Fulham Match

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by MDG, Jan 28, 2018.

1. MDG

MDG Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Hate to be negative but I'm still trying to work out what positives Gardner gives the side when he plays. Not been impressed at any display so far this season, maybe with the exception of 1 game. That sort of return ain't good enough to hold down a place.

Still on Gardner, can anyone explain what he was trying to do exactly for Fulhams 3rd when the ball came across the box... Literally steps over the ball purposely then falls on the deck..

Hoping Williams comes back into the side and develops a good partnership with Mallan.

Impressed on the whole with Mallans corners, far better than what we have had for a while.

Moore worked his socks off, hopefully just gets better and looks like we have a decent player there.

Yids was my MOTM though, worked hard and broke a lot of the play up down his flank when Fulham were on the attack..

Cavare, well lets hope he has learned a lesson about keeping his head, has some serious work to put in now to restore faith with the other players, coaching staff and fans alike. Obviously cost us dear, when we can't afford to be dropping points. Angry because we looked on top and were performing very well in that 1st half.

Hoping to see another 2/3 faces come into bolster the squad. Controlling CM, goal poaching CF with pace to burn, GK...

PS...Davies - Please stop this time wasting business... OK accept it may ad something for the last couple of mins if we are hanging on to 3 points but at any other time it just boils my p$&%

2. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley
    Thought Gardner was very good again. Head and shoulders above any other midfielder we have on the books. Pushed Yids for motm for me. Passed well, covered ground, ran with the ball, tackled. After a poor start to his Barnsley career, I now think he's the key to us staying up.

Indie Red likes this.
  3. Mid

Mido Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I’d have to disagree Gardner was class on Saturday and did so much work off the ball that stopped Fulham playing. It was a **** up for the last goal but he’d just run all the way back after a gruelling 90 minutes and made a mistake, hardly criminal. He was dog **** when he first came but he’s one of our key players now and I just hope he stays fit until the end of the season for us.

4. Thrappo Tyke

Thrappo Tyke Well-Known Member

Personnel Assistant
    Thrapston, Northamptonshire, United Kingdom
    Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    Totally agree. Seems to be getting better every game. Not sure it's at all likely, but would love to see us sign him permanently, starting to look a real class act

5. Red

Red CB Well-Known Member

retired
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I would love us to sign Gardner on a permanent deal , I disagree with the OP about last saturday as I thought he had a very good game & to me , he is a mirror image of Matty James last season , as his fitness levels improved so have his performances & before anyone jumps on me , I am not comparing them as players , just showing the similarity in fitness & performance levels

John Peachy and Redstone like this.
  6. Redstone

Redstone Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    Got to hold my hands up i slated him early on as not putting effort in or wanting to be here. But his fitness was obviously the issue and he has been one of our better players over the last month for me.

7. Andy Mac

Andy Mac Well-Known Member

IT
    Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    Agree with all posts but the original. Didn't impress me when he arrived but recently (and especially Saturday) he convinced me that he should be one of our priorities if we are to pull off a decent permy signing before the window shuts. Class act - fits in well with how we play.

8. Red

Red CB Well-Known Member

retired
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    My worry is, that his improvement & performance levels will have been monitored by our competitors in this league & I would be very disappointed if one of our rivals nipped in and signed him under our noses

9. troff

troff Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I thought he was immense in the middle on Saturday, stopped them playing.

He couldn’t stop their midfield three from reffing though but hardly his fault.

Maybe the op doesn’t see the value in a midfield player who does more defensive work than offensive. I can assure them though that without such a player we’d have been overran on saturday. As it was, with eleven men, we were well on top.

10. JLWBigLil

JLWBigLil Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    In my opinion, he's been excellent since Christmas. He's tackled well, with impressive distribution of the ball. When we've been up against two top teams such as Wolves & Fulham, the lad has looked as good as anyone on the pitch and not shirked his responsibilities. Williams, on the other hand, showed reckless, irresponsible immaturity against Millwall which then created unnecessary selection problems for Hecky in the following three games.

11. fit

fitzytyke2 Well-Known Member

Don't you think goods come out of bad though mate? Yeah, we're still not winning games, but for me Williams suspension has given Gardner the holding role and he's excelled in that position, which makes you wonder if the two of them were cramping one another's style by playing together?

Could be the difference in sending Gardner back having misjudged him, and getting the best out of him for the remaining. - maybe even getting him on a permanent deal?

Metatarsal and JLWBigLil like this.
  12. JLWBigLil

JLWBigLil Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    That's a very good point, old mate. I like the cut of your jib, sir.

fitzytyke2 likes this.
  13. MDG

MDG Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Still disagree, really focused my attention v Fulham on Gardner and Mallan did far more work and covered more ground than him... Yet to be convinced. I'll watch his performance should he play v QPR to see if I am being harsh on him.

14. Con

Conan Troutman Well-Known Member

Professional Football Fan
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Problem with Gardner is that every time he has the ball at his feet he looks for the easy option. Very few of his passes hurt the opposition. Seems acceptable in the modern game though.

15. MDG

MDG Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Just has a look at some detailed stats which seems to agree with my current view on Gardner. Performed well v's Wolves, but these stats also have him down as the poor performer on Saturday with a rating of 5.8... Thiam even ended up with 5.89..

16. Andy Mac

Andy Mac Well-Known Member

IT
    Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    5.89 was the time it took him to cover 10 metres

MDG likes this.
  17. MDG

MDG Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Nope, it was the metres covered.

18. Brush

Brush Well-Known Member

Ex-IT professional
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I thought all the midfield were excellent in the first half, with Moncur putting in some good graft. I really don't understand the stick he gets on here.

19. troff

troff Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Oh well if the stats back you, you must be right...

Only if those stats give Thiam a higher rating in the game - and a rating of nearly 6/10 - for his amble round for ten minutes avoiding getting his boots mucky never mind his kit, I think it’s safe to say the stats are a tad flawed.

(For tad flawed, read absolute ******).

20. Kev

Kev tarn BFC Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Even tho I think Gardner has played well of late Williams has been consistently our best player this season, out of all the games that he’s been suspended for we havnt won one of them that’s not a coincidence, we need him back ASAP