Govt giving £7.5mill + to help Wentworth Woodhouse

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board ARCHIVE' started by Dragon Tyke, Nov 23, 2016.

1. fre

fred dibnah Active Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Re: well its a start I guess

"It makes me laugh. This is marvellous news that a treasure will survive but yet fixing Buckingham Palace up is an outrage. (For the record, I think both of them being fixed is good news). "

People would be pissed offf about WW getting the money if it had a billionaire owner who wasn't contributing.

2. Tarntyke

Tarntyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Re: Govt giving £7.5mill + , to help Wentworth Woodhouse

It's true that this area has done very well out of EU funding, and in no way would it have received anywhere near the same amount of monies had it been left to to Central Govt, particularly the Tories. That's not being anti-Brexit

3. Sup

SuperTyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Re: well its a start I guess

Isn't the difference that one is lived in by one of the world's richest woman and that a large proportion of the renovations are for the none public areas of the house (Buckingham palace is after actually an house) and this is renovations of what will be a public building.

How much money is directly generated from the boilers and electricity supply at Buckingham palace? The buildings existence brings in tourism to the capital but does the queens bedroom having nice wallpaper make any difference to Joe public?

4. PLOBBY

PLOBBY Well-Known Member

keep yer nose out
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    They've had the money in the past and plenty of it . Services were no better then than what they are now . What I would like to know is that Barnsley Council said they had 30 million pounds a year extra under the Labour govt . Where the he'll did it go Mr Houghton !

5. Red

Red-Taff. Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I thought the Coal Board had eventually and reluctantly accepted that much of the damage to the house was caused by coal mining subsidence and the Court had ruled that the CB must compensate the owner.

6. Tarntyke

Tarntyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Of course services are worse now than in the past and it's countrywide not just locally. It's repeated In the media often enough that the effects of cuts in Community care etc are having significant effects on the NHS. Patients attending hospital when previously there used to be facilities out there that would have dealtcared for them.

7. Jimmy viz

Jimmy viz Well-Known Member

Ballet Dancer
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    There's been a defecit in social care for the last 30 years due to social demographics and an ageing population. 30 million quid is almost nothing in terms of the lag. It's country wide and a real present problem.

8. PLOBBY

PLOBBY Well-Known Member

keep yer nose out
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Nonsense mate im in the middle of it now and I was years ago during the Labour govt. It was crap then and it's crap now . We can all use intelligent looking sentences and comments but the reality is that beaurocrats, councillors and politicians all piss in the same pot no matter which political denomination they adhere to . Im sure Mr Houghton can see the finishing line where hangs his 100k a year pension pot ,he'll not be too worrired about the disabled , shortfall in funds or social injustice then willl he .He'll not be walking past peel street bogs like the rest of us with hands in pockets or covering hand bags in fear or the smack heads will he .Dont rely on any Political party cos you'll be ultimately disappointed. Sir Steve ! Self preservation .

9. tyr

tyrone1 Banned Idiot

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)

It's absolutely scandalous

We have public sector workers been made redundant and not reviving a pay increase for a number of years yet they are chucking money away on this

That's what we have the lottery for

10. tyr

tyrone1 Banned Idiot

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)

It's absolutely scandalous

We have public sector workers been made redundant and not reviving a pay increase for a number of years yet they are chucking money away on this

That's what we have the lottery for

11. Euroman

Euroman Well-Known Member

Training and Development Consultant retired
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Re: not exactly privately owned

The Family who own the house bought it for £1 million and have been trying to make a killing on it for years. A sale for £8 million fell through earlier this year. The house needs about £40 million to restore it and then what do you get. An empty old house.

The Fitzwilliams emptied the house, which is two not one house, when they abandoned the house in lieu of death duties.

It will cost a fortune to restore but it has no function. People are not going to visit an empty house in numbers. The word White and Elephant springs to mind.

12. PLOBBY

PLOBBY Well-Known Member

keep yer nose out
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)

I've been on a guided tour of the house and although it's very grand , it's also very unusual. Its used a lot for TV and film sets , its like they've left all the props behind .One thing that did stick in my mind is that the guide said they had located one of the original fire places which to buy ,repair and fit cost 30k . I'm all for restoring it but 7.5 million aint gonna be enough .

13. red

redarmytyke Member

Steel

Some of the negative posts on here has left me incensed. £7.5 mil....better spent on other things....blah blah blah.

So earlier this year I took a client from Brazil on a tour around the house. He was amazed, loved the history etc, went back to Brazil and ordered enough from us to keep six lads in local jobs for at least a year. Now coming back in 2017 with other colleagues to buy more equipment....first priority visit Wentowrth Woodhouse!!

So before we all start whinging about it being a waste of money, go as the lads that work for me what they think about the place, then ask the new lads just employed to build the 2017 order what they think....

Hope this puts a different perspective on what seems be a negative subject

14. Jimmy viz

Jimmy viz Well-Known Member

Ballet Dancer
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Not sure that saying you would rather spend the money on the elderly and the sick is negative. I live close by and from a selfish point of view it's great. The bigger picture of someone stuck in a hospital bed cos they can't get home care not so great.

15. Xer

Xerxes Well-Known Member

Ex-oil Company Project Director
    West Riding of Yorkshire or St Selve, France
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    If it hadn't been for the scandalous actions of the Glaswegian, Mannie Shinwell and the post war Labour Government, the bill for restoration would not be the figure it is now. Opencast mining, virtually up to the front door, was an act of total vandalism.

16. Redstar

Redstar Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    It isn't just the open cast mining it is mining in general

17. tobyornottoby

tobyornottoby Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Absolutely right. There should never have been any mining around here.

18. Euroman

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)

A mate of mine use to teach canoeing to the young ladies when it was Lady Mabel College. It was for PE teaching. Well, the girl I use to date there was a PE student. It was an all ladies College.

On Sunday nights they held a Disco in the vaulted cellars. It was hard getting in to the place, it was the late 60s, but my mate had no problems getting us in. The silly bugger actually married one of them.

Men must have been out numbered by the girls at least 10 to 1. I don't think I have ever been a popular with the ladies.

I was only 17 at the time and the girl I was dating was an ancient 19 year old. It was so long ago I can't even remember her name, but she lived in Gateshead.

19. Euroman

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I don't think it was mined under. The Fitzwilliams owned the local mines until 1948. After the War coal was needed to rebuild the nation. Shimwell did what he thought was best for the Country. The place was poorly built in the first place. When they owned the house the Fitzwilliams spent little on it and they didn't modernise it. They had other homes in Malton, Cambridgeshire and Ireland.

20. Euroman

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I doubt that his pension pot is £100000 a year. Can you prove this with hard facts?