Heckingbottom back in management

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by Archerfield, Feb 13, 2019.

1. Bak

Baka Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    The foooooooooooking players he signed to compete at the second foooooooooooking level have just foooooooooooking got us back there: that's all.

It's a bit like losing a foooooooooooking tenner in the foooooooooooking street and then celebrating when you find another foooooooooooking tenner 12 foooooooooooking months later.

Besides, we've got a competent foooooooooooking manager this time and so even if we foooooooooooking struggle I'm expecting more than seven foooooooooooking goals in 14 foooooooooooking matches.

2. ben

benjamoose Well-Known Member

Why do people keep dwelling in the past?! “Wish Hammill was still here” “Heckingbottom would’ve got us promoted” - let’s just enjoy promotion and back the current team and coaching staff. Done a marvellous job regardless of who assembled the squad.

BobT, Redhelen, Dub-Tyke and 2 others like this.
  3. troff

troff Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    You forgot to put half of it in capital letters

Baka likes this.
  4. Redstone

Redstone Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    Been done to death this hasn't it? Decisions were made regarding recruitment and contracts all the way back to when we won the play off final. The end result of that was assembling a very good league one team, that league one team was not surprisingly relegated to league one.
    Now with some further changes to that squad we have another crack at the championship. With the benefit of those players having developed and improved over the last 2 seasons. We have a popular, enthusiastic and talented head coach, hopefully we approach recruitment differently this time and try and build a good championship side.
    Heckingbottom had some good times here and some bad. It's not binary for me, it's not all Heckingbottoms fault nor is he blameless.

Last edited: May 6, 2019
    Redhelen, wakeyred and Connor like this.
  5. Loko the Tyke

Loko the Tyke Administrator Staff Member Admin

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Had much more of a say then you try and let on. But we've done that debate to death and I know you're firmly in the Hecky camp for obvious reasons

redrum likes this.
  6. Dja

Django Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Obvious reasons? I just give my honest opinion, I don’t think any manager wants to fill his squad with young inexperienced players from the lower leagues

7. Loko the Tyke

Loko the Tyke Administrator Staff Member Admin

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Bit more than honest opinions.

Potts and Ugbo were Hecky signings. The latter being a young inexperienced player from the higher leagues.

8. Dja

Django Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Were they? Could you tell me how you know this? Logic would suggest Potts might have been because he chucked him straight in the team but it’s all guess work.

Again, we only sign players within certain parameters (or at least have for the last few years under Cryne) so even if a manager says ‘I’ll have him’ we don’t know if the manager really wants that player or if he thinks he’s the best of the ones that fit within them parameters.

e.g. Daniel Stendel might have wanted to sign a 28 year old German attacking midfielder but the board say no to that as there’s no re-sale value so he gets Mike Bahre instead.

9. Donny Red

Donny Red Well-Known Member

Retired.
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    See another one of our loan men brought in by Hecky re- Ryan Kent, has
    been voted Premiership Young player of the year by the Scottish PFA members
    for his performances for Glasgow Rangers this season.

10. fit

fitzytyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I watched a bit of the first half of their game yesterday. From what I could see, Ranger's were totally dominant.

It's a really poor league, and like I said when he took the job, it's a safe job.

Heckys got no pressure to challenge Celtic, and there are loads of poor teams Hibs can beat easily to stay in the little group near, but not at the top.

As long as he stays in the top 5 or 6 and beats Hearts he'll be a hero.

He hasn't proved anyone right or wrong by doing ok in the Scottish premier league.

11. 188

1887 Active Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)

Mowatt,yiadom,Davies and Gary Gardner had plenty of championship experience. Hecky knew we couldn't afford to sign championship proven players he knew we couldn't afford championship wages he said so himself.

12. Dja

Django Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Yiadom & Davies had one season each in the championship. Gardner was only fit for about 10 games under him & Mowatt was out on loan so if they’re the best examples of championship experience it probably suggests why we weren’t doing so good

13. 188

1887 Active Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)

Davies had a good season 1st season and so did yiadom they were championship level players. McDonald also did well with a years experience in the championship not to mention hammill.
    My main point was hecky knew the club could not afford championship experienced players. Gardner was on about 18k a week at brum. He said himself in interviews we had to give players a chance to make the step up.

14. Hooky feller

Hooky feller Well-Known Member

Retired, full time grandad.
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    e.g. Daniel Stendel might have wanted to sign a 28 year old German attacking midfielder but the board say no to that as there’s no re-sale value so he gets Mike Bahre instead.[/QUOTE]

Unless I’ve misunderstood. No resale value in Bahre either. As he’s not our player.

15. Dja

Django Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I agree with all that I just think that no manager wants to fill his squad with young inexperienced players so they’re never really his players they’re just the ones that he judges as the best from the small pool of players that fit the criteria.

16. Dja

Django Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Unless I’ve misunderstood. No resale value in Bahre either. As he’s not our player.[/QUOTE]

Think we’ve got a deal in place to sign him if we want.