Ethan Pinnock

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by m16kcr, Jun 30, 2017.

1. Redstar

Redstar Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Hardly the same and didn't Fleetwood buy him first so he was already in the league?

2. red

redrum Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)

I doubt we have paid 1million and I doubt we have sold robo for 3.5million.

Jack Tatty likes this.
  3. Red

RedAllOver Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I'd argue it is the same but regardless Fleetwood were in the National League when he was signed by Leicester. They bought him from Halifax but he'd still never left non-league when he went to Leicester

4. Redstar

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Fair enough. But he was a striker who'd scored a bucket load of goals.

RedAllOver likes this.
  5. Red

RedAllOver Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Absolutely and Pinnock has got some great reviews so let's hope he's equally successful!

redrum likes this.
  6. red

redrum Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)

Leicester city fans were spitting feathers at the time

7. Redstar

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Maybe. I'm not doubting Pinnock could be a great prospect and the next player to flog on but I truly hope we've not pod £1 million for him

8. churtonred

churtonred Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I find it unbelievable really. You have people on here slating the club for lack of ambition, criticising Cryne for squirreling money away then the next thing moaning when we pay a million for Pinnock.
    As an old Victor Meldrew type I, similarly, can't believe some of the prices asked for non leagur or lower league players. However, we don't buy players randomly. Time and again you hear Heckingbottom bang on about signing the right players that fit what we are looking for. Time and again you see the players being interviewed and saying how impressed they were that he knew their game inside out.
    Whilst I don't like paying a million for a non league player if Hecky has identified him over a period of time as the right piece for the jigsaw then I'm happy to go along with that. Better to pay over the odds for the right player than scatter money around on the wrong ones.

WatfordRed likes this.
  9. Donny Red

Donny Red Well-Known Member

Retired.
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    From what we've been told Forest Green were not prepared to consider any offers under £1 million.
    The word offer(s) is pertinent because apparently other Clubs were interested and the lad has decided to join us.
    Club Manager Mark Cooper is on record as saying that he will definitely go on to play in the
    Premiership and in his opinion the move to Barnsley is therefore a "step up" towards achieving that goal.

With regards to Roberts there appears to be nothing tangible to suggest what he's gone for.
    Family in the Midlands are telling me that the local press are saying it's £3.5 million with "add ons".!
    Presumably that infers that if he does improve under the tutelage of Rednapp and Kevin Bond and eventually
    joins a Premiership club we will get part of any fee.?

We can only wish Robbo all the best. When he first came in he looked a bit uncertain but after a shaky start
    established himself as a very able performer at both League One and then Championship level.
    I would question whether in joining the Blues he is enhancing his career but the lad must think he is otherwise he
    wouldn't have signed.

Is Ethan capable of making the transition from Non League to the Championship.?
    Is he our next John Stones or is he a Jean-Yves m' voto?
    From what I've been reading we might well have just happened upon yet another gem.

onlyonesteviecooper likes this.
  10. Mad

Madasahatter Member

Retired
    Dale Vince, FGR's Chairman, has gone on record as saying the deal is a six figure sum - so the £1m has been over-egged?

Anyway to put some perspective on the deal it probably represents our total home (FGR) league gate receipts for the upcoming season!!!!

This deal has probably been in the offing for some time. We had aisles full of scouts, coaches and 'chancers' weighing up some of our players. Fans were surprised that Ethan wasn't snapped up in the mid-season transfer window. You can only guess, but maybe the goal of promotion took priority. Maybe the 'watchers' were told in no uncertain terms that no approaches would be considered till the end of the season - who knows? Anyway we survived a decidedly anxious mid season wobble and a dressing room 'rebellion' to secure promotion through a nervy play off route. Interestingly one of the first signings (on a free transfer) this season was from your club, Callum Evans a young left sided full back who appears to have struggled to earn himself a place in your first team. Was that the display of 'good faith' from yourselves and the catalyst for 'the real deal' - you just don't know.

You have your man, he has all the attributes you want in a footballer and as far as I'm aware comes with no 'baggage'. So no tantrums; no attitude problems; no 'sick notes'; good disciplinary record for us, no reds and averaged just over one yellow per ten games; has exceptional pace for a central defender; works hard; can score; times his tackles well; gives very few free kicks away in dangerous areas; when he does make the odd 'mistake' (as they all do) he has the pace to rectify the situation. In answer to an earlier question - yes he can head the ball, both out of defence and in the opposition goal. Ethan has enthusiasm, talent, a football brain and the potential to improve in leaps and bounds.

It's important to both clubs that this deal is successful. FGR have taken their 'money of the table', hopefully we've left some investment potential for your club. Football, behind the scenes, is unfortunately ruthless, peppered with greedy and mischievous agents prepared to peddle 'one eyed rabid dogs' as the next Messi.

The deal needs to work for both clubs and the player. We need to build up a reputation for nurturing talent and being open to 'moving them on'. Then we can attract talent with ambition to move up the pyramid. You need a return on your substantial investment and convince fickle fans that you've executed a stunning coup. Ethan has to fit in, work hard and prove to everyone what a great talent he is, so he can then advance with yourselves to even greater heights. Dale Vince may have 'trousered' your money but it's going to be an anxious 6 months or so waiting for Ethan to cement himself into your set up. FGR club and fans will be pouring over news feeds, match reports and forums willing this to be the success it ought to be. So no pressure on Barnsley FC or Ethan - let this please be a happy outcome.

Beercrate, Connor, Afies Dad and 8 others like this.
  11. occ

occook Banned Idiot

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Great to read "the other sides" take on transfers.

All to easy to feel victimised when our talent is sold for millions to other clubs, even when we've ourselves taken them for considerably less from other clubs.

I don't think it will surprise anyone the fee is less than £1m. As you say - this is Ethans chance to take a step closer to the very top. If you begrudged him that then other talent wouldn't be as keen to join you in the future. It's the exact same reason we have to accept losing our talent eventually - you just hope that each season is a step higher in terms of fees recouped, Quality and number of replacements bought.

Good luck for the season with FGR!

Edit: also very interesting point about Callum Evans. Wonder if that was a sweetener and this deal has been in the pipeline for a while.

12. Donny Red

Donny Red Well-Known Member

Retired.
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    According to Southern newspapers we've paid around £500k for Ethan Pinnock.
    Reporting that one of his clubs Dulwich Hamlet are expecting a £50k windfall
    from a sell on clause with Forest Green Rovers.
    For a player untried at our level that's about right.!