Expectation levels

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by Acido Tyke, Jul 24, 2017.

1. Acido Tyke

Acido Tyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Im still excited as well Loko even thought I might sound like a miserable git. :p
    I know we say it as fans almost every year/season, but I agree this feels like another massive season ahead for us, and for Hecky as well.
    Whether we're on for a good or ok or bad season, its going to be another typical Tyketastic rollercoaster ride.

2. Redstone

Redstone Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    Right now with now idea if any of our new lads have the quality to produce in this league I'd happily settle for survival. The sad fact is we are much more likely to be relegated out of this league either this or some future season than we are to be promoted out of it. Selling all your best players and replacing them with unproven players will in all likelihood fail us eventually.
    I accept those running the club are making these decisions with the best interests in mind. Money continues to ruin the game, i dream of it all collapsing.

PLOBBY likes this.
  3. PLOBBY

PLOBBY Well-Known Member

keep yer nose out
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Its like supporting a different team every new season which is draining . The model is the model and the process is the process and all that but I'm just a supporter and I want to see the best Barnsley team possible . I have the same hopes as every other supporter in the country, but expectations , I have none .

Redstone likes this.
  4. Con

Conan Troutman Well-Known Member

Professional Football Fan
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Very low. Back to the days of the Berk where 21st is considered a success. Might sell some players with a bit of luck.

BarnsleyBomber likes this.
  5. churtonred

churtonred Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    It is the way it is and the way it always has been. However, players with 2 years left on their contract would command big fees or would allow us to gamble by keeping them for year two and still make a profit after that.

6. Redstar

Redstar Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I don't disagree we hve always sold players but not as many as we have at once. We won't gamble either.

7. churtonred

churtonred Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    But the players we just sold were all gambles when we bought them. Just like the current crop are. We've paid some significant money out in the last 12 months. Considerably more than we did on the first crop.
    However, I do acknowledge it's a big task this season. I'd say we have gambled to an extent by offering 3 year contracts to players largely untried at this level. It's exactly what people were crying out for us to do when we were selling players previously.

8. Mid

Mido Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    It kills Leeds and Wendies every year I reckon.

9. Cam

Cambridge Red Well-Known Member

Geek
    Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I have to admit to having no clue as to what to expect this season. I sort of expect us to struggle because of the lack of experience at this level, but then on the other hand we have a team of youngsters full of potential, who, with a good start and a bit of belief could do better than last years team (I think this year's team has more potential than last years... people forget that it was generally expected that we'd struggle last year). There are only a couple of things I know for sure
    1. I'm more excited this year than I have been for years (I don't know why, I just am)
    2. It's irrelevant really because whatever happens in the next 12 months, whichever division they end up in, they'll still be my team and I'll still be right behind them all the way
    I honestly don't care what division they are in... I've had good and bad times in them all. My only hope for next year is that whatever happens we stick with PH, Don't think I could bear the fans turning on him a la Flitcroft.

10. Acido Tyke

Acido Tyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Hey everybody, tahh for replying on this thread as it shows we all do still share the same thoughts about the mighty Tykes. :)

Im being negative here because thats just the way I am, but Id definitely be excited if we could add Ashley Fletcher for a season long loan.
    We shouldnt expect too much from Ash even if we did get him in, but I think that would be an ace signing.
    Come on Hecky, f*uck the phone bill, start calling Wet Spam in London and ask about a kid called Fletcher there for a season long deal.
    Luvvly jubbly. :)

11. Loko the Tyke

Loko the Tyke Administrator Staff Member Admin

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I find it exciting seeing us develop players who are moving on to the Premier League and becoming established stars knowing we've played a massive part in their career (Roberts aside as that move didn't make any sense to me).

I think we've had to lose some players too early but we've been victims of our own success there. I like that the 'new heroes' are on longer contract which strengthens our position long term and avoids one season wonders. I'm glad I got to see Conor, Mawson, Stones and Bree play for my team. They were a delight to watch. I'm also glad we made a lot of money on them for minimal outlay.

That's exciting to me. Young, hungry players who want to play for my football club and buy in to the philosophy being laid out by our manager.