How soon would u get on a plane?

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by exiled, May 23, 2020.

1. wil

wilko88 Active Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I knew that argument was coming “well you might kill other people though” again I will refer you back to a car journey. Every time you set off in a car you are increasing the chance that another road user might crash/die, it doesn’t stop people driving though.

Why do people suddenly think you can live a risk free life?

2. pon

pontyender Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Of course that comment was coming. Your post was me, me, me all the way through it. It's a bit of a bugger if people can't do without a foreign holiday for one year.

3. wil

wilko88 Active Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Just changing the topic entirely now, your question was why would people want to take the risk and go on holiday (which I have answered) not can people last without a holiday.

4. pon

pontyender Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Yes you're right. The two things are completely different. Going on holiday and going on holiday. My bad.

5. wil

wilko88 Active Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Nice try

6. DSLRed

DSLRed Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    What's bonkers is that this country now seems to be paralysed by fear. Other countries are starting to get on with life and sooner or later we are going to have to learn to live with this and get on with it as well because if we don't, pretty soon they won't be much left.

I would be more than happy to be subjected to a test either prior to departure or on arrival, or both, to be told to limit contact with others until the test results came back within 24 hours etc. I would understand if regulations were that we had to wear masks on the plane. But ultimately, there is risk every day getting out of bed and leaving the house. Of course this is on a different level and right now, I am following all the instructions. I even wear a mask to go to the garden centre. But we really must get on with life soon.

The reason we have accepted that our late June holiday has to be moved is because of the on going uncertainty about whether it will go ahead, the fact that my job means I can't cancel holidays at short notice so I had to make the judgement call now to allow my employer the time to book me out on those dates, and the fact that even if the holiday could have gone ahead, it was an expensive holiday and if there are currently too many restrictions in the destination area then it just wont be as enjoyable as it could have been and should have been. Plus the problem getting the holiday insurance to cover covid hospitalisation.

But no mistake, if those concerns have largely been negated by later in the year then I will be gagging for a holiday. The biggest problem will be the insurance - I may be being cavalier, but I ain't going abroad and risking being stuck with no insurance, that would be madness.

7. OxR

OxRed Well-Known Member

Having been stuck abroad since the beginning of March, I’m looking forward to flying back from where I am just as soon as flights are scheduled to resume in the first weekend in July.

8. BarnsleyReds

BarnsleyReds Well-Known Member

Style:
    XenForo - Xenith Reds
    What difference does a mask make? If you just don’t think about it you barely even know it’s on.

I really don’t understand this obsession with not wearing a mask.

Austiniho and Donny-Red like this.
  9. Merde Tete

Merde Tete Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Surely that depends what you're planning on doing when you get to where you're going? If you're on a package tour in a big hotel or planning on spending most of your time in bars and nightclubs, I'd agree. But if you're renting an apartment to stay in with your immediate family and planning on visiting quiet beaches, or going trekking with your tent in Tibet, I'd say your risk levels are pretty low once you've arrived. Planes however, would seem to be a prime place where you're likely to transfer or pick up the virus. Once again, this is where reliable mass testing will come into play.

10. BarnsleyReds

Style:
    XenForo - Xenith Reds
    It’s not all snails and frogs legs, you know.

Unless you go somewhere like rural Vietnam (I wouldn’t recommend that as a first foreign holiday) you’ll certainly have something you can eat.

11. Redhelen

Redhelen Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Snails are actually quite nice. I haven't tried frogs legs .

12. BarnsleyReds

Style:
    XenForo - Xenith Reds
    I’m not a fan of Escargot or Frogs Legs to be honest. The absolute worst place I’ve been for food is China though. Just horrendous.

13. Redhelen

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I really want to visit China. I imagiine I'll stick to a fairly limited range of food though.

14. BarnsleyReds

Style:
    XenForo - Xenith Reds
    If you go to the tourist-y parts you’ll be fine. It’s a fantastic country.
    It was business meetings in restaurants that was the problem for me. Set menu. I honestly have no idea what I even ate that trip, but I’m sure dog and cat were in there. Wasn’t something I could turn down, so had to just get on with it.

15. Lor

Lordtyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Got to agree there, I was in Chengdu a few years ago and I actually photographed my plate of food as I knew folk would not believe me. It was a pile of some sort of tree bark, accompanied by severed chicken feet and a sort of dishwater soup with lumps of grey fat floating in it.
    The tea was a large glass of boiling water into which the waiter dropped a handful of grass seeds, you ended up with clear boiled water with a layer of seed on the bottom.

16. Che

Chef Tyke Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley
    It would make me feel like I was in a horror film.

that’s not a holiday for me, personal preference really.

sitting on a plane for 4 hours with a mask on, with others’ germs swirling around the plane (that a mask would not prevent), would not be very relaxing.....

no, not for me, I’d rather stay at home.

cudeth red and Redhelen like this.
  17. BarnsleyReds

Style:
    XenForo - Xenith Reds
    Ah yes. I remember the dishwater soup well.

Actually didn’t taste as bad as I expected, or maybe I’ve just sealed those memories away.

18. Redhelen

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Did it taste OK though? I hate the conditions that animals are kept in but in principle a dog or cat is no different to a pig or sheep.

I probably would be in the touristy bits though as you say.

19. BarnsleyReds

Style:
    XenForo - Xenith Reds
    For the most part it didn’t taste horrible. The actual meat all tasted fine (whatever it was). It was the sauces, textures and also the method of eating that I didn’t care for. They would just put everything into their mouth and then spit out the bits they didn’t want. Not how I like to eat. I do believe this is different in different parts of the country though. Tourists wouldn’t be expected to eat like that. Like I say, I was in a business meeting with very proud people, so I just had to suck it up and get on with it.

Redhelen likes this.
  20. OxR

OxRed Well-Known Member

I lived in China for a couple of years and as long as I knew what I was eating, didn’t have a problem with the food to be honest. Dumplings were a local specialty and I still have a yearning for them now.
    Interesting to see the Chinese load up their plates with the most outrageous combinations at the breakfast buffet,
    put Danish pastries through the toaster, etc. All to the accompaniment of loud slurping.