Football fan behaviour

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by fired, Apr 18, 2024.

1. Dja

Django Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Anyone who’s been in a Barnsley away end will have seen blokes behave like this. It is what it is, daft lads been daft boozed and / or coked up. More than likely wouldn’t say anything to anyone face to face. I’m not defending it by the way just been honest about it.

2. Sca

Scarthy Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    When exactly have you seen anyone in government display behaviour like that ?

3. Sup

SuperTyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    On an almost daily basis

4. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley
    Prime minister's questions isn't far off

JamDrop likes this.
  5. Winker

Winker Well-Known Member

RETIRED AND LOVING IT
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Too much sugar, too much pocket money spent on violent computer games an too much telly, well thats what the wife sez.

6. man

mansfield_red Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Examples please? This might be the biggest load of **** I've ever read on here.

JamDrop likes this.
  7. man

mansfield_red Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Yeah all the things they get these days that past generations didn't - free tuition, cheap housing, final salary pensions etc.

Oh wait.

8. fir

fired Administrator Staff Member Admin

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Quite surprised that some folks seem to think this is just a young fan thing. I’ve seen men in their 40s, 50s, 60s do this type of gesturing. Married blokes with kids who turn into some other species when they get inside a football ground. The wide arms outstretched inviting attention.
    Occasionally I have seen women misbehave (Millwall fans at Wembley springs to mind). I just find all of it bizarre. I think when I was younger it was easier to avoid/ ignore.

JamDrop and SuperTyke like this.
  9. fir

fired Administrator Staff Member Admin

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)

I think alot of stuff is down to social media. Groups “celebrating” away day drinking, “getting the badge in” (what on earth is that about?), Away day sleepers (photos of 15 year olds who can’t take the drink they’ve illegally been supplied with). Everything seems to be done for Tik Tok.
    But as I’ve said - gesturing/ posturing is not a new thing- seen it at every match since I started going 40+ years ago.

10. troff

troff Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Examples?

The future for my lad, not long turned sixteen, looks
    no brighter, maybe worse, than it did for me.

11. wak

wakeyred Well-Known Member

the clues in my imaginative online moniker
    Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    We worship at the feet of the God of consumerism and moral relativism. Maybe to hark back to some golden age of stable families, jobs for life, a moral code, is to gloss over many problems it masked, but no one can tell me that there have not been terrible consequences to the atomisation of society and the so-called freeing up from the idea of a common set of values to one where all opinions, feelings, behaviors can be validated as "speaking my truth" or whatever empty platitudes this kind of wrong thinking hides behind.

12. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley
    Having watched football since the 70s, I think things are much better now. No comparison at all really, the violence I saw throughout the 70s and 80s and even as late as the Birmingham play-off semi final I haven't seen for years. The only example I can think of is Millwall in the play-off final. It used to be every week.

I still see a lot of posturing, a bit like in the clip posted by the OP, but not usually so blatant. It's not pleasant but nothing like the actual violence from my formative years watching football.

IMHO, a good way to cut down on it in the stands would be if the players stopped doing it. Both Phillips and McAtee have, in recent weeks after scoring, ignored our supporters and taunted the opposition fans. We went on to lose both matches and the pair of them looked like idiots.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2024
    Red Watch, JamDrop and lk311 like this.
  13. sadbrewer

sadbrewer Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    It's nothing new, bad behaviour is part of the human condition and always has been. All the criminal offences we see and read about today were common in days gone by. I do a lot of research using the old newspaper archives and violence around football was a regular occurence even in Victorian times...not only football though, street violence, robbery etc happened in the past...we've all seen Peaky Blinders, but they weren't a one off, similar gangs operated all over the country in the 1890-1930 period, South Yorks wasn't immune, although the Sheffield gang wars are well known they weren't unique, many gangs ran protection rackets, robbed visitors, committed thefts, fought with each other, sometimes killed each other...occasionally shot Police Officers and intimidated Magistrates. The tipping point seems to have been the 1920's when the Police employed a large number of hard WW1 ex soldier's and with the blessing of the state took the violence to the gangs.

14. lk3

lk311 Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    It was different and certainly more contained but the actual ‘hooligans’ were worse in terms of violence in the 70’s & 80’s.

15. lk3

lk311 Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Literally just put something similar about 70’s&80’s.
    In fairness in my experience the trouble was more contained in the sense of it only happened if you wanted it or looked for it.
    Late 80’s and certainly early 90’s are when you started to see them with the gesturing and hitting more innocent people.