How am I supposed to work from home when

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by JamDrop, Mar 24, 2020.

1. Sup

SuperTyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Some people are just absolutely horrible and will never change.

How loud would you say the music is? Can you hear clearly the words that are said or is it just the background noise you can hear? And how many rooms can you hear it from? Just your living room or multiple rooms?

2. JamDrop

JamDrop Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Occassionally we can hear the actual song clear as day but that's not that often or for that long at a time. It's mainly just the bass and it's in every room, upstairs and downstairs, including rooms that don't join on to their house. It's like a rumbling sort of thunder, or when someone drags their wheelie bin along outside. It's been going for an hour and a half so far today then it'll stop whilst they have tea and then will go again until about 11pm.

3. JamDrop

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Haha, I genuinely didn't even see it was you. I wouldn't have bothered deigning you with a response had I known :D

SuperTyke likes this.
  4. Sta

Stahlrost Well-Known Member

None
    Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    Ha ha, no idea what I've done/said/written to deserve that, perhaps you can remind me? :D

To be serious though, even though I'm retired I'm currently doing a software project for my previous employer. The slightest noise breaks my thought process, and sets me back about 10 minutes. It's a well known problem in software development. Even though I shut myself away in a closed room, it drives my wife downstairs potty as I ask her to turn the TV down and not listen to music. I can't begin to imagine how you can work with the noise going on, my heart goes out to you. The girl next door sounds OK, but the bloke sounds like a right helmet.

Sincerely hope you can find some peace and get some work done!

TitusMagee likes this.
  5. JamDrop

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Sorry Ian, it was all @SuperTyke's fault! Will is a software developer but I think he could work through anything, which probably annoys me more as I'm sat there seething and he's happily typing away.

6. Sta

None
    Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    Is he deaf? What you describe would make me saw my own neck off! Please ask him to message me and tell me how he does it :D

7. Sup

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    That sounds like they're (he's) not deliberately trying to be a nuisance but simply doesn't realise how the sound is travelling. Have you ever considered politely inviting him round to come and listen for himself himself so that he can hear what you hear? That might make him realise that it's louder than he thinks it is and realise you aren't just moaning for the sake of it.

Another thing you can do is to get down on your hands and knees near the wall closest to where you think the sound is coming from and feel the floor, skirting board and wall to see if you can feel the sound vibration. If you could at least work out if it's coming under the house and through the floor or through the wall you might stand a fighting chance of either asking him to move a specific speaker or if it came to it doing some form of insulation yourself in the right place.

For a while I was sat on my sofa hearing a noise behind me like quite a low bassy (is that a word?) noise. I had no idea what it was, but it seemed to be coming from my kitchen. Problem was that when I was in the kitchen I couldn't hear a sound. Took me absolutely age to realise that my sofa and fridge seemed to be on opposite ends of the same floorboard and the sound I could hear was the vibrations of the fridge running that were travelling under/through the floor and straight up the leg of the sofa. Moved the sofa a couple of inches to one side and the sound stopped completely. Using the same theory it may be possible if you can track it down to get him to move the offending speaker a few inches to do the same thing hopefully

JamDrop likes this.
  8. TitusMagee

TitusMagee Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    My neighbour is a nightmare too, constantly bollocking her 10 year old son. If she's not ranting at him it is at his dad. Not great when trying to finish an assignment (during your annual leave too!).

9. Sup

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I don't want to admit that you're smarter than me Grimethorpe girl but I did have to Google the word deigning to find out what it meant.

10. Sup

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    well first you get a saw...

11. BarnsleyReds

BarnsleyReds Well-Known Member

Style:
    XenForo - Xenith Reds
    I'm also in software and I'm the exact same. I never take my headphones off during the day

12. Sta

None
    Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    Believe it or not I don't have any headphones and never thought of that! I might just nip out and buy some......

13. Sta

None
    Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    I saw what you did there

SuperTyke likes this.
  14. JamDrop

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    It's a great word, isn't it? It's one of those that I read all the time in my books and have no problem writing but I'd go to say it out loud in a sentence one day and realise how weirdly formal it is. I quite often sound like I've swallowed a dictionary and it's even worse when it's only when I go to say the words that I realise I have no idea how they are pronounced and that I've never heard anyone in real life using them.

SuperTyke likes this.
  15. JamDrop

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    That's his technique, although they may be just so he can ignore me o_O He did lend me them to see if they would help but I could still hear it through so I gave them back.

16. BarnsleyReds

Style:
    XenForo - Xenith Reds
    I'm not ashamed to admit I've got no idea how it's pronounced.

17. Sta

None
    Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    Does he actually listen to music with them, or does he just use them just to block sound? I've got some ear protectors which I use when I'm running round Dodworth with a rotating chainsaw, so I might try those.

18. BarnsleyReds

Style:
    XenForo - Xenith Reds
    It's a software dev thing. We're a weird lot. Headphones on, movies on all day or I can't get anything done.

I also usually start work at about 7pm, as that's when I get most done.

19. JamDrop

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    He has BBC One on I believe. I honestly don't understand how he can listen to music with a completely different bass noise accompanying it out of synch, it drives me potty. I'd rather sit in silence and just hear theirs than try and listen to something different at the same time.

20. TitusMagee

TitusMagee Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I got some noise cancelling in-ear headphones for my birthday last year, they are really effective. Used to use them on a train and couldn't hear any external noise on journey.

JamDrop likes this.