Four Home Wins in 2017

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by Conan Troutman, Nov 25, 2017.

1. red

redrum Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    You genuinely think in this current squad played up top on his own he would be in double figures? We will have to agree to disagree. Winnall may be a good goalscorer but lone striker is something he defiantly wasn't.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2017
  2. Redstar

Redstar Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Not true about Morsy.

3. fit

fitzytyke2 Well-Known Member

I'll probably upset a few people with my opinion of Bradshaw, but it's not personal against him or the people that disagree.

It's just my opinion based on what I see.

Hopefully he'll prove me wrong tomorrow. He's due a goal.

Metatarsal and Jimmy viz like this.
  4. red

redrum Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    What's the truth then?

5. Redstar

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    We didn’t not sign him due to wages. It was due to someone deciding to play silly ******** over the fee

6. fit

True, but he didn't have to be in the six yard box to score though.

7. red

redrum Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    So he was willing to take a pay cut to.move from Wigan. Hat's what a model professional my hero.

8. Jimmy viz

Jimmy viz Well-Known Member

Ballet Dancer
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Winnall often dropped back to fill the 10 role when Fletcher was here. More flexible than people realise. Over a season at Championship level I would expect that Winnall would outscore Bradshaw whatever the formation. He’s a ***** human being but a great goal scorer. Bradshaw’s main problem seems to be speed of thought and N inability to find/create space. Like I like him. Of the current lot he’s probably my favourite player but he needs to kick on.

Let’s be honest in the League Bradshaw has scored 4. The Fletcher OG is ridiculous and the Pearson goal equally so.

9. red

redrum Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I agree on that too his best partner was watkins who did the donkey work and he was blessed to play in the same side as Conor for so long. But yeah good finisher if have him back he has disappared of late

10. jagzz88

jagzz88 Well-Known Member

Construction
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    For us to get on with it nothing else, we can't spend the sort of money that 90% of teams in this league spend so we got to make the most of what we've got which is very little for the championship. Without investment very few teams will do well in this league we had the magic formula last season but ballsed up with the contracts that summer it may be some time before we get into a similar position again.

On a positive note there are 3 worse teams than us this season and we won't go down hopefully build from there. COYR

11. fit

Shame we couldn't have had fletcher last season. He and winnall did well together at the back end of the promotion season. Would have liked to see how that worked at this level.

12. Met

Metatarsal Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I think to have a realistic chance of progression to the level of being able to genuinely compete for a top 6 place, or better, we are going to need significant and sustained investment, far more than what I suspect the Chein Lee group are willing or able to put in.

We have made good money in the last year or so, to the detriment of the team in the short term, and only time will tell if a truly competitive team comes together again. I'd also speculate that of the transfer fees for the likes of Mawson, Hourihane, Roberts and the windfall for Stones, we will receive income in stages over 3 years or so. I've no evidence to back that up but it wouldn't surprise me. So arguably there's some insurance by having steady income in reserve should the worst happen and we drop back to League 1 and lose TV revenue. I think @Jimmy cricket has a good view on this, something he's said repeatedly, about us being well prepared for the division below in regard of budget and playing staff, with the relative success of surviving in the championship being something that someone like me is happy with, for now, but yes I do dream about play off pushes, promotion and so on. Once in 130 years tells its own story to a degree though and that success was in a time of more financial parity, certainly in the second tier. The high income we have at present won't last long if a gamble at promotion fails spectacularly. I reckon there are at least 13 or 14 clubs in our division who have budgets way above ours for both transfer fees and wages. They're either bankrolled, getting parachute payments or spending what they haven't got. Only 3 of them can get a return on this each season. I think Sheff Utd are doing brilliantly, no idea what their budget is, but their gates must help. They also have a backer. If we finish at the top of the rest then in my opinion it's a job well done. Especially this season and probably for another 2 or 3.

But whilst I'm content at present and can accept slow progress forwards or a season or two treading water, the time will come where frustration sets in and simply surviving feels defeatist. I wouldnt criticise anyone for that, we all support our team for that reason I guess. But I'm way off that at present.

In the 37 years I've followed BFC, I think I've seen 4 teams people felt were capable of top 6 positions, and those teams (80-82) (96-98) (99-00) and (15-17). We've achieved a top 6 place in the second tier on 4 occasions in that time, Wilson v1 getting a pretty surprising but brilliant season out of that 94-95 team too. Whilst player turnover wasn't anywhere close to this past 12 months, all those sides broke up quickly and were replaced by lesser quality, perhaps other than the 94/5 team which Wilson improved, but it took a stale season inbetween to get there.

So I think much of how we all see differently the present situation at the club is equally valid. No argument with anyone saying there have been better times to be a fan of BFC. But in the context of seeing the club really on its arse, with players on unaffordable contracts for league 1, stabilise and somehow get back into the Championship inside 2 years, I genuinely do think we are in a good place for many reasons. And whilst it does frustrate the pure supporter in me, the one that dreams so to speak, 2002 administration rings loudly in my ears. For that reason I can't criticise the choice to protect BFC financially for a few years.

13. Redstar

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Wigan were paying him off, it was all agreed

14. fit

Bloody heck! That's a long one big boy

15. Met

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I haven't heard that since before I met my wife.......

fitzytyke2 likes this.
  16. fit

Did you catch her with another man?

Metatarsal likes this.
  17. Met

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I met her on a cold cold day.....

fitzytyke2 likes this.