Do we need to splash out any of the Stones/Mawson money in January?

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board ARCHIVE' started by imer red, Dec 19, 2016.

1. shed131

shed131 Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I reckon they may be one or two pleasant surprises on the horizon....one reckons the club and the boys have one eye on the top six spots...disclaimer. .this
    is based on my opinion and not some insider trading or a video sent to me from radio sheffield

2. Dragon Tyke

Dragon Tyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    ditto

just that

3. Dragon Tyke

Dragon Tyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    it just depends

on who ,if anyone, leaves us. If we keep hold of them all, present loans too, then no need. I would keep the money for next season.

4. SirPsychoSexy

SirPsychoSexy Banned Idiot

Style:
    XenForo - Xenith Reds
    No need to spend much, with astute scouting we can pick up some more bargains. Hourihane and Winnall replacements, along with a full back to cover Yiadom being away and i have a feeling Bree will be attracting plenty of attention.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. man

mansfield_red Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    The kind of players you think we should sign on loan are the kind of players that we would never be able to sign permanently. It's incredibly short termist thinking. They have no resale value and will leave after a few months so all you have done is spent some money on wages without any potential for return. It's like endlessly renting rather than buying a mortgage.

I think loans can have a place, but I would never want more than one or two of the above type of loan signings (as opposed to the Morsy type where they are loans which all parties intend to make permanent). If you build your team around them then not only are you gambling that the unproven youngsters will perform, but you're guaranteeing that you'll need to replace half your team in the next transfer window/end of season when they go back.

It would be a mad strategy - burning money and endlessly gambling. Part of the reason for our success is that we have moved away from our previous heavy loan reliance towards a strategy of making low risk, low cost young signings who we can develop, bring on, and then make a profit from. When we eventually do sell these players we should have someone ready to step in who we signed for ten bob 6 months earlier and have been quietly developing for when the time is right (e.g. Mawson/Angus).

6. Cod Eye

Cod Eye Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    Its all about balance though isn't it Hemmsy...

Granted, Fletcher, Isgrove and Brownhill were important parts of the team that got us up, but it was the permanent players that are the main reason we have adjusted to the superior quality of the Championship.

Just think how much **** we would have been in if 6 or 7 of last seasons first team were loans and needed replacing in pre season...

Fletcher is a prime example of this. He plays really well for us in League one, but we cant bring him back as he has moved on for bigger things.

7. icer

icer Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    My view is that there is a lot of work to do in the window:-

- Look at another, high workrate defensive midfielder. If we play Scowan, Hourihane, Morsey we need someone to shore up with fresh legs as we look tired in midfield last 20 mins and have no real defensive mid options
    - I would like to see another Striker especially if Armstrong returns to NFC
    - Another centre half with experience
    - Sort out the fringe players and the ones out on loan. Are they in our plans, move them on etc
    - Hold on to players. Sort out extensions of contracts to players we need beyond this season.

8. Tyk

Tyketical Masterstroke Well-Known Member

Dry buumer
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Well, I actually think we desperately need depth. We've been really lucky with injuries so far and it wouldn't take us long to be almost straight into academy players. I'd love us to be able to bring in a commanding centre half of the ilk of Long, for example.

As good as the current team is, we wouldn't need many Kpekawa's to come into it to make us look like we're struggling again.

9. pompey_red

pompey_red Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    id really like to see an experienced central defender to play alongside Roberts, A Mac (as im calling him)(TM) has done well but maybe just like Roberts last year needs a little time out of the team now and again.

Of course we'd all love Hourihane, Winnall, Watkins, Roberts to sign contract extensions, if that's not going to happen ive full faith in PH to identify and integrate new signings as and when needed.

The squad is a little thin once we have gone past the first 16 or so, not many players are going to come and sit on the bench so we may need to find out about the U23 lads a bit more, lads such as Bird and Brown if we have a run of injuries at all

10. Red

Red Rain Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    First of all, a couple of generalities.

