EU Elections

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by Terry Nutkins, May 27, 2019.

1. Donny Red

Donny Red Well-Known Member

Retired.
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)

On the contrary SB, always like to hear other points of view. Until I read your attachment, I didn't know the
    half about the probable reasons surrounding the action taken in Iraq. Puts things into much sharper focus now.
    Seems that most folk believe that the majority of elected representatives think that politicians are liars, which
    probably could prompt us to ask, why should we trust anything they expound ,when it comes to Brexit.?

2. orsenkaht

orsenkaht Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    On the other hand, Gordon Brown's memoir makes clear that the Americans knew that the evidence of the existence of WMD's was shaky, but failed to disclose that fact to their partners - in fact I believe it emerged only in 2011. As Alan Johnson says in 'The Long And Winding Road', "The decision had to be taken on the basis of what we had before us and, in my view, could be delayed no longer. …… I was one of those who decided and I would, in the same circumstances, make the same decision again."

3. churtonred

churtonred Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    The new leader of the Tory party won't be voted in by the constituents was my point. Exactly the point you were making about Juncker.

I believe it will go bang so who wins that point?

4. Til

Tilertoes Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Is this thread still all about electing representatives into a parliament we’re shortly leaving?

5. DEETEE

DEETEE Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    The Eu account have been audited and signed off. Have been for many years. Its a bit of an urban myth that they are not.
    But bear in mind so were Carrillions and Debenhams to name but a couple of examples.

One of the issues you are going to have with the EU going forward will be transparency on spending.

Same issue that occassionally hits the UK shores.

Seems those in power dont like being asked what they spend our money on.

As for party funding, regardless if you are leave or remain, tory or labour the donations systems are open to abuse.

The arguement whats the businesses got to gain by leaving can also be asked of those donating to remain. One prominant remain donator being Soros. Who has form...

2. The uk from memory was a founding member of the Wto and this predates the Eu. Currently we use the Wto where required via the Eu however thats dependant on other members agreeing to it.

3. Nurses agreed there is a shortage. Drs not as much. The problem is retaining them. Call it 40k to work sheffield A&E at a weekend which resembles at times a military field hospital or 60k on the gold coast?
    In respect to the Eu. About 6% of staff are from mainland Europe. The biggest provider is the ROI which we already have a border agreement with predating the EU.

The issue lies over 'unskilled workers' especially when you look at what FOM is... its essentially pushing labour around to ensure wage suppression lower costs and greater returns.
    The most amount of folk in employment is also a fallacy. Zero hours? Employed? Only on paper. And then a vast majority of the time via an agency.

Its basic supply and demand.

4. Some are already signed. Some are in the pipeline some will never happen. However, having staff who can do the job helps. Just look how quickly Singapore and Japan got over the line.
    The basic framework for trading with the EU is already there on paper. Problem is having people who are upto the task.

5. Eu law is primacy over UK law regardless of whether it is adopted into UK legistlation. We have little to no say in it.
    The only thing we can veto is amendments and/or new treaties.

The house of lords should be there for primarily ratifcation purposes. However the problem youve got is there are too many with dual interests.. serving both the crown and the Eu.

6. The Eu is neither a right or left wing organisation. Where it stands depends on your viewpoints on how it carries its self. Farage is a right wing Euro sceptic. Corbyn is a left wing.
    Both for differing reasons want out of the Eu.

7. Greece should never have been allowed to join the Euro as it failed to meet some of the criteria for acceptance.
    Italy is not so far behind in terms of finaces and the Eu recently rejected an anti austerity budget proposed by the Italian gov.
    The Euro is over valued and will eventually crash. Should Germany not sort its self out itll be sooner rather than later.

8. See part 1.