Evening with Flicker last night.............

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board ARCHIVE' started by Brianpotter, Feb 5, 2013.

1. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley
    There certainly has been, yes.

We've fundamentally changed our entire approach to games. Our style of play is at complete odds to what we produced under Keith Hill. We no longer play tippy-tappy football at the back, we don't employ a handbrake, we get it forward early and play football in the opponent's half. The changes have been dramatic. It's been obvious to almost everyone. But there's still been those who have said that the changes have been minimal, almost irrelevant and our turn in fortune is predominantly down to luck.

2. Durkar Red

Durkar Red Well-Known Member

Exorcist
    Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I think the difference is that some people think that Hill was just unlucky instead of spackmanochist. Flitcroft seems to have quickly understood the problem,obviously didn't feel he could challenge his mate , Mickey Melon may have had an influence as well.

3. Dys

Dyson Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    What I've said is that we've had more than our fair share of luck since he took over but all completely deserved. I also said that he's definitely gone more direct but there were often times we did with Davies up front but it never stayed there. First half at Peterbrough a case in point even with this new formatiom.

I also said that he's been boosted by players like Dagnall scoring and Harewood's performances.

Don't think there's anything that can be argued about with that. Honestly don't.

4. Dys

Dyson Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    How many times did Dagnall hit the post under Keith? That's how close we were.

I don't know folk can't see that there were loadsa times we were unlucky this season under Keith. Look at Blackburn's first goal, Davies missing that penalty etc.

He made loadsa mistakes. **** loads. But we were always very close to being a decent side.

5. andytyke

andytyke Administrator Staff Member Admin

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    That's because Davies had the touch and control of an elephant.

6. Whi

Whitey Guest

Apart from selecting Bob in every game, I'd suggest that Flicker has done everything that the majority of fans were asking Keith to do.

Less tippy tappy in our own half/box, no handbrake, play with width and a tempo, and make positive substitutions. Oh, and rally the fanbase, rather than alienate it.

Flicker is no genius, he's just seen/listened/learned. He's done the simple things well thus far. If Keith had done similarly, then......

7. Dys

Dyson Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Agree entirely. A relationship with the fans is always gonna help.

8. Redstar

Redstar Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    His job is to be the fall guy for the one really making the decisions.

9. Durkar Red

Durkar Red Well-Known Member

Exorcist
    Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Thats what I say after most rounds of golf ,the truth is I'm ***** but 43 years after starting to play I still think with a bit of luck I could be quite good

10. Fly

FlyingHour Member

Maybe all that came across in his "interview".

The crucial thing though, would be whether or not he could convince his employers that he KNEW the reasons why Hill "failed" and he KNEW how to put this right. I'm sure he was asked about that.

11. sadbrewer

sadbrewer Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I agree totally there Dyson..and TBF Hill had no luck at one stage this season Davies and Dagnall had hit the woodwork about 11 times between them,had only half gone in,Hill would probably still had his job,I thought one critical piece of change of fortune was Flickers second game in charge when Leeds hit the crossbar at 0-0 after we'd battered them,I feel certain a couple of weeks before that would have gone in,look at the change in luck for Dave Jones,nothing went right for months and then a run of very lucky victories against the run of play,with mis-hit goals,and the Helan 'sending off' etc.

12. Sopwith Camel

Sopwith Camel Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Yeah right Don...

13. funnyfella23

funnyfella23 Well-Known Member

Civil Servant
    Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Did think I was going a bit crazy but no, Matt Murray also doing an evening with Flicker. So what's the difference going to be?

14. The Big Frog

The Big Frog New Member

Heavy doses of, "does praying help?"

15. cam

cambstyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Going back to Hignett being offered the job on Friday evening/Saturday morning, if that were the case (and we might find out at Higgy's night at the Lamproom), why was Higgy at the Riverside on the Saturday commentating on the Middlesbrough game? Surely he would heve been at Oakwell on the Saturday?

16. cud

cudeth66 New Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Re: Evening with Flicker last night.............quality read

[
    lets keep this going we can get there if we all pull in he same direction QUOTE=Brianpotter;1258828]Wow!! - As Flicker would say - Wow.....

Went to a Dinner last night with Flicker. What a speaker!! Came across unbelievably well. The passion he oozes is brilliant!!

Said when Hill was sacked he was under the impression (As i think everyone was) that he would be shown the door too because has he put it - He was 'part of the problem'. When asked to take charge for the Peterborough game he had a massive massive descision to make. He discussed this with his familly - Hill - and close freinds. He decided he should stay and do the caretaker role because numerous players asked him to and also he felt he owed it to all the backroom staff that he had worked with at Rochdale because if he left along with Hill, they would all without doubt have been left unemployed too.

He himself thought that O Driscoll was the perfect fit. He felt players within the current squad could play the O Driscoll way and he could maybe be sucsessfull immediately but if noti definatly in the future. It was at this point when the club announced talks with O Driscoll that Flicker says the most important thing happened in him getting the job permanent. He accepted he was now about to leave the club and had effectively now being sacked. What does any person do that has been sacked - Run through everything has to why he had been sacked. Why were we not winning games. Where had him and Hill, despite working tirelessly to make things right gone so so wrong.....

He decided that for the Peterborough game he was going to go 3 at the back. This had been discussed with Hill in the weeks prior but Hill felt they needed a good 2 weeks to work on the team shape needed for such a change. Flicker believes that at the next available international break, with two weeks between games, Hill would have changed to the 3-5-2 system.
    Flicker didnt have two weeks but was only in charge for one game...... So hey oh, give it a go. He was massively impressed with how the players adapted at Peterborough and said however we lost was a travesty!!!

O Driscoll then turned down the job and so did Butcher. He believes Butchers style of play would not have worked at Barnsley.

The next bit is unreal - Flicker heard whispers before the Leeds match that Hignett and Branson had been offered the job that morning. Now he didnt say this outright last night - But i think he believes this did happen. (Hignett evening at Lamproom could be interesting!!!) After the Leeds game this offer was withdrawn and Flicker was appointed due to the performance!!! Quite a turnaround.

He feels the main problem with results before he took over was simply down to us playing too much football and making far far too many mistakes in our own half. BFC fans dont want to see this brand of football in his opinion. It isnt Barnsley Fc. He says BFC supporters are grafters and they want to see a team GRAFT - Not tippy tappy football. Thats all he has changed. Says Harewood has changed at an unreal speed. Hes a monster!! Thats what he promises. Graft and more of the football to be played in the oppositions half. Not ours.......

Off to do abit a work now but if a think of owt interesting i have missed i will update later!!!:p[/QUOTE]