Dominic Thalhammer will be our next manager

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by Biddy37, Apr 24, 2024.

1. Deafening Silence

Deafening Silence Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Or you could try and lure one who’s last job was in the Championship

Attached Files:

2. Winker

Winker Well-Known Member

RETIRED AND LOVING IT
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    The thing is with this Board they put out a red herring then appoint somebody not even on the list, very good at keeping things wrapped up. watch this space.

3. Stephen Dawson

Stephen Dawson Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Yeah easy to go off at a tangent. Tommy on a ship of his caught a Herring.

4. troff

troff Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    There’s a few more names on that list when you actually filter it to 1.4 not 1.5…

I get your point - but there are people out there.

I’d also not be against someone whose last job happened to be in league 2, doesn’t mean they’ve only coached at that level.

There will also be coaches in clubs currently that will be out of contract in June, or will cost little to nothing to obtain.

If we are getting Thalhammer, so be it. Let’s back him.

But it isn’t the only choice - nor an obviously logical one on any metric.

anstonred and Cowboy like this.
  5. red

redrum Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)

I'd just wait personally. I remember hecky was only a interim manager at 1st here as soon as he lost a game fans were giving it time for a proper manager.
    My point was our only option isn't a unknown Austrian cos we're skint. And that's hardly going to shift season tickets.

Cowboy and Stephen Dawson like this.
  6. Stephen Dawson

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    It'll help with the clubs new Warhammer promotion.

Deafening Silence likes this.
  7. troff

troff Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Stranger things I’ve happened than either of those returning - but yes I do agree neither were ever likely.

Cowboy and Django like this.
  8. Gegenpresser

Gegenpresser Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    This latest potential managerial selection is, for better or worse, an obviously logical choice when it comes to the metric of the recent BFC decision makers.

9. Andy Mac

Andy Mac Well-Known Member

IT
    Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    The love child of Gerard Houllier and Michael Gove? Perhaps?

upload_2024-4-25_9-34-37.png

10. Jimmy viz

Jimmy viz Well-Known Member

Ballet Dancer
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Duff came from Cheltenham not Barcelona. Of course we can attract a Cheltenham manager or similar.

ubique_tyke likes this.
  11. red

redrum Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)

He was a cheap unknown replacement in the 1st place.

I'd personally wait till the summer when managers can change jobs etc.

We can all blame recruitment of players like you and others have to stick up for Collins defenders with no height, punts on strikers. Maybe that's due to money but there not the only options available same for managers.

12. RedfearnsRocket

RedfearnsRocket Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I go back to my earlier post of grouping managers/head coaches, the problem is only a handful don't involve negotiations and compensation, the other categories involve managers who are either too expensive in their wages and budget expectations or they simply aren't prepared to work under a model that says we want you to play a back 3 and this way etc.
    The reality is we probably get lots of interest in the role but when they've spoke to the club they think otherwise.
    Difficult decsions ahead indeed.

13. dreamboy3000

dreamboy3000 Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Durkar Red likes this.
  14. Deafening Silence

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I would say it’s more logical to appoint someone who fits the playing style the club want to adopt and someone who has managed in the top tier of two different countries and has technically been an international manager, than someone from the lists I’ve posted. For clarity here is the league two list.
    No managerial appointment is guaranteed and loads of managers have done well at a club then flopped at the next, Duff is a prime example.
    What I don’t get is why anyone thinks Thalhammer is a) the cheap option or b) why it is assumed that someone who “knows the league” would be any better.

Attached Files:

15. Hooky feller

Hooky feller Well-Known Member

Retired, full time grandad.
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I'm not joining the argument over whether it was right to sack Collins. I can see both sides. (Doug put it in perspective better than I could)
    But the financial situation re paying him off are not that significant in real terms. He signed for 2 years. Whereas in some other previous years it was a rolling one year contract. So a similar scenario. We have had compensation for previous managers. Swings and roundabouts spring to mind. The average wage apparantly for league 1 managers £200k pa.
    If (and I say if) we lost 6/700 season ticket holders. It amounts to the same near enough.
    The timing is strange. But the club know more than us, as to what could be the consequences to take the risk.

Jimmy viz likes this.
  16. Bid

Biddy37 Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Someone posted a couple of week ago on the bbs Facebook page a long analysis of how Patrick set out the blue print. It's amazing and shows why we are now going back to the press style and appointing Dominik..
    Article is below

This is how I see it with regards to Neill Collins.
    And it starts years ago at Supporters Meetings that were chaired by Patrick Cryne.

Patrick at those meetings started to introduce a new way of thinking in how the club should be run.
    He said at the time that we cannot as a club continue in the way that we have been - the club was clearly being out bid for players the club was pursuing.
    Patrick also went on to talk about the goalkeeper being the first line of attack and the strikers should be able to defend.
    There were several blank faces sat around the table including myself wondering what he was talking about.
    His comments only became clear years later.