Even though I love watching the current team, I support the club and not current team members. I want to do the best for the long term prospects of the club and that includes its long term viability. The transfer policy, and the team that identify transfer prospects are working over the long term, along with the club's coaching staff in order to produce good players at a price that we can afford. Generally, those players will be for tomorrow and not so much about today. I do not expect to know any of the players that will be brought into the club in this window, though I do expect that we will be active in the market.

We have a number of players who are out of contract at the end of the season. It is in most of those players' best interests to delay signing a new contract until they have made sure that they will be getting the best deal, whether that be at Barnsley or elsewhere. That is just how things are in football now. If the club receives an offer for any player who is delaying resigning his contract, the club must decide whether it is worth waiting for the player, or whether they need to take control. Thankfully, I am not in that situation, because it is a difficult decision. I do not think that the club management should be criticised if one or more of our favourite players has to leave in this window. It will be for the best in the long term if they do.

As regards additions, I believe Armstrong will leave in January and I think that we should replace him with a big forward. We saw how Cardiff tested us with dead ball kicks on Saturday and the additional height at both ends of the park, is in my view essential. A big man would also allow us to play a variety of 4-5-1 formations, which we currently struggle with. In my opinion, we also need greater numbers. Sometimes our bench has looked a bit sparse when injuries and suspensions have taken their toll and I would not like to see us lose 3 midfield players overnight, as we did during Keith Hill's reign. If you want to play what if, just imagine Kent, Hourihane and Morsy disappearing overnight and think how that would leave our prospects this season.

11. John Peachy

John Peachy Well-Known Member

The littlest hobo
    Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Agree.

As I agree with most of the earlier posts.

We have a superb team now, hopefully Winnall & Hourihane will sign new contracts, on better money.
    If not & the right offers come in then they will go & I'm sure we're also targeting replacements.
    Morsy would be a great signing & I'd like us to get another CB that can play the ball, assuming we don't lose Roberts, in which case make that 2.
    Not sure about Payne for this season, so a big CF would be ideal too, although I think Marley offers a lot in terms of a physical threat, even if he isn't your typical target man.

12. Jack Tatty

Jack Tatty Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Kevin Long?
    Lloyd Isgrove?

13. Con

Conan Troutman Well-Known Member

Professional Football Fan
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Wonder if we will go in for Ariyibi (who have I only just discovered is American)?

I'd be looking to get rid of Lee, Moncur, Jackson, Tuton and Nyatanga.

14. red

redrum Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Think we will go in for arron Pierre (wycombe) and cameron mcgeehan (luton)

15. Red

RedAllOver Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    What about Liam Mandeville from Doncaster who got EFL young player of the month in November and has been in good recent scoring form. Just 19, seems a good prospect so wouldn't be surprised if we've looked at him

16. red

redrum Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Don't think ariyibi has been in great form lately Wilson dropped him a few games ago be interesting to see if we go back down that route again

17. JDB

JDB Active Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Not sure about who will be leaving but I'm sure the club have got an idea of how much we value Conor, Winnall and others when they've only got 6 months left on their contracts. We need to accept that if they get an offer that is to our benefit that we realistically should take it. I think Sam could certainly be coaxed into staying but I think Conor is destined for bigger things - and he bloody deserves - great professional and captain.

Regarding bringing players in, I think it's our policy to always be looking for good additions - regardless of our current squad. I think the few players who we will definitely be looking at are:

McGeehan (Luton)
    Bogle (Grimsby)
    Pierre (Wycome)
    Ariyibi (Chesterfield)

I think they all fit into our recruitment policy, and contracts depending, we could pinch them from smaller clubs...just like PL clubs will do to us.

18. BMW

BMW Member

retired
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    The lad Carey at Plymouth looks a bit tasty. Irish, left footed, scores goals from midfield. Sounds familiar.