Good old Lineker

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by sadbrewer, Sep 15, 2020.

1. sadbrewer

sadbrewer Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Taken a 25 percent cut in wages from the BBC....got to struggle along on only £1.3 million now.

thetykester and Redhelen like this.
  2. Redhelen

Redhelen Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I like him as a presenter (and as a footballer). I'm sure there are a lot more presenters I'm not so bothered about on stupid money too.

3. BBB

BBBFC Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    What would you like him to do? Also, what's the going rate for presenting football-based TV shows? I wonder how much Jeff Stelling takes home.

And before anyone starts with the 'bbc is paid by tax' argument, I don't care. Everyone uses it. If you tell me you watch no terrestrial TV, listen to no BBC radio, never read bbc.co.uk and never watch anything produced by the BBC, ITV or Channel 4 via Netflix or whoever, I'll call you a liar.

You might only appreciate 2% of their output, but that's probably the same for everybody. I hate Strictly Come Dancing, but the Mrs hates Praise or Grumble. That's life.

4. portsmouth tyke

portsmouth tyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)

I heard last year Stelling was on 20k a week, no problem with that because you don't have to have to have sky, its your choice.

bfc1001 likes this.
  5. BBB

BBBFC Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Fair enough. However, if the BBC were turned to a subscription model as many people want, do you think its coverage would be as broad as it is now? International cricket, radio 6 music, investigative TV journalism, soaps, Saturday night primetime dance offs, cbeebies, a Welsh and a Gaelic channel. Where do each of those things stand in the market - would they be easily replaced by competition that already exists or would they disappear due to lack of interest (think about bus routes since the market was privatised - you HAD to use Tracky back then, but you don't see many people talking about how much better the service is nowadays)? Would that be a good thing or a bad thing?

6. Sco

Scoff Well-Known Member

The interface between business and technology
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    £20k per week is £1m per year. That suggests that the going rate is ~£1m per year for a football pundit working for a nationwide broadcaster. If the BBC want the best, they have to pay at or above that rate.

TitusMagee and TonyTyke like this.
  7. portsmouth tyke

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)

Jesus mate, Whats with the ????? I just pointed out how much stelling gets and If people begrudge anyone of any channel then dont subscribe or bin your licence fee, i pay for a licence btw, some quality programmes tbf, i just think a million a year to front say match of the day or soccer Saturday for a 5/ 6 hours a week is mental, I'm binning my sky in Jan, not because I think its **** , I think its quality but I dont want to contribute to the the billions sky give to the PL when lg 1/ lg 2 clubs are in financial train crashes

8. Stephen Dawson

Stephen Dawson Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I once bought a packet of Salt and Lineker crisps and ate the contents and put the empty packet inside one of my Dad's James Herriot books on the countryside. Only to find that they would only be worth something with the contents intact.

It's still tucked neatly in the centre of the book on my Dad's bookshelf.

Redhelen likes this.
  9. BBB

BBBFC Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Fair dos, sorry if you thought that was directly aimed at you (it wasn't). I just can't stand the anti-tv licence arguments you get. I bloody love the BBC. I'd agree with you on sky too, I don't object to both things existing, it's just the distortion of footballing finance. And removing cricket from terrestrial TV for 15 years didn't help!

portsmouth tyke and Redhelen like this.
  10. Sim

Simon De Montforte Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I don't get why pundits are paid so much. There are 100s of ex managers and players who would do it for a tenth of what Lineker is on. I tape match of the day or watch it on iplayer then wizz through all the punditry and crap jokes in between. I only want to watch the football not analysis for 10mins after every game. I daresay Harry Bassett would do it for £100,000 pa lol.

11. Redhelen

Redhelen Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    That made me laugh!!

12. kir

kirkhamtyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    He's taken the cut so that he earns the same as the highest paid female presenter.

13. North Yorks Red

North Yorks Red Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Don't see your argument, you could watch any other terrestrial station anyway.
    Its the dear old beeb that are robbing us, the percentage of stuff I watch on there is very small the fact they are taking the licence fee gives folk the right to query anything they do IMHO.
    They should move with the times like all the other broadcasters

14. BBB

BBBFC Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    But it's not robbery, is it? There is still some stuff they put out you use/enjoy, you've just said that. That was the main part of my argument. It's a national service. You can query what they do, it's just when they're hauled over the coals for trying to please differing segments of the population that it gets ridiculous.

How would you like them to move with the times? Introduce a free-to-view streaming service available to all using current and archive programming? They did that years ago, first in the country if I remember. When Netflix were still posting people DVDs.

15. Nardiello

Nardiello Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Putin's bots and the right wing rags started to spread anti-BBC sentiment a while back. Not sure why, but it's worked and people are for some reason against it now.

I think the range of work the BBC does would be sorely missed if the license fee was ever scrapped.

Whether that means Lineker is worth a million a year or not, I dunno. He's great in my opinion

16. North Yorks Red

North Yorks Red Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Easy move to being self sufficient,the point is I can choose if I want Netflix or Amazon, I can't with the BBC, if I had the chance to opt out of the licence fee and not watch it, I don't think I'd miss it.

17. Redstone

Redstone Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    Just gone through the process of cancelling my licence and it isn't easy. Then they said they owe me about 70 quid but if I want it back I have to print off and fill in a form.

18. Redstone

Redstone Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    I access some BBC content, I still don't like being forced to pay for it if I want to watch any TV. It doesn't represent value for money for me.

19. portsmouth tyke

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    No problem, yes they took the cricket, Formula 1, feel for the ones who genuinely can't afford sky/ virgin etc.

20. thetykester

thetykester Well-Known Member

Retired
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Crowdfunding anyone? Let's pull him through this :rolleyes: