Gary Mackay-Steven

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board ARCHIVE' started by Johnny the tyke, Jul 15, 2014.

1. arabian_ian

arabian_ian Well-Known Member

Retired
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Sorry I just worked out what you were on about.

Wide left midfielder/winger. Not so effective when he is played on the right.

2. Hem

Hemsworth Tyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Honestly don't think we'd start. Jennings/ RNL

3. Gor

Gordon Ottershaw Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    There's no point in even considering what the club would do if we offered £1.2m because there's absolutely no way that is anywhere near the truth. I can't see us offering any more than £200k for any one player, no matter how good he is.

The thing that you have to consider though is that the Scottish Premier isn't where the money is, so if a player has any inclination to make money out of his career and has a chance to move to the English league he will take it. Not necessarily to Barnsley, of course, although I imagine our top earners are at least on a par with DUFCs top earners at the moment. Any Reds signings for the foreseeable future won't be getting anything like that though. But if he were to get a move to any Championship side above the bottom six he'd almost definitely be increasing his salary and putting himself in more of a shop window for a future transfer. Maybe we could have nicked someone from DUFC on the strength of the shop window thingy before we got relegated, but I can't imagine that we'd be attractive enough for a highly rated player from a top Scottish team at the moment, from either a salary or a shop window point of view. He'd have to be doing something special to get spotted by a bigger club whilst languishing in a mid-table league one side, and as we're hardly likely to be able to offer him better wages he's better off staying where he is unless a better offer comes in from a Championship club.

4. Gol

Goldthorpe-Red Well-Known Member

Courier at DPD group UK.
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Can't believe what I'm reading if I'm honest. Dundee United are a better team than us right now, and we're not in any position to mock anyone's team. I'm 100% certain that if ian wasn't such a respectful fella he would give at least 20 reasons right now as to why we would have no chance of signing GMS. I almost feel like I need to apologise for 'someones' comments, tossers.

Is this lad as good as they say ian? What was he like last season? Age? Etc etc...

5. NIGHTMARE

NIGHTMARE Banned Idiot

If he signs a 4 year deal is the only way the 1.2 can be true and it include wages and transfer fee

6. The

The Albatross Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    The club have done this over the years, make crap bids for top players knowing full well they won't sign.

I remember us making a £150k bid for a young Freddie Llungberg, he signed for Arsenal a month later for a million quid.

Keeps the fans happy though knowing we are trying to sign quality players!

7. Wat

Watcher_Of_The_Skies Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Damned if they do, damned if they don't. Glad im not running a football club. However if i was I'd do it from on here as it's obviously really easy.

Anyhow....I'd be surprised on the face of it if he came as he looks like he should be on the radar of championship clubs and im guessing that's where he might want to move. On the other hand if he wants away and no one else has come in for him, he might see us as a stepping stone.

Still, if you don't ask you don't get. If Steele is sold that's maybe £300k(?) off the wage bill, so we might be able to go back with a better offer.

8. Wat

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Here you go...

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/...dundee-united-star-gary-mackay-steven-3232476

Last edited: Jul 16, 2014
  9. Wat

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Dundee United reject bid for Gary Mackay-Steven

http://www.scotsman.com/sport/footb...d-reject-bid-for-gary-mackay-steven-1-3477870

10. arabian_ian

Retired
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Darfield no need to apologise for anything or anyone. We are all passionate about our respective clubs and our clubs are the best in the world. Which is of course nonsense. GMS is good and at times very good. Possesses good ball skills and can take defences apart. Of course the other side of that argument is it has been Scottish defences he has been destroying. Last season he started off well but lost form after the Christmas break and never really captured the early season sparkle. I think it must have been then he decided he wanted the change. I'd be sorry to see him leave and TBH quite happy if he ended up at Barnsley. But money to United and his personal wage demands which would most definitely be more than what he is getting ATM and you guys now playing in Div 1 might all be enough to make him look else where.

11. barnsley66

barnsley66 Well-Known Member

Learner Support Assistant/Happy Clapper
    Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    From what I remember we were going to sign him. Then he had a blinder for Sweden against England and Arsenal jumped in for him.

Don't see how you can blame the club for that.

12. Dja

Django Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Are most of the posters on here bullshitters or do you all watch Scottish footy & lower league English footy?

Every time we are linked with a player from one of then divisions there seems to be loads on here with an opinion.

I watch plenty of premier league, plenty of championship & bits of La Liga & the Bundesliga, how do you find the time to watch league 1, 2 & the SPL?

I can't help thinking we've got a lot of liars as fans or a lot of folk who must watch football 24/7.

If it wasn't for taking the Scottish managers job on FIFA I would've never heard of Mackay-Stephen!

13. Ext

Extremely Northern Well-Known Member

Professional Northerner.
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Hehehehehehe.

14. arabian_ian

Retired
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Well unfortunately you are all going to be watching lower league football this year.

15. JLWBigLil

JLWBigLil Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Scottish football is shown weekly on BBC Alba & regularly on BT Sports. I try to ensure I get to see Dundee United every time they're on (usually after being given the heads up by Arabian Ian:D).

16. The

The Albatross Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    ********. He was never signing for us, and there's been loads the same over the years

17. jedstar

jedstar Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Noticed that myself, obviously all comes from Wikipedia

18. Dja

Django Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    To be fair I've seen a few of you talk about Dundee United on here.

I've no doubt some on here are genuine but I just can't believe the amount of fans who know about individual players in league 1, 2 & the SPL.

I'll be honest I don't think I've watched a Scottish game since Rangers were in the SPL & I've not watched a League 1 game (other than the play offs) since Leeds were down there & I'd sometimes put them on to hopefully see them get beat.

19. Dragon Tyke

Dragon Tyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I used to go and watch Inverness Caledonian Thistle

when I was stationed at RAF Kinloss, also went to watch the local side Forres Mechanics in the Highland League.
    was rarely not entertained.

20. Hem

Hemsworth Tyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I watch plenty of football you mentioned