Dil Raj Indian restaurant

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board ARCHIVE' started by Jack Tatty, Feb 11, 2013.

1. Jack Tatty

Jack Tatty Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Re: Best way to guarantee good service

Wish i had stuck with my original option of Elachi's up Hoyland now.

Which i can recommend to all.

Just fancied giving somewhere else a try.

2. Car

Carl Member

Health Trainer
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Used to go regular about 7 years ago but it jusg kept getting more expensive. Been a couple of times since, one we were waiting ages to sit and then for food, then other we used a voucher and we all felt that night like they wished we werent there because we were eating for cheaper. Personally prefer the 2 in darton far more these days.

3. Plankton Pete

Plankton Pete Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)

Just reading through this, who is typing you or your missus? You're wittering like a bloody gret girl ;-)

4. Jack Tatty

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)

Best idea i have had in a long time in starting this thread.

5. Jack Tatty

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)

He is.

6. Sta

Stahlrost Well-Known Member

None
    Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    Daft as it Sounds....

I'm just sitting down to my tea, which has been defrosted from a Dil Raj doggy bag from a few weeks ago. Off there tomorrow night too. Full report when I've finished my snap..........

7. Sta

None
    Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    Right 'Ere We Go.....

I'm a regular at the Dil Raj and yes I do get treated like a regular sometimes, particularly when it's busy, like Friday and Saturday nights. I once went in on New Year's Eve a few years ago and it was heaving. I got shown straight to a table, much to the disgust of a group of 4 stood waiting. We had our meal, and on leaving the group were still there, and they (rightly) went ballistic. I don't know what happened as we left at that point, but they were still there arguing in mid February.

Personally I love the food and prefer it to most other Indians I've been to, although obviously that's a matter of taste. I get dragged to the Curry Mahal at times and that is cheaper and larger portions, and if you love your food floating in a pint of melted ghee it's OK. The service in the Curry Mahal is FAR better at weekends. But that's because there's hardly anyone in. On a typical Saturday night, the Dil Raj, with its smaller and more expensive portions, is heaving, whilst the Curry Mahal is half empty. Why? I don't know.

I've had some arguments in the Dil Raj from time to time, mainly due to certain "discrepancies" with the bill. And I agree with some comments that the food is milder than it should be, but that's easy to sort out - just ask for Tarka (a little 'otter).

For special occasions they have what they call "executive" dishes which you have to order 48 hours in advance. My favourite is Korzi Lamb, which is a huge leg of lamp, marinated for 48 hours (hence the advance ordering) and served with keema sauce, boiled egs, you name it. I've also had sizzling lobster and a chicken dish which I can't remember.

I've had some great times in there but I would respect those who don't like it, particularly the service which is very poor at times and I've told them that on several occasions. However, being only 3 minutes walk from home it's just too tempting.

8. Dodworther

Dodworther Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Re: Daft as it Sounds....

Last time I stepped foot in there they added 3 extra curries and several drinks on to our bill!

Ok we were in a large group but there's no excuse. Was over 3 years ago so they might have changed since...

I prefer Curry Mahal and I've never had a bad experience there, Curry Mahal is very underrated.

9. Hem

Hemsworth Tyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Re: Right 'Ere We Go.....

do you know why they think the Egg things a good thing.

10. Sta

None
    Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley Dark

That's exactly the kind of "discrepancy" I was referring to. Curry Mahal is OK, in my opinion, just far too greasy for me.

11. redarmy990

redarmy990 New Member

Home Page:

only ever been a few times last time was the worst ever,bill was 15 quid too much service was shocking.

the royal spice in darton does a fantastic mixed balti. or the one opposite the eastfield arms. both are great

The Indian food over here is terrible, and you cant even get onion bajis. the curries are just so mild even when you order them spicy.

cant wait to get back to England just for a great curry, bhuna,madras,balti mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

12. Marlon

Marlon Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley Dark

Good oppertunity for a budding entrepreneurial chef?

13. edd

eddie Active Member

Accountant
    Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)

Been twice. First time service was terrible.Took some friends and was embarassed. Was told to sit down and someone would come and take our drinks order. Twenty minutes later we had to ask for some drinks and a menu. Twenty minutes later we had to ask for someone to take our food order. About 45 minutes after our booked time we were shown to our table. Whilst we were waiting several parties came in and were shown directly to their tables. Some of dishes were lukewarm. Finished main and were promptly presented with bill - were never asked if we wanted dessert, coffee or more alcohol. But TBH couldnt wait to leave the place.

As i already had a groupon voucher I had to go again. I complained about original visit by email. Manager promised me a 10% discount off bill next time i went. So we picked a midweek day, hoping for a better experience. Again, we had to wait almost an hour after our booked time. If Ihadnt already paid for the groupon voucher we certainly would have walked out, but were already committed. Like, an earlier post said, they had even run out of onion bhajis. And to add insult to injury, manager even refused to give us our 10% discount because we were second rate groupon customers. Would never go again,despite having numerous more groupon offers. They need to realise that by looking after a select few, they will eventually lose a lot of business, which is being proved by the need for the numerous repeated groupon deals. But the manager seems so arrogant, it will probably be too late before they realise. It may seem like its always busy, but the bulk are probably paying less than half price. poor business model

14. redarmy990

redarmy990 New Member

Home Page:

a very good oppertunity my venture shortly is opening a fish and chip food truck driving in and around DC. and with mushy peas too mmmmmmmmmmmm

just need some cash getting together

15. BFC Dave

BFC Dave Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    XenForo - Xenith Reds

Been once, it was fine.

I've been to the Mogul room in Worsbro a few times and it was better in my opinion.

16. madmark62

madmark62 Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)

I have been a few times and I can definitely say that the only times that were any good , I was with Big lil and Stahlrost !!
    The next 2 times have been shocking and if you use a Groupon voucher be very careful with the bill, check it twice, becuase we were charged £30 too much the time we used one and my son was charged £18 too much when he used one.
    But I did enjoy the food.

My favourite in Barnsley area at the minute is the Mumbai Lounge at Darfield, I have been there 4 times and I have enjoyed it every time. The Spice of India was always nice too, but not been for a while.

Must just add, if anyone fancies a run out to eat, the the "Street" in Brighouse is superb, it is Pakistani food at its best !!

17. JLWBigLil

JLWBigLil Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    So you enjoyed it

In SPITE of Ian & myself, mate???:D:D

18. madmark62

madmark62 Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Re: So you enjoyed it

That was the only time the staff have been any good mate. I think it is over priced as well. But the food is nice.

19. JLWBigLil

JLWBigLil Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Hang on a minute

You're supposed to say you found the company full of sparkling wit & repartee!:D

20. edd

eddie Active Member

Accountant
    Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)

I think Mumbai lounge is the best value in Barnsley at a tenner. Been about half a dozen times (live half mile away) and always get treated well. Where about do you live Mark. I thought Darfield was a bit out of your way?