Here's the problem with the Telegraph sting!

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board ARCHIVE' started by KyoteTyke, Sep 28, 2016.

1. KyoteTyke

KyoteTyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Forget for a moment the greed and lunacy around football, players, transfers & the agents but here's the issue with the Telegraph sting:

As a simple Reds fan had the Telegraph (pretend agents) met me in a pub & asked me who I thought were a good investment for the future here's what I would have said:

1. Alfie Mawson is getting a lot of attention from a number of clubs at the moment and I reckon he has the potential to get better and have a great future ahead of him!

2. Conor is the best player in the club and has huge potential to play at the top level ....AND he's out of contract at the end of this season!!

3. We have other players who have great potential in the club as well, I can talk about each of them too if you are interested!

Now here's the thing: if they say ...."we could make money on those players by becoming their agents" ...,, Is say I agree, you could indeed!

If they then said "Thanks for the info and here's £5k for giving us that info" I'd say ....."Thankyou very much!", and just think if they are stupid enough and rich enough to pay for information that every Barnsley fan knows then let them give me £5k!!

So what have I done wrong other than take money off greedy people (this being either a greedy agent or in this case greedy tabloid journalists intent on selling newspapers) ..... BOTH of which have no interest in the best for the game or players!!!

2. DSLRed

DSLRed Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    You are not being employed by the club that you have just tried to shaft by trying to get its players signed up to unscrupulous agents who want to move your employers players on for a fat profit.

3. Terry Nutkins

Terry Nutkins Well-Known Member

Music Producer/DJ/Promoter and Owner of Hush Hush
    Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Point one is you aren't allowed to take cash in such a way and secondly the major part of the story is that Wright was going to help the agents get players into the club, by accepting money to do so.

This is both illegal and unethical.

4. KyoteTyke

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    OK ...in which case even more reason to accept the £5k for my professional opinion! I'm agreeing with what they are suggesting (caught on camera) .... I'm not condoning it or instigating it!! The info I have provided (on camera) is in the public domain and every football fan with an interest in Barnsley FC can tell you the same!!

5. Cun

Cunning Stunt Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    Kayote! I know you're an intelligent blowk. If you truly believe that then (a) give me a job (b) give me a job

6. Che

Chef Tyke Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley
    Yep and breached the trust and confidence of his paymaster, closest colleague and club....if the story is correct of course. Ahem.

Expect he will be gone very shortly. Has he been with us for less than two years?

7. KyoteTyke

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Be very careful, that's not in the transcript or video!! As for accepting cash ....Why can't I sell my professional opinion? Players & managers accept money every day for their professional opinions to both the media or other 3rd parties!

8. DSLRed

DSLRed Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    You are a fan. He is an employee of the club. Can't you see the difference?

9. Cun

Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    If its all true and he's gone! Then I hope we set a precedent and su him for the rest of his contracted wages, compensation for what hes done to BFCs image.

Like Chelsea did to Mutu after the drugs instances where they effectively lost an asset. Let's be the fore runners and get Maurice on the case.

10. Terry Nutkins

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Quote directly from The Telegraph...

"But all was not how it seemed. Unbeknown to Mr Cryne or Mr Heckingbottom, Tommy Wright had held three previous meetings with the Far East firm, during which he had accepted a £5,000 cash bribe in return for his help in persuading Barnsley to sign players part-owned by the firm.

As football agent Mr Price described it, Mr Wright was “his man” and “the geezer we’re bunging money to put players in”.

Mr Wright also knew that translator “Joseph” was in reality the former match-fixer Pino Pagliara, now operating as an unregistered football agent in partnership with registered agent Mr Price. Mr Pagliara had hidden his true identity because he knew that if Mr Cryne looked him up on the internet, he would find out about his shady past and any chance of a deal would be off."

Pretty clear what is being insinuated.

11. KyoteTyke

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Haha, Pretty much everyone with a brain cell knows the game is corrupt, this type of thing has been going on for years and the FA, UEFA & FIFA are inept ,incompetent & corrupt themselves!! Don't get me wrong, I'm not condoning it, just pointing out this has come to everyone's attention purely as a result of the tabloid journalists setting a sting to sell papers!!

12. DSLRed

DSLRed Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Thank god for good old fashioned British investigative journalism. That's what it is there for - to bring things like this to the attention of the masses. The greatest asset we have is a free press. Its no coincidence that, even though dodgy dealings obviously go on in all walks of life, Britain is ranked amongst the least corrupt countries in the world.

13. Cun

Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    I just hope this is the start of the start. Footys fooked. I speak of such on a regular basis. Ticket prices, salaries, Sky etc.
    Hope the Reds paying £37 at Leeds on Setdi don't fund Mr C's legal battle to come ;-)

Just think its time....,,, Big Sam is just the start. Bet there's some footy bum holes twitching like a rabbits nose!

Get the lot out.

14. KyoteTyke

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I agree with this .... he may indeed have shown little respect for the trust & confidence of his colleagues ...To breach is a legal matter which I can't comment on without the full facts.

15. KyoteTyke

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Correct ....What's being insinuated!!

They (the Telegraph) are suggesting they have Tommy working for them because he's met them 3 times! Has he ACTUALLY taken any players, tried to persuade the club to take the players or just being caught on camera saying he will obviously consider players who may make Barnsley better.

16. Cun

Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    Do you reckon TW had included the £5k (and the other 5 to follow) in his taxable 'earnings'?
    It's all just wrong on so many levels. Just because it seems 'normal' and looking widespread doesn't make it right or legal.

Let's be right. If I was Sam. Sat on £12mill earnings for the next 4 years and I honestly thought I'd done fook all wrong I wouldn't leave my job. I'd fight it all the way.

17. Terry Nutkins

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Have no doubt they wouldn't publish the story and make the comment, in fact call the article "How Barnsley assistant manager Tommy Wright took £5k bung to help agents place players at his club - then took part in bizarre meeting", unless they had that on tape. Remember at the moment they have only published one video, with more to come.

I'm not one for guilty before proven innocent, but the information is looking pretty damning. The evidence is stacking up and unfortunately for Tommy, he's been caught with his pants down.

18. MarioKempes

MarioKempes Well-Known Member

Project Manager
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I sincerely hope that TW can exonerate himself from these allegations. He's been part of our success so I'll be gutted and angry if he is guilty - the evidence is pretty damning so it looks like he is.

To lose your job and career for this is madness. He must need his head checking if he's thrown everything away for a few grand.

19. funnyfella23

funnyfella23 Well-Known Member

Civil Servant
    Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    No one going to Leeds is funding Mr C's legal battle.

We are funding their outlay to fans when they don't make the play-offs.

20. man

mansfield_red Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    He's accepted a payment to act in a way that puts his personal interests in conflict with those of the club.

Can't believe people are defending him. Even if it's all legal it's gross misconduct, clear as owt.