Harry Windsors getting married

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by RedKestrel, Nov 27, 2017.

1. How

HowMuch! Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Me too

arabian_ian likes this.
  2. Til

Tilertoes Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I'd love you to be independent.

3. arabian_ian

arabian_ian Well-Known Member

Retired
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Now we are getting somewhere. I'll drink to that. ;)

4. upt

upthecolliers Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Who can blame a Scott for wanting Independence, 7 years of this government, a Brexit that could be worse than the 7 years of austerity and counting? and now we are having to pay for a Wedding that will run into the 10's of thousands of pounds and there are people using food banks, and the NHS is in a crisis.
    Only trouble is the faulty S.N.P.

5. arabian_ian

Retired
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Colliers you have not mentioned the billions to renew Trident, the billions for a high speed rail link to Manchester which will be of absolutely no use to me. and the billions to the DUP just to keep this shower of total halfwits in power.

Give me strength. Why would anyone want to remain within this broken and unworkable sham of a union?

6. RedKestrel

RedKestrel Well-Known Member

TAL
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Shame we ant got a northern version of the snp ... the South fks us over time and again .. recent budgets an example..

leebrilleaux, Redstar and arabian_ian like this.
  7. Jimmy viz

Jimmy viz Well-Known Member

Ballet Dancer
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Losing the Ref made the SNP politically impotent.

8. arabian_ian

Retired
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Really? Still the largest party in Scotland. Having said that even if all Scottish seats went to the SNP we still have not a loud enough voice in Westminster.
    Impotent? Maybe you might like to explain your point here. From where I am the support for Independence is as strong as it ever was.

9. upt

upthecolliers Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I think there faulty Kestrel.
    They started on the right of politics then moved over to the left to take the labour vote which was their only way to power, most independent parties are to the right UKIP for one,

10. arabian_ian

Retired
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Totally wrong Colliers. The SNP are a pro independence political party. Although I'd say they through their very fair policies are more left leaning.
    The point is that once independence is achieved the political map in Scotland will change. Possibly to a more left wing one with Scottish labour taking back control.

11. Jimmy viz

Jimmy viz Well-Known Member

Ballet Dancer
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    That’s the problem isn’t it? Support remains the same. Most polls show that the result would be pretty similar. The movement has lost some momentum. Sturgeons backtracking over IndyRef2 shows that.

Impotent given Salmonds proclamation of a once in a lifetime event. Which entrenched opposition to another referendum.

Thin terms of domestic policy the SNP have some good ideas and some bad ones but it’s not their main thrust. Their problem is that despite shifted leftwards they are still neo liberals at heart. Centerist rather than left. Looking at more of the same rather than fundamental change.

12. arabian_ian

Retired
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Fair comment. After winning all but 3 seats it was always going to be a huge ask to improve upon that. Yes we did lose seats and most to the tories. The farmers and fishermen bought into the lies of brexit and voted accordingly. Now wishing they didn't. I've no crystal ball but my gut tells me that in another GE the SNP will again retain almost total control of Scotland.
    Tories making a right pigs ear of things and the SNP will no doubt seize the chance to offer a way out. I do believe Nicola is just biding her time. The Irish are the ones who will bring down this govt.

Jimmy viz likes this.
  13. RedKestrel

TAL
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    That's kinda true ..but there are different wings In the snp just as there are in Labour.. the leftwing change in snp probably started in the early 70s.. when alex salmonds wing came to prominence..

Still the greatest gift to the snp was Blair.. scotland votes Labour in every election massively and then get a red Tory like bliar .. just as the North votes Labour and under blair leadership 'new labour' pandered to the Tory south and middle class. other than the left and corbynites at the forefront of Labour at the minute, they are still beholden to a PLP controlled by bliarites..

Shame we haven't got a SNP up North.. Scotland culturally seems more left wing than ever .. the genies out the bottle .. it's a matter of time Scotland vote independent from the union... then us Northerners will be under Tory rule ad infinitum

14. arabian_ian

Retired
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    RK. I was shocked recently when I read that years ago Scotland used to vote massively tory. Very hard to believe nowadays.

15. RedKestrel

TAL
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Same as Liverpool.. how things change

16. Dalestykes

Dalestykes Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Well, I’m usually in agreement with you but not on this one. My primary reason for voting Brexit was to bring to an end what Ian calls the ‘sham of a union.’ A fine 20 century concept but utterly unfit for the 21 century, particularly if you live in the North of England. I still feel it will come to an end but the Torres getting a better representation of seats for their vote in the last election has put the brake on for a little while.
    When Scotland does go that, by definition, is the end of Britain. You’d have England, the West of England (sometimes called Wales when there’s a rugby match on but a country with essentially the same values as England)and the farce that is Northern Ireland. It couldn’t survive. Suddenly you’d have an area - the North of England (population of 16 million and the 8th biggest economy in Europe if it were a Country) exposed to the economic, financial, cultural and financial bias we call London and the South-East. We cannot and never will compete on a level playing field with that ‘powerhouse’ so (and here’s my point) eventually I think people in this area would say, give us proper control over our lives in an English devolution context (I.e. more than deciding whether the bus leaves the station at 3.10 or 3.30!) or, like the Scots, we’ll go our own way. A ‘win-win’.

17. manxtyke

manxtyke Well-Known Member

im not a real welder
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Same old faces

18. You

Youuureds! Active Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Henry Charles Albert David - never knew that was his real name

19. Merde Tete

Merde Tete Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    While I'm a staunch republican, I can't understand any personal vitriol to Harry or William in the slightest. They aren't responsible for being born into such privilege, and it seems to me that both of them have tried to use their positions as a force for good, even though the public scrutiny of royal life doesn't seem to sit very easily with Harry. It's certainly not something I would ever wish to do for any money in the world. Having my every move scrutinised by the gutter press would be unimaginably difficult to deal with. I often get the impression that Harry would much rather be able to disappear into regular life and never have to face the media again. Can't say I blame him. I must say though that his two uncles appear to embody everything that is wrong with the royal family today.

20. manxtyke

manxtyke Well-Known Member

im not a real welder
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    If you give the English the vote you’d probably get it , it’s your lot that want to stay in

arabian_ian likes this.