragged George Williams out of the under 23’s after Johnson deemed him surplus to requirements.

I don’t know why some people seem to think you can only ever be a good manager or a bad one. Just because Johnson is doing well now doesn’t mean he was doing a good job with us likewise if he does **** in his next job it doesn’t mean he was **** at Bristol.

Worth noting he’s only in his 30’s as well, he’s learning & improving as a manager. I bet if he was asked he’d even say he’s a much better manager now than he was with us.

The money argument for Johnson & Bristol this season doesn’t really work. It might explain why they’re above teams like us but they’re still overachieving by challenging for promotion with a mid table budget. Spent peanuts compared to Boro, Villa etc

5. Sopwith Camel

Sopwith Camel Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    If we were back in league one with these players, im sure we would look good.. The only lesson we need to learn from this is, re-the plan. That it is a ..bridge too far.. to fill your team with non-league and league two players and compete at championship level..
    It is not a new manager we need, but better players.

6. Hem

Hemsworth Tyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Who's the 30's??????????

7. MarioKempes

MarioKempes Well-Known Member

Project Manager
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Hecky had his side systematically dismantled and has had to rebuild with relatively little financial backing. It's not remotely comparable with LJs job.

BFC Dave likes this.
  8. LiverpoolRed

LiverpoolRed Well-Known Member

Liverpool, Liverpool, United Kingdom, 105653082800
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    He was hated last year at Bristol - they were asking us to take him.back