How can Tom Daley and his husband both be the dad?

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by Farnham_Red, Feb 14, 2018.

1. Farnham_Red

Farnham_Red Administrator Staff Member Admin

Style:
    Barnsley
    I partially agree with you in that having one female and one male parent gives a child contact with both sexes from a very early age but I think thats only in an ideal world. Much better to have one parent or 2 same sex parents who love and care for the child than 2 parents where one or both dont. There are many mixed sex couples who are not good parents for many reasons - I bet there is a much smaller percentage of same sex ones that arent good parents

John Peachy likes this.
  2. Tru

TrueRed92 Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    Would be confusing though right?

Child; Dad?
    Tom Daley; Yes child?
    Toms husband; Yes child?

3. Vesp77

Vesp77 Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley
    Could be:

Dada
    Dadb

Farnham_Red likes this.
  4. Ses

Sestren Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    You're more than welcome to express whatever opinions you want. Why would you assume people would stop you?

5. Terry Nutkins

Terry Nutkins Well-Known Member

Music Producer/DJ/Promoter and Owner of Hush Hush
    Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Apparently Daleys husband makes hand warming implements. With this in mind, if the sperm was indeed mixed in a cup, then all the homophobes can rejoice, as its guaranteed the new born baby boy will be a muff diver.

6. Pin

PinballWizard Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I don't have an issue with them both bringing the child up and I'm pretty sure they'll both be very supportive and loving parents. It makes no difference to me what gender they are as parents. But, that said, you do have to consider whether there might be complications for the child if it grows up wondering who his biological mother is. To me, that would only be natural. I know a couple of people who have grown up with barely any contact with one of their parents and I've heard both speak quite emotionally and poignantly about it. I know in this instance the child will have two parents, but he/she will understand they have another parent out there somewhere. Some kids won't be fussed; others might be driven mad by it.

Again, nothing against either of them. Best of luck to them and glad they're happy.

7. Redstone

Redstone Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    That was exactly my thought when I read it. Its great news for them but seeing a scan picture obviously suggests a woman somewhere is pregnant I think it would give the story context if we knew a bit more. Also think it would help raise awareness of the different ways same sex couples can have children.
    Now if they want privacy I get that too but it does make for a rather odd story.

Farnham_Red likes this.
  8. Bak

Baka Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)

John Peachy, churtonred and Sestren like this.
  9. BarnsleyReds

BarnsleyReds Well-Known Member

Style:
    XenForo - Xenith Reds
    People I know in this situation tend to use Dad for one and Daddy for the other.

JamDrop likes this.
  10. JamDrop

JamDrop Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Did you really need the scan picture to realise that? :rolleyes: Basically they announced that they’re going to be dads via social media and the news have picked up on it and reported it, that’s why there’s not more info as they probably didn’t want to put the ins and outs on their announcement. They may do interviews and speak about it in more detail later.

11. Red

Red-Taff. Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Wonder what the reaction would be if two penniless out of work gay men living in a rundown flat were, with the help of a surrogate, going to become 'dads?'

Are the feminists happy with the woman involved with Tom Daley and his partner not getting an acknowledgement/mention?

12. JamDrop

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Don’t know why it makes a difference who they are. It’d be just the same as two opposite sex poor people having a kid, if they can care for it then let them crack on. I taught a child with two mums, they didn’t have much money but she was certainly loved.

I have no idea whether the woman wants to be mentioned or not but I feel like they would have/will do if so as they will be so grateful to her. They may even be adopting a child of a woman who got pregnant with someone else and was always going to give it up for adoption. We don’t know and I don’t particularly care.

leebrilleaux likes this.
  13. Redstone

Redstone Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    Yeah I get that and as I say if they want privacy I understand that too. But clearly this is the question a lot of people will have once they read the story and once they put it on social media then it would become news.
    Its just intriguing really, for two men wanting a child adoption seems the most likely course. What the scan picture shows us and the point I was making is this means they have gone down a route where a woman will knowingly and willingly carry a baby to then give to the couple to raise. Morally it's a interesting subject, is one of them the biological dad? How would you decide which one is going to be? Or is it a woman with a unwanted pregnancy who doesn't believe is abortion?
    Again I wasn't passing any kind of judgment, just pointing out the announcement raises lots of interesting questions. Answers are likely to follow.
    Good luck to them, with all that will have been involved in the decision I'm sure they are really committed to being great parents.

14. Sup

SuperTyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Why do you automatically assume there is a woman involved? Dont they allow male storks to bring parents babies? That's a bit sexist isn't it.

JamDrop likes this.
  15. jph

jph77 Active Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    By this you mean everyone has to accept change?

16. Runner

Runner Well-Known Member

Software developer
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    No one is getting hurt and it doesn't affect anyone else. What's there not to accept?

17. Sup

SuperTyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    No. Only those who aren't prejudiced homophobic pillocks.

18. dreamboy3000

dreamboy3000 Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    They could have instead adopted one or more of the thousands of children already looking for an home.

Tom has had some bad press these past few years with his behaviour towards his now husband, so it won't be a shock when they split. Should probably work on their marriage/relationship before bringing a child in to it.

19. JamDrop

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    They may have done for all we know. Also, that could be said about literally anyone having a child at any point. Do you say that any time a straight couple announce a pregnancy? If you have your own children, why didn't you adopt instead?

20. bright red

bright red Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    It is illegal to pay a surrogate mother in this country. Also there is no law that could enforce a surrogacy. The mother would have the right to keep the baby until a parental order was in place. That’s why it is likely that it’s someone they know who has agreed to help or they have gone through one of the charities that help.