After those meetings came information that the club would no longer be employing a team manager but would employ a head coach (HC).
    Most of us asking what the difference was.
    It then became apparent that the HC would no longer be responsible for player recruitment and a method of playing was to be adopted which included a formation of 343 or 352 with a quick pace attack and high press style of play.

Potential players were to be recruited on the basis that they could play this system.
    And all future HCs employed by the club were to follow this blueprint set out by the club.
    Importantly this was implemented by the club to maintain CONTINUITY.
    As one HC left the club the next HC would slot straight into the role left by the previous HC.
    That is to say - the new HC could not bring in his own players or change the playing system.

This new way of doing things was started under Morais - but unfortunately it was a struggle for him to change the playing system with players that were used to playing a different style.
    Stendel and Struber developed the system further.
    When Ismael became HC all the pieces came together - the players - the playing style - and an HC who knew how to get the best from that type of style.
    A formula put together by Patrick Cryne years before and then later by James Cryne had got the club into the Championship Playoffs - with a team that cost relatively little to put together.
    Barnsley proved they had a way of beating teams that consisted of tippy tappy expensive players.

Then what followed was the disastrous Conway Season.
    Where the chairperson of the club deviated away from the club’s blueprint.
    No surprise we were relegated.

The current directors were able to wrestle the ownership away from Lee/Conway - and the club was put back on track.
    They appointed Duff as HC who changed the system Ismael had used from 343 to 3412. Slightly different but overall tactics remained the same.

Duff left the club - and Collins was appointed.
    First game 7-0 - tactics the same and everything looking great.
    But it soon became apparent in the following games that something had drastically changed eg:

The defence were not working as a unit - where’s the offside trap gone?
    The central defenders have been signed not just for their ability to defend but also with the ability to run forward with the ball - where has all that gone?

Where’s the trigger for the high press gone - 3 strikers moving forward and the rest of the team moving forward behind them in unison?

The speed of attack has been dismantled - we move forward and then retreat and move backwards. Often 2 or 3 of our players stood together out wide fail to get a cross in.
    Can’t imagine Brittain failing to do that.

The defensive midfielders have been reduced from 2 to just 1 - either it’s Connell or Russell - but never both playing side by side.
    These two as a pair IMO are better than Mowatt and Palmer that got us to the Championship playoffs.

And now we have changes in the basic formation of the team going to a flat back 4.
    Some supporters saying this gives us a more solid defence - but it also reduces the possibility of those defenders getting forward and being part of the attack.
    This is totally contrary to what Patrick Cryne set out just a few years ago.

Neill Collins has completely changed the culture of the club.
    As a consequence the football we are witnessing is unbelievably dull in comparison to what we saw in the Ismael and Duff seasons. This present team can only be described as disorganised and unprofessional.

Some supporters are blaming the directors for this - saying it’s the poor player recruitment that is to blame.
    Are they saying it’s a coincidence that this HC changes the playing system and suddenly the recruitment system becomes rubbish ?
    Are they saying we have worse players than Cambridge, Charlton and Cheltenham?

The standard of teams in this league this season is poor.
    IMO the tea lady at Barnsley Hospital could get this squad into the top 6 of the 1st Division this season.
    The current squad at Oakwell is Top 2 standard.
    You only have to listen to commentators on iFollow from other clubs, drooling about the quality in the Barnsley squad to realise this.

The question now is this.
    Why was this HC appointed in the first place?
    Who appointed him ?
    What did they see that convinced them Neill Collins would fit perfectly into Barnsley’s high speed, high press playing style ?

I’m not saying Neill Collins is a poor HC because I don’t think that’s the case - I think he will probably be successful at another club.
    But this HC is a square peg in a round hole when it comes to Barnsley - he clearly doesn’t understand the foundations that have been laid down at Barnsley.
    And as such he is likely to break the continuity that has been built.

If by some stroke of luck we get into the playoffs and win it - is anyone looking forward to seeing this HC in charge of Barnsley in the Championship?
    That’s a HC playing his tippy tappy style of football against teams with far more expensive tippy tappy players.
    We would get absolutely murdered playing the Neill Collins style of football in the Championship.
    So for that reason - I’m really sorry to say I would rather see this HC leave the club than to see us promoted.

ScubaTyke, jptykes, anstonred and 3 others like this.
  17. Deafening Silence

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Did Stendel play 3-5-2 or 3-4-3?
    You could potentially make an argument that in some games it was 4-3-3 but it was more or less 4-4-2 every game from what I remember!

wombwell-red and Sopwith Camel like this.
  18. Archey

Archey Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley
    Quite famously, Stendel played 442 with Pottsy on the wing.

19. Stephen Dawson

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    [​IMG]

20. Bri

Brian Mahoneys Waist Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I was thinking more Steven Gerrard and George Michael.