Hecky now odds on....

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by orsenkaht, Nov 14, 2017.

1. Spuggy

Spuggy Well-Known Member

Transport/Warehousing
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Which means they would have to pay us next to **** all in compensation. Cheap option for them.

2. JLWBigLil

JLWBigLil Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I may be misunderstanding you here, but when has our manager ever left, then returned to poach our players? Has this ever happened? I don't recall it ever happening once.
    The managers (not including caretakers) since I've been watching us have been Johnny Steele, John McSeveney, Jim Iley, Allan Clarke, Norman Hunter, Bobby Collins, Allan Clarke again, Mel Machin, Viv Anderson, Danny Wilson, John Hendrie, Dave Bassett, Nigel Spackman, Steve Parkin, Glyn Hodges, Gudjon Thordarson, Paul Hart, Andy Ritchie, Simon Davey, Mark Robins, Keith Hill, David Flitcroft, Danny Wilson again, Lee Johnson, Paul Heckingbottom.
    Only Keith Hill & David Flitcroft when they'd left signed players we'd already released.
    I apologise if I've misinterpreted what you've posted.

3. orsenkaht

orsenkaht Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)

Well first up Gordon, neither I nor I suspect anyone else on here actually knows the sums involved. But it's a forum for us to debate issues relating to our club, even if a lot of the debate is hypothetical! Second up, nowt much else is happening for us to discuss!

Now, whether it's Swansea or Sunderland, no job in management is secure. But (on your figures) if Sunderland pays twice as much as Swansea, I know where I'd be going! And let's face it, Swansea sit second bottom of the Prem.

What are Sunderland's expectations at the moment? I suspect most of their fans would settle for survival this season. While they have a wealthy owner, he clearly isn't interested in expending money on more established stars. That obviously suggests recruitment of lesser known players or promotion of youth/academy players with a view to development. I'd argue Hecky certainly does have the experience for that. As for Hecky's career, what guarantees does he presently hold? We sacked Danny Wilson two managers ago! And whatever the real figures are, it's safe to assume the salary at Sunderland will be considerably greater. If he's given three years at that level of salary that will be two more than he is currently guaranteed at Oakwell. And did the experience of the former Everton, Manchester United and Real Sociedad manager count for much at the Stadium of Light?

Don't get me wrong, I really hope Hecky stays, but I could see a lot of appeal for both him and Sunderland if he were to move.

Kettlewell likes this.
  4. orsenkaht

orsenkaht Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)

No, but Clarkey did pinch 'Spud' Murphy as coach, BL! :)

5. JLWBigLil

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I know.

6. MappRed

MappRed Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Whilst I fully appreciate that he wasn’t our player, the closest I can think of is when Brownhill looked destined to sign for us only to follow Johnson to Bristol City. Johnson also tried to sign Hammill and if reports/interviews from the time are to be believed then he came incredibly close.

7. JLWBigLil

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    This is my fiftieth season of being a Barnsley fan and I can't remember, in all these years, of one occasion when a manager left our club and then returned to sign one of our players.
    You mention the Hammill rumour and I also recall gossip surrounding Clarkey coming back to us and taking the likes of McCarthy, Banks & Glavin to join him at Elland Road. But none of it actually happened and was mere speculation.
    However, I'm fully aware that I may have misinterpreted the point Andy F is trying to make..

8. Wat

Watcher_Of_The_Skies Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Erm, nothing has happened.

9. Gordon Owen

Gordon Owen Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I wasn't specifically looking at the league position when using Swansea as an example maybe l should have used Watford or Huddersfield, what l was saying in a nutshell was would he choose a 3 yr contract in the Prem at a million a year or earn double for three years in the Championship? CV or bank balance?

I don't think the crowd at Sunderland woukd give him time with the youngsters, too big a club, they would be expecting promotion nect year.

He'll stay anyway, don't worry thi sen.

10. RedKestrel

RedKestrel Well-Known Member

TAL
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Only way he'll go is if new owners .. have let on that they are wanting to bring in their own coach..

11. Get

Getrammellon Active Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Just been on my skybet and they will allow me to have £756 on Hecky being next Sunderland manager.

12. Che

Chef Tyke Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley
    Not necessarily - it depends on the wording in his contract

Lee JOHNSON had a clause in his contract which entitled us to around 750k compensation I think.

They wouldn’t just have to buy out his contract - it is a tricky area because it crosses over with restraint of trade and penalty clauses but we could have a clause in there that entitles is to liquidated damages if he were to be approached and left

13. Tyk

Tyketical Masterstroke Well-Known Member

Dry buumer
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    What people aren't factoring in here is the inherent risk to him of staying. It's clear at times he's shown some frustration with some of the ways The Plan has been implemented and purely in my view The Plan gives Hecky a massive handicap to have success before any season starts. You have to question whether he can take this club much further under the current constraints and given that, if he ever gets relegated with us, his career and his prospects will be massively impaired, particularly when you consider the current regime do not have much of a record of patience with managers before the one notable exception of Lee Johnson (we must have been averaging nearly one manager per year in the years preceding that!). He also presumably recognises that any success is fundamentally unsustainable in the medium term as if we have any success like last season then the team will likely be dismantled again and back to square one we go.

For that reason, if it was me, I'd be off. Yeah Sunderland is a position of massive risk, but Barnsley has significant risk attached to it as well. There comes a point when you have to take responsibility for your family's future.

14. RedKestrel

RedKestrel Well-Known Member

TAL
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    WTF would any manager want the Sunderland job for?? ... it's a career ending job.. Hecky wouldn't go there for all the Tea in China so dream on

15. Red

Red CB Well-Known Member

retired
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Did you lump it on , or not ?

Stahlrost likes this.
  16. Get

Getrammellon Active Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Yes. And incidentally his price is now 4/9

17. Red

Red CB Well-Known Member

retired
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Well my friend, I would"t like you to lose your money, but on this occasion, I hope you do

18. Ext

Extremely Northern Well-Known Member

Professional Northerner.
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Hence my eagerness for this (any) takeover to happen asap

19. Sopwith Camel

Sopwith Camel Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    6.gif

Extremely Northern likes this.