Farage has stared into the abyss..........

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by orsenkaht, Jan 11, 2018.

1. tosh

tosh Well-Known Member

Retired
    Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    Where did he say that he was changing the accepted referenda rules and state that the referendum would be legally binding. I for one went into that vote knowing that whatever the outcome it may not necessarily happen because of the accepted role of referenda. No point in telling me it would be my decision if he didn't have to adhere to it. He didn't expect to lose which shows poor leadership. Don't they say always expect the unexpected. A good working majority was needed to make any decision workable whichever way it would have gone.

2. sadbrewer

sadbrewer Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Tosh...if you don't think that the Prime Minister is clear and concise about what will happen I really don't know what to say. He is absolutely clear that win or lose HM Govt will act on that decision..."your decision" .
    As to referenda being only advisory ( whilst I accept that is technically the case)...I followed virtually every word of the campaign and I cannot recall any senior politician on either the remain or leave side saying those words ....until after the result, and to put it into a historical context this country has never held a referendum in which the result was ignored.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2018
  3. tosh

tosh Well-Known Member

Retired
    Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    I appreciate what you are saying, but he didn't remain in office to act on his comment's. My main gripe is that a simple majority vote on such a complex issue is not practical. The result we got at 52 / 48 is too close to evens to be workable. Hence my comment about leadership. He ought to have stipulated what majority was required to win the vote. I would have gone for over 70%.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2018