Hecky Mark II

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by churtonred, Nov 19, 2017.

1. churtonred

churtonred Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Ok, before I go any further I'd point out that I think PH is one of the top three managers we've had in the last 50 years. I do not, under any circumstances, want to lose him.
    However, it's almost inevitable we will in the next season or so.
    That said how big a catastrophe will it be?
    He currently operates as coach within an operating model. That being that stats/spreadsheets whatever are used to identify promising talent. That wouldn't change.
    He's astute tactically but still learning. That's surely replaceable?
    He's positive in his style of play. That's great but, again, so could someone else.
    Every new player that comes in is impressed by the amount of homework we've done on them and the plan we have for their development. Again, it's diligent but not magic.
    He takes those players and improves them on the training pitch. Like a good coach.
    Break it down and it doesn't seem like rocket science though I reckon there aren't many like him who have that skill set.
    I'm hoping we have one or two people currently in house who are on board with his approach and good enough coaches for one of them to be able to step in when he goes.
    That said, I hope like hell it's a good way down the line.

Connor likes this.
  2. monkey tennis

monkey tennis Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Isn't the coaching set up also part of the "plan" ? ,I'm sure when the dwaaarf pi$$ed off to brizzle and hecky was given the job albeit on a temp' basis at the time , it was stated by Patrick or mansford that if the current manager left we would try to have a replacement already in house ready to step up, sithi.

3. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley
    Apparently Brian Clough was a crap coach, tactically naive, yet almost universally regarded as one of the best managers there's ever been in the game. Man management is just as important as all that you've listed put together. Football players are human beings, they don't respond to stats and spread sheets. How big a catastrophe would it be if we lost Hecky? In my opinion, in football terms at least, huge.

TonyTyke, Duntpasstome and Tekkytyke like this.
  4. Con

Conan Troutman Well-Known Member

Professional Football Fan
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Cryne also stated we wouldn't sell players unless we had definite replacements. Which was clearly ********.

I just don't see how managers are interchangable. I cannot imagine many managers getting anything like Hecky has from this group of players.

5. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley
    Me neither

6. monkey tennis

monkey tennis Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I can't argue with any of that Conan , sithi.

7. churtonred

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Hmmm, again I wasn't belittling PH. And I do get the point about man management.
    I'd have been gutted if he'd gone this week. I'm simply trying to look on the slightly less catastrophic side of things for when he eventually does leave.
    I think he's superb but also backed up by a good system around him and I'm hoping his replacement is already within that system.

8. Nardiello

Nardiello Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I’d love to see Bobby or Disco be the next on the production line - who knows if they are like Hecky though.
    My impression is that everyone at the club could tell how good a manager Hecky would be, and that’s why he got the chance. Interesting to see if they are the same

9. JLWBigLil

JLWBigLil Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I never knew just what a good coach Hecky was when he was behind the scenes. Very few supporters, if any at all, were championing him to take over from either Flitcroft or Wilson (for example) when they were moved on, so I don't think I was on my own. By the same token, I have no idea just how good his current coaching staff are, either. Therefore I have no idea whether they'll be good enough to take over when Hecky eventually moves on to pastures new.

10. Jul

Julian Broddle's Perm Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I'm a half glass full type of person, but it hasn't been considered that if a moneybags team did come calling for Hecky, and is aware that he is just one cog in the machine, they could try and entice the lot of them. Academy coaches, physio, sports scientist...
    As someone mentioned, Cloughie was the man with his 'name above the door', so to speak, but he even admitted that he was nothing without Peter Taylor, and I don't think they even liked each other.

11. Dja

Django Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    The biggest asset Hecky’s got is that he’s far more vital to the club in the eyes of the fans than any of the players are.

If any of the squad fall out with him or want to down tools they’ll just get dropped & the fans will take Hecky’s side.

We saw last season when a club legend like Hammill got dropped & on occasion Winnall got took out of the team that no one started questioning the manager. Any new manager doesn’t have that luxury.

If for example Clapham took over & made similar decisions there’d be loads on Twitter & on here with the knives out for him.

Hecky’s in a position (which by the way he’s earned) where he knows all the players have to back him which any new manager won’t have.

12. Ext

Extremely Northern Well-Known Member

Professional Northerner.
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Man management and emotional intelligence to get the best out of different individuals. There isn't an algorithm for that.

13. David_Upper_East

David_Upper_East Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Why are we destined to lose him? Is it impossible to think that he could be here for 10 years? If the ownership of the club is sorted out, and they appreciate what he is doing, then they should give him a decent contract for at least three years. His family is Barnsley based - so he hasn't got far to commute to work, or be separated from his family. He has local roots and understands the fans and the club....in a deep way. He is doing a brilliant job. So what would tempt him away? Money is not the only motivator. If you have a decent salary then job satisfaction and family life are very important. Or shall we put the Peter Principle into practice; The Peter Principle is an observation that the tendency in most organisational hierarchies, such as that of a corporation, is for every employee to rise in the hierarchy through promotion until they reach the levels of their respective incompetence. He might be doing a good job here with this particular set of circumstances. Does that mean he will necessarily be successful anywhere? Look at David Moyes - a successful Everton manager, but who crashed and burned at Man Utd. Plenty of other examples. Stick with what you've got Hecky! The fans and the town need you

occook and Extremely Northern like this.
  14. DON

DONKEYDOO Active Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    during the last promotion season with out doubt the team ,management ,and everybody at the club worked their nuts off and gave 110% but what has happened .I know we have gone to a higher league but that cant be to blame . Apart from 1 game this season I haven't seen a team that have outplayed us we have conceaded silly poor goals and don't seam to have the enthusiasm at times (Hamill) where are the goals

David_Upper_East likes this.
  15. Con

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    It's been pointed out to me that if the manager is such replaceable cog in the machine, why did the owner persist with Johnno when he'd gone on his nine match losing streak and taken us to the bottom of the table? Surely he would have been easy to replace?!

16. churtonred

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Don't have a go at me ye git! I definitely think Hecky is special. I'm just saying his absence may not be a total car crash though it would be a big miss.
    In effect I was trying to insulate against his future loss with a mental comfort blanket.
    :)

17. Con

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Someone genuinely has pointed this out to me by pm! I think it's a fair point.

18. churtonred

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    To be fair I think the only reason Johnson survived the bad run was because Patrick had painted himself into a corner with previous sackings and an injudicious statement that that trend had to stop.

19. Redstar

Redstar Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Hammill doesn't have the enthusiasm?

20. Farnham_Red

Farnham_Red Administrator Staff Member Admin

Style:
    Barnsley
    People of Kevs age will remember the Liverpool Boot Room , where after Shankley went they just replaced him with Paisley and then Fagan and finally Dalglish. Hopefully with the likes of Disco and Sir Bobby along with Clapham we have a similar setup in place

JLWBigLil and churtonred like this.