Disappointing performance

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by Kettlewell, Jun 18, 2018.

1. Spuggy

Spuggy Well-Known Member

Transport/Warehousing
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    So if we get to the 3rd round of the cup and draw Man United or Arsenal away and play this way and sneak a draw then will we be an utter disgrace too?

2. Tykeored

Tykeored Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley
    I don’t think we would be able to employ such tactics at the Emirates or Old Trafford and get away with it but the FA cup is and always was an all comers competition pitting the underdogs against the best.
    I don’t think Jules Rimet intended the World Cup to replicate the FA Cup
    I am of a vintage that can remember the Argies v England in 66 and the Tunisian team last night were soft compared to that afternoon. The difference was that the Argies of 66 were a talented team who deserved to be part of the competition. Many of the experts of the day thought that had they played they could and probably would have beaten England that day

3. MDG

MDG Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I think we have more to offer than in previous tournos playing a much more fluid system.

We scored, and were fully on top of a team who lets not forget Spain, Portugal and Turkey all struggled against. They got a prenalty which Ok fair enough Walkers positioning was poor.. What about the 2 pens we should have had with Kane getting dragged down.. Scoreline with those could have been comfortable if the VAR officials had eyes.

Ok so we didn't maintain a blistering standard for 90 mins and missed a few chances. But they are improving in this system each time we play in my opinion and we will keep on improving the further we get. Standout performance from Trippier, thought he was excellent from start to finish. Stones generally had a decent game, had sort of an air shot which he could have scored from, but what a superb header which lead to the first goal..

I really don't get all these people that have continually said we are rubbish and had no expectations when we qualified, yet because we don't win the first match 20 nil against a determined Tunisia side, are straight on the players backs..

Yes, at times we were a little frustrating and some of the passing at times was a bit pedestrian to be effective but overall I enjoyed the match, and we got what we deserved with 3 points in the end.

Spare a thought for the Germans, just have a feeling they are going to be the shock of this tourno by not making the knockout stages. Sweden won't be pushovers for em.. Could see that group being decided on goal diff..

4. man

mansfield_red Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    If they fail to beat Sweden then they're probably out. Mexico will get summat against South Korea meaning Mexico and Sweden can stitch Germany up with a draw in the last game.

MDG likes this.
  5. Merde Tete

Merde Tete Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    How exactly do you expect teams like Iceland and Tunisia to play, bearing in mind how much technically better the opposition was? Tunisia were pretty rank to watch, but it was clear that if they had carried on with the same shape they started the match with, they'd almost certainly have got hit for 4 or 5.

6. dreamboy3000

dreamboy3000 Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    World Cup qualifiers/tournament: 6 goals

Champions League: 7 goals

Three hat tricks

In the premiership 3 goals in two games against Liverpool, scored in their biggest game the North London derby against Arsenal, and got them out of the **** against Rochdale. Not a bad record since last August. He's very much a big match player and the stats prove it. He can be called world class, which can't be said often about an England player. If it wasn't for a poor ref he could have doubled his two chances two goals, to four chances four goals. MOTM last night easily. Can't believe anyone is having a go at him. Would have done better with the easy chances Sterling and Lingard missed too.

Chef Tyke and Spuggy like this.
  7. Spuggy

Spuggy Well-Known Member

Transport/Warehousing
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I appreciate and respect your opinion but I cant see how you can compare the 2. The game has moved on so much in the last 50 years.

8. pon

pontyender Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    It makes me laugh when time wasters get hit by a late goal and suddenly show more urgency.

9. Tykeored

Style:
    Barnsley
    Thanks but I don’t see how the lapse of 50 years can justify Tunisia’s tactics of last night. I find it just as frustrating now as in 66

10. Tykeored

Style:
    Barnsley
    Me too. And how come the red headed lad got so emotional about losing after a performance like that?

11. Cod Eye

Cod Eye Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    Just to add to this thread, it must be the most "English" thing around to knock the national team after a win. But you know the team is starting to make waves when even the German press are singing their praises.

One paper had the head line(although in German, obviously) "We Wish We Had Kane", before going on to state the way we played last night, id the way World Champions played and although we may not be ready this year, in 2 years time we may be very well place to win the Euro's!

12. KingBenny92

KingBenny92 Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Stop winging, we played brilliant in first half and average in second.. Bury half of our clear cut chances and would have been 4-1... not to mention how bad the ref was

13. Wat

Watcher_Of_The_Skies Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)