Four Home Wins in 2017

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by Conan Troutman, Nov 25, 2017.

1. Con

Conan Troutman Well-Known Member

Professional Football Fan
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Whatever suggestion I make there will be a reason why it can't be done so it's a waste of time. Some people can't look beyond the current strategy and the current ownership and see no possible alternative. It's almost as if we have been so bang average (or worse) for the past fifteen years that people now accept this as the norm.

2. Red

Red CB Well-Known Member

retired
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    No Conan , its not a waste of time , make your suggestions and lets hope for some sensible debate. I might not agree with everyone"s opinion but I do respect it , so tell us how you would change things & what are your ideas to improve things

Kettlewell and tyrone1 like this.
  3. Wig

Wiggy Active Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    The change has got to start from the top and in particular the boardroom. There seems to be a general culture of mistakes are perfectly acceptable and part and parcel of the job i.e the Marc Roberts situation which is the latest instalment. What does Barry Taylor actually do besides turning up for the odd glory photo shoot? What has Gauthier brought to the party so far despite a miserable summers transfer business. It took Hecky calling the powers that be out in the press for the transfers to actually get moving at any pace. We've lost 7 key first team players in a year yet we wait until the last minute to do all the business.

Also how are we still so reactive? It's taken Sunderland flirting with Hecky to think maybe we should offer him a better deal when he's clearly the biggest asset at the club. Out of the current playing staff Tom Bradshaw is clearly the player who will be catching other team's eye. Why don't we get him tied down to a decent deal sooner so that we can make more than a bag of Pork scratchings? Finances cant always be labelled as the problem because if the club isn't currently in a massive cash surplus we may as well given up now after the last 18 months.

All the above is based on part speculation and on part information disclosed but one thing I do know that isn't speculation is that as a club we still have the same basic targets we had a decade ago. Survival - thrilling.

Kettlewell, Jimmy viz and Redstar like this.
  4. Red

Red CB Well-Known Member

retired
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I take on board what you say & agree with some of your points , as with the obvious current situation , the current board room will change . I do not see how we can be pointing the finger at Gauthier for as you say , for a miserable summers transfer business , for I am of the understanding that a chief exec would oversee transfer business , not identify or select targets , I would have thought that would be the managers domain & for him to sort out the admin/ legal contracts etc & as far as the dealings being miserable , for me the jury is still out on a lot of players as they do not develop over night. Regarding targets for the club , there is no magic wand but what most of us would be happy to see, would be a gradual improvement & see where it takes us

Metatarsal likes this.
  5. Wig

Wiggy Active Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I point the finger at Gauthier for the timing of the recruits not the quality although I do have a sneaking suspicion we have Mido mk 2 on our hands thanks to him. The only gradual improvement I can see from using the plan is for the bank balance which I'm sure will delight the average fan. The only time the plan will see our league position improve is if the January transfer window is removed. Maybe that's what Barry is doing, lobbying the FA to end the January transfer window. I say this as any success we have on the pitch will be ripped apart in January and replaced with worse assets, as such I don't see how we can gradually improve using it.

Redstar likes this.
  6. red

redrum Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    To be fair we sold 4 players winnall (who had already told the club he wanted a move to Wednesday and wouldn' be playing after the window) bree (a good young prospect who would have gone for free in the summer) Conor (our star man who would have also gone for free in the summer) and Roberts (who the club have now said they made a mistake on this one). Debates on here just go over the same old ground yes we should have offered Conor and the rest new deals when we were promoted hindsight is great. We also shouldn' have appointed a total novice of a manager in John Hendrie when we were relegated from the premier.
    As for Brentford they have been in this division 4 seasons now? They get less fans than us but are bankrolled by a richer man than Patrick. Their model is similar to ours their keeper ex Southend, cb ex Southend, Hogan ex Rochdale they have sawyers ex Walsall. They have always signed young players from lower league some will come good other won' just like ours i imagine. Ollie watkins would have been a good signing I agree but with the man who has bankrolled Brentford to the championship I doubt we could compete on wages sad but true.

Metatarsal likes this.
  7. tobyornottoby

tobyornottoby Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    The trouble with assessments such as yours is that it comes at a time like this. Had we beaten our last 2 opponents, or maybe even avoided defeat, you most likely wouldn't have posted as you have.

And if we won the next 2 games?

So it is reactive. Though not wholly inaccurate. There are many valid points.

For what it's worth, I've not seen much down the Well this season either that makes me think we won't have a long hard winter.

Though I can't see anything clear about Bradshaw being our prize asset.

8. Con

Conan Troutman Well-Known Member

Professional Football Fan
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    What about Mawson, Bree and just letting Watkins's and Scowen's contracts run down. Replacing Bree with a loanee, Hourihane with Mowatt and Winnall with sod all. Anyway it's been done to death so no point going over old ground. We are where we are.

9. fit

fitzytyke2 Well-Known Member

Me either.

10. Jimmy viz

Jimmy viz Well-Known Member

Ballet Dancer
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    How many players are still at the club that started the first match of last season.

Sold Mawson/Bree/Roberts/Hourihane/Winnall

failed to keep Scowen/ Watkins.

Only here by luck Yiadom.

Failed to sign Morsy /Brownhill

Replaced with no one of equal talent with the possible exception of Lindsay.

If we cannot compete with Brentford and teams like them the relegation is inevitable.

Kettlewell likes this.
  11. Wig

Wiggy Active Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    His goals this season speak for themselves considering the service provided. He wouldn't need to bag many more before January for other clubs to be sniffing.

12. red

redrum Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    You did say 12 months so I never included mawson who we got a good deal for. We wouldn' pay Morsey his wage demands what Wigan who were receiving parachute payments were giving him. If you are signing young players when they come good it' inevitable they will move on. Do you honestly think Conor mawson winnall would still be here if they had 3 years left on their contract? No we would have just got more money for them. If a player wants to go should we make them stay against their wishes?
    Yeah we should be able to compete with Brentford who have a considribly richer owner than ours but are a small club....

13. red

redrum Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)

We got 5.5million for mawson offered watkins and scowern new deals but they wanted to leave one even put a transfer request in because he had 'premiership interest' and ended up at Norwich. Do you think we should keep players against their wishes? How could we move forward without a billionaire throwing money at us?

14. fit

If we replace him with someone that better suits our formation that's fine by me.

Derrick Parker hit the nail on the head when he described him as "no Sam Winall"

15. Wig

Wiggy Active Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    He would be replaced with someone of worse quality which would be less than ideal in a relegation scrap.

I agree he is no Sam Winnall but that doesn't mean he's not far and away our best striker. Shows where we are really in terms of quality.

Jimmy viz likes this.
  16. red

redrum Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    How many goals do you think winnall would of scored up top on his jack with dog **** service and no Connor.. ....... Hmm not many

17. fit

I'm not talking about goals. It's more about overall contribution to the team, and being a bit more of a handful and not as nice to play against.

18. Jimmy viz

Jimmy viz Well-Known Member

Ballet Dancer
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Loads more than Bradshaw. Bradshaw is a good honest lad and I like him but he’s not in Winnall’s class as a goal scorer.

Kettlewell and fitzytyke2 like this.
  19. fit

I really don't know mate. No one else is allowed to play as many games to compare with him to be fair.

Payne got very little by way of opportunity. 2 starts??

Now people will say trust heckys judgement on that, but hecky trusts pott's to play almost every week and he gets the dogs abuse.

20. Wig

Wiggy Active Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    The Payne decision was a strange one considering our options then and now. As for Ugbo he genuinely looks like a league two striker at best at the minute and Thiam doesn't deserve to be anywhere near the first team until he's lost two stone.