Harold 'Dickie' Bird .... Blades number 1 fan!!

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by NeilStatedArt, Aug 19, 2017.

1. Sta

Stahlrost Well-Known Member

None
    Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    All this talk of him being tight. He bought me a pint once. He offered to buy me another too, but I was driving. I find his comments sad, but they are those of an old man who was clearly somewhat oiled up.

2. Journo Tyke

Journo Tyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    I can absolutely guarantee he meant in the other way. He's a massive Barnsley fan and wouldn't have wanted us to lose that game or any other.

The tie issue is nothing, he'd have been given it to wear when he arrived. The prediction was nothing, let's face it he got a one goal win for the Blunts right.

As usual people try and beat him with a stick at every opportunity.

3. Journo Tyke

Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    I have done, it didn't come across that way to me, but then again I don't look to pick on him at every opportunity like most of our fans.

4. Plankton Pete

Plankton Pete Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I'm not having a go at him, I'm simply pointing out that you stated someone was a liar as you thought Dickie Bird did not say he was supporting Sheffield Utd, whereas in the video he explicitly states '...and that's why today I'll be supporting Sheffield Utd'.

5. Sopwith Camel

Sopwith Camel Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    As Jay sez... Always been one for a freebie as Dickie..

6. Journo Tyke

Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    He didn't say that.

7. Plankton Pete

Plankton Pete Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    You win, you're right he never said he was supporting Sheffield Utd, despite the video contradicting that and everyone else who listened hearing him say so.

8. pon

pontyender Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    He actually said that he was "supporting The Blades". I should have put it in speech marks at the time. I didn't realise at the time that you were actually calling ME a liar. Apology please.

9. MarioKempes

MarioKempes Well-Known Member

Project Manager
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Not to mention the behaviour of the club, the player and some of their fans over the Hume incident. Tevez also springs to mind.

I hate that club more than any other in existence.

10. Journo Tyke

Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    For the love of God he wasn't saying he was supporting Sheffield United in that match. Yes he wore a tie, yes he predicted a Sheff Utd win but he didn't say he wanted them to win the match.

It's staggering that people are so riled by this and having a go at a frail old man who is a huge Barnsley fan and extremely proud to be from Barnsley.

Clearly the video itself was a stitch-up by their media team anyway because it's been removed.

Darren Gough gets the same abuse because he likes Spurs as well. He's still very proud of being from Barnsley and champions the place yet because he doesn't live here anymore and isn't at Oakwell every week he should be shamed.

Get a life the lot of you. That's the last I'm saying on it.

Marlon and DavidCurriesMullet like this.
  11. Jack Tatty

Jack Tatty Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)

He did say he was supporting them.

Next time we play Leeds at home shall we all wear their replica kit and start singing marching on together?

12. Sta

Stahlrost Well-Known Member

None
    Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    I once bought a Middlesbrough tie and wore it when we played at the Riverside a few years ago.

I'd got an invite for a pre-match meal in their executive area, but when we arrived we discovered that men had to wear ties, otherwise they wouldn't be allowed in. The only option we had was to purchase some ties from their club shop, so we did. I intentionally wore mine the wrong way round, with the long narrow but in front of the short fat bit, so that the badge wasn't visible. The great Craig Hignett was the host and he spoke warmly about his time with the Reds.

Given the amount of beer we had it was a good job I didn't get interviewed, otherwise there'd have been a thread about me on here.

Journo Tyke likes this.
  13. Mrs

MrsHallsToffeerolls Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Aye owt for nowt, Dickie.

This thread meks me think some of yer are missing Hemsie.

14. Con

Connor Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I sat in sheff Utd end yesterday and used my brothers season tickets , although I had my Barnsley socks on for the game

15. DusThaNoIII

DusThaNoIII Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    my grandfatha goes to tarn games with me and Sheffield Wednesday games with my cousin having had a tarn season ticket for years and years in his younger days are all you big men going to cyber bully that old man too?

DavidCurriesMullet likes this.
  16. pon

pontyender Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    You have either listened to an abridged version or you have selective hearing. He DEFINITELY did say he was "supporting The Blades". I only contributed to this thread to correct you and Nudge.

17. Donny Red

Donny Red Well-Known Member

Retired.
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I don't know him personally. As previously said I've only been in the same room as him over lunch twice at the
    Talbot Inn in Mapplewell. He came over as an affable sort. One story he told that sums him up is when he bought a
    Jag, parked it on the drive and then had a wall and gates erected to fence in his prize acquisition.

Trouble was, the gates were set too narrow to get the car through and the wall and gate pillars had to be knocked down and rebuilt.

He's 84, same age as my wife's Dad. Like him Dickies memory is probably poor, he's probably hard of hearing and not for one
    minute did he probably ever think his words would be posted on Social media. We know he's not one for refusing a freebie (he's a Yorkshireman) and judging by the foam either side of his gob, he'd enjoyed a few or three and had enjoyed their free ale & snap ( like I once did). As a wily old bird, he's going to say 'owt to make sure he gets invited back again.

If I recall he said he was " supporting" Sheffield United on that day re- Collins Dictionary " a person who is interested in and wishes success for a particular sports team." His prediction was right the Blades won.

In fairness, he did not say he was supporting Sheffield United in deference to Barnsley FC.
    What happened was deliberate entrapment and for me, he didn't mean it, because he didn't start crying whilst he was
    saying it.!

Opinion is divided and yes what he said was ill advised , but in my opinion doesn't warrant the criticism he's receiving.
    From the times I heard him talk in the Talbot there was no doubt where his true allegiance lies.....Barnsley FC.

18. SirPsychoSexy

SirPsychoSexy Banned Idiot

Style:
    XenForo - Xenith Reds
    If I remember rightly, we played Sheffield United at Bramall lane the season before they were relegated. Before the game they aired a video package on the scoreboard featuring the cast of Kes and Chris Morgan, it was an obvious attempt to wind us up, so they have got form for it.

19. sal

salesman Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Some call him tight maybe he is but by all accounts he has given thousands of pounds to Barnsley hospital in aid of their Tiny Hearts appeal and that makes him ok in my eyes, I couldn't care less which football team he supports,its time some people who use this forum grew up

Journo Tyke likes this.
  20. Journo Tyke

Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    Yep and there's the Dickie Bird Foundation which raises money to help disadvantaged kids get involved in sport. And he paid for the new players balcony or similar at Headingley. But let's ignore the facts and have a go at him over a pint he didn't buy or other nonsense.