Do only thick C&@%S moan about the royal wedding???

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by judith charmers, May 19, 2018.

1. lk3

lk311 Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I’m not gonna go through it and list them, but it’s headline is the figure it costs us to have the Royals, so a couple of examples on that.

Rooms lived in by Royals and no rent paid, they claim if rented private it would generate cash, this is true but that makes it income not a cost and there is no evidence to support how much rental it would create so the figure supplied is speculation not fact.
    Two of the largest figures used to create the figure are from the Duchies, it says they don’t own them but the profits go to support the Royals and this profit would go to the public instead. They are operated as independent companies and pay their taxes like any other company, so if the money wasn’t given to the Royals they would be privately owned companies.

By their own admission some of the figures are estimated as they don’t know the figures.

As Havana said a good read with a Republican bias.

2. Jimmy viz

Jimmy viz Well-Known Member

Ballet Dancer
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    We cannot house or feed our citizens. A report today shows an explosion in over 60s homelessness. I’d say with that in mind continuing to fund the royal family is also something we cannot afford.

3. manxtyke

manxtyke Well-Known Member

im not a real welder
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Keep filling up the country then with more people we can’t house, feed or give medical treatment to , here’s a thing for na try look after the ******* people we’ve got already then see where we’re at . The Royals can pay their own way and contribute massive tax payments they don’t have to o_O

4. man

mansfield_red Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    It is though. It perpetuates the idea that some people are born better than others and have an unimpeachable right to be in positions of power. The ideology of a monarchy is harmful to the working class.

RedKestrel, BFC Dave and Sestren like this.
  5. W1z

W1zz Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    More down to selfish ******** buying multiple houses and renting back to folk who can no longer afford to get on the property ladder.

Overheard one such arrogant **** a few months back in my local Indian. Laughing as he told the restaurant manager he'd just bought another couple more terrace houses to add to his portfolio, because "you can't not at that price, can you?".

Yes mate, £70,000 to you may be pocket change, but for a 20 year old starting out, it's a 25 year mortgage.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2018
  6. Jimmy viz

Ballet Dancer
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I’d agree to a point though the right to buy policy has been the biggest factor and is the most destructive social policy in the post war period.

BFC Dave likes this.
  7. hav

havana red1 Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Not really:
    How many working class people who are trying to get by think "oo it's terrible being subjugated by the monarchy"? I have a deep and long-standing dislike of privilige on the basis of birth, or more specifically such people being in positions of power as a consequence. The royal family don't take up jobs in the government, foreign office etc. Yes we are facing many struggles but the cost factor is equalised pretty much through merchandising and tourism. We need to be focussing rather on the Reece-Mogs of this world.

8. W1z

W1zz Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Yes, I know of someone who bought up a load of the council houses on his estate under the right to buy. Many were elderly tenants. Then rented them back to them, with a promise of new double glazing and to re-decorate.

9. man

mansfield_red Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I'm not saying it has a direct effect, more that it has a subtle but pervasive influence. It reinforces the idea of a class system and that people should be judged based on the social standing of their family rather than their individual achievements. It's this kind of attitude which allows chinless wonders like JRM to rise through the system.

RedKestrel likes this.
  10. Farnham_Red

Farnham_Red Administrator Staff Member Admin

Style:
    Barnsley
    The biggest issue wasnt the right to buy itself its the way it was done. Selling houses at well below market value then allowing the buyers to sell on and pocket the profits and even worse not allowing the money raised to be used to build new council housing.
    I wouldnt have had a problem with allowing tenants the right to buy at fair market rates and that financing new replacements

Scoff and HowMuch! like this.
  11. Jimmy viz

Ballet Dancer
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Agreed. As it stands it is an abomination that has caused misery and an explosion in shoddy dodgy landlordism.

12. Ext

Extremely Northern Well-Known Member

Professional Northerner.
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Got a lot of sympathy for that view. There's a lot of nepotism that prevents opportunities for all. For example Jeremy Corbyn's son works for John McDonnell, and afaik Len McCluskey's daughter, John Prescott's son and McDonnell's son all work for Corbyn. Didn't see those jobs advertised in the Chronicle for young kids from Athersley to apply. Poltics is rife with it.

Rosco likes this.
  13. hav

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Yes
    Yes i should have mentioned Corbyn et al because it's far from being a tory
    only issue.

Extremely Northern likes this.
  14. hav

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I've come up with a solution and it's one that generally goes against my principles: let's privatise the fuckers.
    The Royal Family Ltd
    So... all merchandising, use of name etc to be copyrighted to TRF Ltd All income gained from tourists visiting royal establishment's to go directly to TRF Ltd
    Sponsorship deals: Prince Harry regularly seen jogging with his Nike's on, the queen often to be seen checking the time with her rolex on. Multi-millions gained through their world-wide recognition.
    Just a thought.

15. wak

wakeyred Well-Known Member

the clues in my imaginative online moniker
    Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Historically speaking the Monarchy have been a moderating factor since the Reformation - although Charles I ended up sans head ultimately support for the Monarchy managed to moderate the Puritan Taliban who tried to change society in their own image. The problem I have is their existence today is used as "proof" by our modern day Whigs like that Manx bloke to peddle some kind of English exceptionalism (the irony of the current lots German origins obviously being lost on them).

16. Sco

Scoff Well-Known Member

The interface between business and technology
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I do like winding up the "Send them home" lot by telling them to start with Philip and his descendants and come back when they have a list of who else has to go.

17. tobyornottoby

tobyornottoby Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    How does anyone buy a load of council houses under the "right to buy"?

Have we all the "right to buy" half a street full of council tenants if we want?

I think not.

18. W1z

W1zz Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    You convince the elderly council house tenant who's lived there for 20+ years and have the right to buy their house from the council for say £20K, that you will fund the purchase, transfer ownership (to him) and then the elderly tenant will pay the same rent to him, the landlord, rather than the council. As a sweetener, the landlord will also put in new double glazing and do some other upgrades on the house.

My mates elderly mother had a council bungalow which she was offered to buy for around £18K under the right to buy , but she couldn't afford it. So my mate (her son) offered to buy it, with her continuing to live there until she passed. As he had 6 other brothers and sisters, her mum wouldn't buy it as she didn't think it fair on the others. Even though the other siblings weren't interested in raising the finances towards the purchase. His mum died about 6 years ago and the house returned back to the council. An identical house on her road, sold on the private market in 2007 for £87K.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2018
  19. Jimmy viz

Ballet Dancer
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Happens more usually with those dodgy mortgage companies who see an opportunity where it doesn’t matter if the person who is buying can afford a mortgage as they can repossess if needed.

20. tobyornottoby

tobyornottoby Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    It is the tenant who has the right to buy. Cheaply. Nobody else.The house goes into the tenants name as freehold owner, and must remain so for a number of years. If the tenant thinks there is a decent deal in it for him by having someone assist him, then why not?

Why deny a tenant the right to buy?

Anyway, you don't know anyone who bought a load of houses under the right to buy. You might know someone who provided the finance for individual tenants to buy their own houses, in accordance with an ancillary agreement he may have had with said tenant.