Good luck to all Teachers on Strike today

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board ARCHIVE' started by Durkar Red, Oct 1, 2013.

1. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley
    Some people are for more regular holidays but shorter, some like it the way it is. I don't think you'd get much fuss kicked up whichever way they did. Well, you always get fuss when you change things in whatever profession, but it wouldn't be massive. There is talk of this happening.

You can plan well in advance. Some teachers use their holidays to plan for a whole term. Others do it on a week by week basis. More regular holidays might help those that like to plan in advance, but not massively so.

Marking is done when the children finish their work. It needs to be done quickly in order to give feedback, see who is doing well and who isn't and plan future lessons accordingly. Children don't do work in the holidays. No work, no marking, so it wouldn't really help at all.

I don't think teachers sit around twiddling their thumbs in the holidays mate. They take a much needed rest and then indulge in the hobbies they haven't got time to do during the terms.

2. t'owd man

t'owd man Well-Known Member

Skivvy for r lass
    Style:
    XenForo - Xenith Reds
    Because the idiots believe every thing they read in the right wing tory press.

3. dek

dekparker Well-Known Member

HGV Driver
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    a odd day here and there on strike wont change one thing this government does.

4. LiverpoolRed

LiverpoolRed Well-Known Member

Liverpool, Liverpool, United Kingdom, 105653082800
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Lost count of the things I do for the kids outside of hours - football, cricket, cross country , It , extra tuition, athletics, dance comps haven't even mentioned school holidays to activity centres giving up my evenings and weekends. You're right - we do nothing for kids

5. JDB

JDB Active Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    The strike has worked though - it's got ordinary people talking about something that will have a massive effect on the future of their kids. It's given teachers a right of reply and let people cut through the propaganda that's regularly spouted in the press.

These days strikes are different than in the past - unions aren't using them to cause disruption and 'force' change (although some disruption has happened). They're using the strike to create a discussion that will bring people up to speed with what is going on.

6. dreamboy3000

dreamboy3000 Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    If that word isn't acceptable around kids, if one asked you who Ozil plays for and who is manager is would you reply that he plays for Nal and his manager is Ne Venger?

7. Dragon Tyke

Dragon Tyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    so do you come from

nthorpe then

8. dek

dekparker Well-Known Member

HGV Driver
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I know exactly what and why they are doing it,I just don't think it will change the course of the government.The tories are carrying on with the work started by thatcher and co.I've lost count of the amount of days I had on strike in the eighties where we were trying to not only defend our rights but attempting to gain the support of the masses.
    I honestly believe that todays strikes of the odd day here and there are just that because the workers couldn't afford to take anymore time off work,nearly thirty years on from our strike a lot of people are mortgaged up to the hilt as well as having other form of credit,of which they simply cant afford to miss a payment.Make no mistake if the unions could cause disruption by using force they would,its just that they know they cant rally the troops these days,The day of action may have raised their plight but today its forgot about.
    I own a convenience store these days and after listening to the comments of the majority of customers(many of them ex miners like myself) I think the general line of thinking is that teachers already have a decent crack and therefore don't attract much sympathy.
    I cant think of a single instance where 'discussion' with the tories from the thatcher era onwards,has achieved anything.
    Other than the nurses there arnt many public sector jobs that carry enough weight to gather real public support,sad but true.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2013