Dull, lifeless..

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by Scott, Sep 18, 2021.

1. Deafening Silence

Deafening Silence Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    It's more likely what happens when a player low on confidence finds himself in a high pressure goal scoring situation. Sibbick found himself in a goal scoring opportunity earlier in the season and slotted it home. If he'd missed would you have given him the same stick?

2. Che

Chef Tyke Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley
    Find some of these comments bizarre. Save for QPR that’s our best performance this season. We have been very poor in some games but not today

3. George Kerr

George Kerr Well-Known Member

Retired
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    So, what’s plan B ?

4. Men

Menai Tyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Weird comparison as he actually scored but I wouldn’t have expected him to in the circumstances tbh. Today I would expect a player being selected in a championship team to finish a chance like that but hey ho he’ll more than likely be upfront again next sat let’s hope he takes the chance next time it comes along.

Stephen Dawson likes this.
  5. Jimmy viz

Jimmy viz Well-Known Member

Ballet Dancer
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)

Seems the manager agrees with me. Unsurprisingly given that he was so impressed with the first half we ‘dominated’ that he made. 2 half time changes and started playing people in the correct position. Have

6. Jack Tatty (Formerly LouisBalfour)

Jack Tatty (Formerly LouisBalfour) Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Our league form consists of 1 win from our last 10 league games.

7. red

redrum Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)

Its worrying, the lack of goals is worrying, the football I've seen is worrying, but if you point that out on here some don't like to hear it. I'm seeing blackpool as a relegation 6 pointer next week.

8. Dja

Django Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I’m really disappointed in a lot of Reds fans. Anybody should be able to see that the team & squads far weaker than last season & that many of the new players came in late & didn’t get a full pre-season with us yet people are panicking in mid-September.

Get last season out of your heads, it was a freak season where we were barely had any injuries, where we had Alex Mowatt, where we had Daryl Dike & where we had 5 subs so the forwards could kill themselves for an hour.

Mowatt, Dike, Anderson & Morris are huge losses for us. Probably 4 of our best 5 players in the 2nd half of last season when we hit promotion form. They’re a huge loss.

This season mid-season obscurity is a decent season & when we’re picking up draws with the current squad we should be fine when the rest are available.

9. twi

twillo Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    What about Luton?

Last edited: Sep 19, 2021
  10. Dja

Django Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Did you not see him second half when he came on? He looked miles off the standard required. Surely your not arguing he’d do a better job as a starter than Brittain there?

11. ubi

ubique_tyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I would agree that mid table would be great, unfortunately I have seen nothing to suggest we will be up there! The issue isn't the players, once all the players are available itl be 'just give it till after Xmas till the players are up to speed'.

Despite a weak squad the manager still makes us weaker with his selections, tactics and substitutions. If that isn't a red flag I don't know what is.

12. Dja

Django Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    He clearly doesn’t think Cole’s up to the standard. Who are all these strikers? For most of the games the only back ups to Woodrow, Frieser & Oduor were Adeboyejo & Miller.

You can’t go short every time. If you watch we try to play out from the back but the opposition will deliberately press you when they know you haven’t got an aerial threat so that you have to go long.

I’d much rather our centre backs or keeper go long to Woodrow than play out from the back of it isn’t on.

Loko the Tyke likes this.
  13. Dja

Django Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    It’s dead easy to understand. Only 3 subs so can’t ask forwards to run themselves into the ground the same. Dike’s gone & Morris & Oulare have been unavailable so we don’t have much physicality.

Several of the new signings haven’t had a proper pre-season.

You aren’t going to employ a full on pressing style if you haven’t got a team fit enough to carry it out.

Look at the home games against Luton & Birmingham where we were good in the first half but knackered in the second for example.

It’s no coincidence that the players who look the fittest are the regulars from last season who haven’t had injury problems or been signed late like Woodrow, Frieser, Styles, Brittain, Sibbick & Helik.

14. Tob

Tobys Knackers Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    I think you dramatically overestimate last seasons influence mate.

I had zero expectation of getting near the playoffs this year. Genuinely, absolutely zero.

Crowds bring pressure - that the young team last year didn't have.

We lost our Captain.

We lost our manager.

We lost the ability to make 5 subs - which really benefited us last year.

So I didn't for a second think we'd be around the playoffs. Obviously I'd take it if it was on the cards, but no expectations from me at all.

However, virtually every game I have watched this season has been boring to watch.

I didn't expect ponderous, pedestrian football from us - I really didn't. I thought our whole ethos, running through the club from all age groups was 'high intensity' pressing football.

I read people saying 'the press is still there' - well I don't see it.

I see throw ins in the attacking third back with our keeper in three passes (that happened twice yesterday), I see a complete lack of movement into space. I see sideways pass, followed by sideways pass followed by a backwards pass or a mishit pass surrendering the possession we seem so bothered about.

To me all the intensity has gone. We are just slow and boring.

If people want to call me about that then fine, but I have been bored this season - our chances created stats show you all you need to know about what is wrong.

So no, no expectations of last season, but a not unreasonable expectation of being entertained when it comes to watching football.

Stephen Dawson and Sopwith Camel like this.
  15. Dja

Django Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Disagree. I’ve not watched every away game but in the home games I think he’s pretty much got it spot on. What selections & tactics is he getting wrong?

We’ve outplayed & out-created Blackburn. I looked at the players we have available. & thought we’d get beat. Did you think we should win with what we have available?

Most of the criticisms I’m seeing further up are nonsense in my opinion & are easily explained.

Stephen Dawson, Jodo and Redhelen like this.
  16. DriffieldRed

DriffieldRed Well-Known Member

bricklayer
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I'm surprised how many people are ok with this. 2nd half yesterday was the most bored I've been at a football match in years. It's just dull, tippy, tappy, no plan be and heavily reliant on Brad Collins (again) to scrape a 0-0.

17. Tob

Tobys Knackers Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    Honestly, the result is irrelevant to my criticisms. You're asking me to prove a negative. I would say - wouldn't you agree that if more chances were created we stood a better chance?

I don't have the exact stat but aren't we averaging 3 shots on target per game or something similar - I think Sky suggested it was 15 goal chances created this season.

I get that the team is weakened - but are we thinking that suddenly the style will change when we get 4 regulars back?

I doubt it, this *is* his style, and it most certainly isn't high intensity pressing football. That's what I'd like to see.

We don't have to agree, if you're entertained by what you're seeing, I'm pleased for you fella - but I am bored by it.

I should add that I thought Valerian should have switched it up a bit for the playoffs - so I'm not necessarily saying that's what I want to see.

I just want more energy, more movement and some attacking intent and my opinion, and it's opinion only, is that we're not getting that right now.

18. Wat

WatfordRed Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley
    What about them?

19. ryc

rycalshaw Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I thought we did ok considering we've important players sidelined' i think Helik Mads and Kitching would be our preferred centre back combo' then we we have Benson out of the midfield and i would imagine Olure and Morris would come in up front' i don't think we'll be threatening the play offs but i don't think we'll be in a relegation scrap either...

20. Sopwith Camel

Sopwith Camel Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Hold on, you're not explaining anything, you are just giving an alternate oppinion. Your view on things. No better than any other poster on here.

SuperTyke likes this.