How soon would u get on a plane?

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by exiled, May 23, 2020.

1. Redhelen

Redhelen Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    One way to warm up a Danish pastry!

2. Merde Tete

Merde Tete Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I love Chinese dumplings. We pretty much survived on those plus fresh fish (can't usually go wrong with that, but we had a couple of hairy moments). My missus can't stand the smell of peanut oil which they fry everything in, so the dumplings were a very safe option. Despite erring on the conservative side food-wise by my standards, I've still got quite a few ridiculous food related stories from my three weeks in Shanghai and Hainan.

As for outrageous breakfast combinations, definitely. It's one of my favourite activities when staying in a hotel, checking out what the Chinese guests are feasting on. Fried potatoes topped with Nutella was one of the best I witnessed on a recent trip to Amsterdam.

OxRed and Redhelen like this.
  3. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley
    Like others in this thread, yesterday. Like others in this thread, for personal reasons. Those personal reasons, BTW, are that a very important person in our lives lives in another country. I'm not going to contract Covid-19 in the next year or so because I've already had it, I understand how our immune response works and I'm not influenced by any old scaremongering nonsense I read. I'm not going to infect anyone else with Covid-19 because, like I said, I've already had it and I wash my hands regularly. I don't wash my hands regularly because of Covid-19, I've always washed my hands regularly ffs. Why on earth wouldn't you wash your hands regularly, it's a common decency to other people.
    Even if I hadn't had Covid-19 it wouldn't stop me from flying. Covid-19 is the flu. I know people really don't like anyone saying that, but it is. The transmission rates, for a variety of reasons, are much higher than the strains of influenza we have had in circulation previously in our lives, but the symptoms are very similar. The reason people don't believe it's the flu is they have no idea what the flu is. When they have a cold, often a mild cold, they say they've had the flu. No you haven't. Flu really isn't very nice. It's a **** of a disease. It kills people. Lots of people. Old people, people with health conditions, people with undiagnosed health conditions, children, and, if you're really unlucky, healthy adults. And for the rest of us, it's horrible. You have a horrendous week or so. And if you're unlucky, continued health problems. Just like Covid-19, except with this one many do get mild symptoms and the effects on younger people are surprisingly minor.
    Flu is horrible, I've had it before, but I've never been scared of it. And if you're honest, neither have you. So why would I be scared of a different strain of the same illness?
    I'm p1ssed off, because stupid has won. Stupid prevented us from taking the necessary precautions in stock piling PPE and forming a plan to combat a worldwide pandemic after the warnings of SARS and Ebola. Stupid failed to protect the vulnerable in society while keeping the healthy locked away, damaging our economy beyond repair, causing misery and suffering to millions that will go on and on, and allowed the death toll from other diseases to eclipse that from Covid-19 many fold. Stupid put Stupid in the Whitehouse and Stupid in Downing Street and we've reaped what we sowed. Stupid wins. Freedom, thought, expression and life are lost.

4. churtonred

churtonred Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    The annual death rate for the previous few years due to influenza in the UK was averaging at 17000.
    Covid has killed 36000 in three months WITH a lockdown.
    The lockdown was entirely justified which is why just about every sensible country in the world has done it.

Austiniho, cudeth red and Redhelen like this.
  5. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley
    You continue, as always, to answer points I have not made.

6. churtonred

churtonred Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    You keep making the point that we shouldn't have locked down.

7. hav

havana red1 Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I thought you've previously stated you havn't had a test? If that's the case then you can't in any way state you've had it. Just because you had the sniffles a while back simply means you had the sniffles. I had the sniffles for 5 or 6 weeks over the winter and I couldn't shake it off. Before I tested positive for covid the other week I could easily have stated 'i was badly over the winter I reckon I've had it'. Well no i didn't have it i just had a very heavy and lasting seasonal cold.
    I have been quite seriously ill with covid and it has been incomparable to the flu. I could just about cope with the fever, sweats and initial aches and pains. But this quickly escalated. My breathing became laboured which was frightening and the pain became excruciating. This lasted for days. Then the pain shifted to my lungs. Unbearable at times leaving you unable to lie flat which was hard because I was too ill to sit up.
    So I can assure you and anyone else that this can be a pretty terrifying experience.
    I am pretty demoralised right now and recovering slowly. I wasn't going to post on here until I was fully recovered physically and mentally but just felt the need here.

Austiniho and Redhelen like this.
  8. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley
    Nope, never made it, not once.

9. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley
    You clearly haven't read my post either.

10. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley
    BTW, how do you know my symptoms? Why are you claiming to have had it worse than I? The sniffles? Have a word with yourself. Good grief.

11. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley
    You've got me, I'm wound up. I wasn't fc*king allowed a test. I didn't sleep for a week. Didn't eat for longer. I couldn't fc*king walk. Jesus, how dare you.

12. Redhelen

Redhelen Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    It's the rate of infection that makes it scary. Plus the much higher death toll . I'm not scared for myself but I am for those who are more vulnerable.

13. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley
    It is the rate of infection, which leads to the higher death toll, which makes it scary. Influenza kills millions people, they're not having a good time when that happens. The symptoms are comparable. And yes, I'm also scared for vulnerable people, and don't believe we have ever done enough to protect them.

Redstone and Redhelen like this.
  14. Redstone

Redstone Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    It kills note people because of the higher infection rate, which is likely because it's a new virus.
    I know the flu comparisons trigger a lot people, but they are worth making. People die every year from flu. Their lives are just as important as anyone who dies of Covid19. So are the lives of all those who are going to die prematurely from Cancer that could have been saved but have been forgotten about in all this madness.

15. Redstone

Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    Using the Car analogy I think we should remove airbags from cars. Replace them with a machete pointed at the driver's neck. No one would drive over 2mph but you would end all car deaths.

Redhelen likes this.
  16. Redstone

Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    The main problem I see for the vulnerable is we have treated them the same as everyone else. Yes some have had a letter telling them to stay home but at the same time everyone else was told to stay home so I think the message was lost on them.
    So now as we slowly ease restrictions I expect these vulnerable people will think its easing for them too.
    At the moment I'm not seeing reports of huge surges in counties that have eased off so hopefully that will continue to be the case.

17. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley
    I think our biggest failing (and that underplays the severity of the situation by a factor of about a million) was care homes. We pay minimum wage to people in charge of looking after the most vulnerable in our society. Why aren't people doing this amazing job paid more? And, while those that could afford to stay home and watch TV and eat biscuits criticised those going to work packed on public transport, care workers had to take that public transport, because they can't afford anything else, because they have to feed themselves and their family, because they have to care for the vulnerable people in those homes, who would die without them. They didn't want to, they didn't want to leave themselves susceptible to infection, but they had to. They were the front line, the ones most at risk, and when they got to work, when they had to feed and clothe and care for our most vulnerable, they were given no PPE and no tests. Not to protect themselves, they were screwed just getting there, but to protect those in their care, after they'd made themselves the most prone to infection just to be there, to care for our mothers and fathers, brother and sisters. The system is a travesty.

18. pon

pontyender Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    It's also the fact that there's a vaccine for flu and there isn't for COVID-19.

19. higgybaby

higgybaby Well-Known Member

welder
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Got mauritius booked for October been booked over year now, 20th anniversary for me and the Mrs god knows if we'll get there

20. wil

wilko88 Active Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Grand Baie?