Dreadful attitude by test match commentators.

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by Mr Badger, Sep 10, 2018.

1. cli

clints right foot Active Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    The teachers don't 'pull the Inset day' it's mandated by the government. They all have to go in for it and train up on the latest ******** paperwork that the Government has decided they need to do.

Our lass is a teacher I get paid a little bit more than her I don't get 6 weeks off in summer but I wouldn't swap jobs with her for a Gold pig. I leave for work at 8 in a morning get home at half 5 and that's me done don't think about work until the next day. Our lass gets in about an hour after me then has to do marking and planning in her own time and is still responding to emails at 10pm.

Then she has to deal with people like you as parents who think little Johnny and Suzie can do no wrong and it's all the Schools fault if their kids aren't behaving.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2018
    Austiniho, Xerxes and Afies Dad like this.
  2. Sco

Scoff Well-Known Member

The interface between business and technology
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Inset days are for teachers to learn about all the changes to the curriculum and associated paperwork that they have to complete for the kids.

You can complain about teachers as much as you like but they don't set inset days - schools do. Just as policemen or traffic wardens don't make laws, just enforce them.

BTW the average life expectancy for a teacher who retires at retirement age is 18 months...

Last edited: Sep 10, 2018
    Austiniho and clints right foot like this.
  3. kor

korky Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    punishment for any kid found wagging skool at the oval should be detention at headingley
    another woeful performance today, cadmore the exception

4. TitusMagee

TitusMagee Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    India are getting battered. What a day for England. Cracking stuff.

5. Carlycu5tard

Carlycu5tard Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Yes -thats' right - she has to deal with people like me who believe we have responsibility for all the aspects of our children's lives - and people who believe that perhaps that the School should be as supportive of parents as schools expect parents to be of schools instead of it all being a one way street.

I'm ashamed that I should have suggested that some kids might have gone to see the greatest English test batsman score a century today on his final test innings instead of writing a paragraph on "the favourite thing I did in my summer holidays" and that that kind of life experience shouldn't have been rewarded with a £60 fine for their parent. How wrong I am.

Similarly I'm regretting previous run ins with the school. I can only regret the damage to the children who missed out on sticking leaves on paper with pve gloy - to do the insignificant act of paying respect in person in Thiepval to those who paid the ultimate sacrifice for our freedom purely because of the impact it had on their ability to peel hardened rubber glue off a spatula. People like me are so evil not to support teachers in this way.

6. Red

Red CB Well-Known Member

retired
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Anyway I would just like to say that any one who had their quidsworth today, certainly had value for money , what a fantastic days cricket & for those who dodged school , work or whatever, then it was probably worth it .

BarTyke and TitusMagee like this.
  7. Sup

SuperTyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    That's the spirit. **** your education as long as you enjoy yourself instead of learning.

8. pon

pontyender Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    The beginning of the school year is the worst time for a child to be absent. Ar lass always blames her poor education on things like missing the first week every year, because it was her dad's shutdown week at work and that's when they booked the family holiday for. It sets you off on completely the wrong foot.

SuperTyke and BarnsleyReds like this.
  9. Red

Red CB Well-Known Member

retired
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    What a stupid remark , coming out with statements like that show a complete lack of education , if you have to stoop to swearing you have lost any argument . My comment was a light hearted remark highlighting what a brilliant days cricket there had been .

Xerxes likes this.
  10. Gre

GreenyTyke Well-Known Member

Layabout
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Missing one day of school doesn’t have an effect on anyone’s education, especially not when there young enough to get in for a quid.

11. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley
    From an uneducated oik

TitusMagee likes this.
  12. David_Upper_East

David_Upper_East Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    It's not like it's the run up to the exams either - the teachers will have barely found their backsides or recoverred from their hangover after 16 weeks off.

16 weeks off? ROFL. If that were only true...you obviously know nothing about the demands made on teachers' time - it's such a cushy job they are leaving the profession in droves - not just the workload but dealing with a load of gobby kids and their stroppy parents who all know their rights, but none of their responsibilities.

That notwithstanding a day off school here and there for special occasions isn't a big deal.

Good effort TMS[/QUOTE]

Austiniho likes this.
  13. JamDrop

JamDrop Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I’m bumping this out of the blue as I missed it before, just to correct some misunderstandings.

INSET days, sometimes called Baker Days, are days that used to be part of the school holidays. Children always had the exact same number of days holiday that they do now. These may not have been called INSET days in the past, they were just holiday days. Teachers then lost 5 days of their holiday to INSET. Whether the school runs INSET and makes the teachers attend or has twilight sessions instead has no bearing at all on how many days the kids go to school. They are going to do 190 days no matter what.

Teachers do not decide what days INSET falls on. They get given a piece of paper with term dates and INSET days on towards the end of the school year for the following year. It is decided by the Governing body. They may occasionally give a vote on whether teachers would prefer to do twilight sessions (late night training on 5 evenings) or to come in on the INSET days but whichever they decide has no impact on the children as it is not one of their 190 days of learning.

Redstone, LiverpoolRed and Austiniho like this.
  14. Austiniho

Austiniho Well-Known Member

Inset days are not teachers deciding to have a day off.

Imagine you work in a factory producing cars.... you have worked there for 5 years producing a Capri... you are happy knowing your job inside out, the cars you produce are amazing. And to the highest standard. Then Ford say, we are scrapping the Capri, we’ve got an idea how the new car will look, but not how it is put together.... but you’ll be working on it from tomorrow.

I’m guessing you’d need a day or so to train and understand what they need, probably without your current production line running, as you wouldn’t be able to ensure the quality of those last Capris. You the worker have no say on this, it just has to happen. And by the way, you have to rearrange and reprogram all the machinery in your own time to accommodate these new instructions.

This is what most recent insets have been.

Obviously there are also mandatory training, such as safeguarding, etc. But these are essential in ensuring the safety and well being of the students.

The days of cushy pensions in any public service are long gone.

I’m not saying teachers have it worse than anyone else, just saying certain things are misrepresented. Holidays are shortened by marking, planning, etc.

I can’t imagine anyone above nursery having the “what did you do in your holidays” lesson anymore, and if they did, it would be to fulfil some Government led sats test criteria.

The first few days of a term are important as it gives the child an understanding of the schools expectations.

That said, I agree that some things such as family time and a once in a lifetime opportunity are also educational and good for the child’s well being. But the teacher doesn’t fine you, the school does. The teacher just has to pick up with the twenty something other kids whilst ensuring that the absent child is brought up to speed. This they do without complaining.

I always say the best time to take a student out of school if really necessary, would be the last couple of days in the year. At this stage they may miss a little consolidation work but unlikely to be anything new.

15. LiverpoolRed

LiverpoolRed Well-Known Member

Liverpool, Liverpool, United Kingdom, 105653082800
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Don't think I've ever not gone in for an INSET day in 26 years of teaching! Inset days have been around for 30 years or so so not sure about the modern day thing.

Many schools are now open in summer to provide clubs for children which was never the case when we were growing up.