Huddersfield to increase their bid for Yiadom

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by Jack Tatty, Jul 14, 2017.

1. Dan

DannyWilsonLovechild Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley
    Some may judge that as progress, having players with talent and ability that other clubs actually want to buy. Lessons to be learned in when to accept bids, length of contracts etc, of course.

We don't yet know how good these new players are. They could be better than what we had. They may be as good. They may be terrible. We've no idea yet til we see with our own eyes over the coming months and years.

Also think of the phase when we had clauses in contracts under the Don allowing plenty of talent to walk out for token amounts (Vaz Te, Hammill, Shackell for example).

Its crap losing players you grow a connection with and see perform, but at the end of the day, how do we retain a player that someone else wants who can pay way over the odds for? Open question, how? We can offer longer contracts, sure. But we know its not an exact science getting the right players with the right attitude and I feel much of this approach has been borne of paying off terrible players to make way for new (better?) ones.

Longer contracts also have the risk of repeating that problem if it all goes wrong and the best time to offer long contracts is when the player themselves are making a step up into our club. 4 years of Conor Wilkinson or Michael Smith is pretty frightening, 3 years of Kpekawa seems a long time at the moment, had he had more impact, we'd all be clamouring for him to extend his time. 4 years of Conor or Sam totally different.

Once players feel they are better than us or could climb the ladder, why would they stay? And if we blocked their route, will they be as committed? Will they try as hard, will they care?

Look at Hourihane. Suggestions were he is paid not far off £30k a week at Villa. If so, his transfer and wages for 3.5 years, not including NI or bonuses, equates to around £9m. That's one player.

If players don't want to play, suddenly get a bad attitude, are disruptive, or get injured, we get zero.

So at face value, yes, its terrible, how can we sell so many players, how can we sell so many at the same time? But I suspect there are quite a few fans looking at us and wishing they had players who clubs wanted.

As I say, far from great as a fan who wants to retain the best players for a lengthy period, but that's just the way it is and I don't see how it changes unless football TV deals start unravelling, the game loses its global lustre, and wealthy owners suddenly lose an appetite for writing off profits, or frittering millions and billions as a folly.

occook, Chef Tyke and WatfordRed like this.
  2. Redstar

Redstar Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    All spot on, which begs the question, what's the ******* point?

3. fat

fatalbert Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Red* simple love really. We all love Barnsley FC but it ******* hurts sometimes--tough love baby..

4. tosh

tosh Well-Known Member

Retired
    Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    And sometimes they can get worse.

5. Dan

DannyWilsonLovechild Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley
    Imagine being a fan of say, Lincoln (random, plenty lower than us in the footballing pyramid). Always some other sod in a much worse position and much less to be cheerful about.

6. Zeb

Zebedee Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Exactly. Plymouth, Halifax, Wycombe and Barnet to name just a few have all had quality players poached from them in recent times by a much bigger team.

BBBFC, occook and RedAllOver like this.
  7. Sta

Stahlrost Well-Known Member

None
    Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    I believe that's always been true over the past 50 odd years at least. The difference recently is that we've had far more "better players" who've attracted attention. It's annoying but it's a massive compliment to our scouting, coaching and managerial staff.

Merde Tete likes this.
  8. Fon

Fonzie Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Let's have a laugh then. Let's say we've not dismantled the team. Let's pay them what they want.

Hourihane - 30k a week at Villa. Would he stay for 20k for us? Maybe. But his agent has interest from all these clubs. Perhaps he'll accept 25k a week. 3 years? Nice. - 4 million.

Winnall - 18k a week at Wednesday. Would be accept slightly less? Who knows. Let's say he accepts 15k a week. - 2.5 million

Watkins - Sam's on how much? I want some of that. There's been interest from "premier league" clubs. 15k a week. 2.5 million.

Scowen - Marley's on how much? I want some of that. QPR are sniffing. 15k a week. 2.5 million.

Roberts - Brilliant season Marc. You've really come on a ton. There's interest from all over but we want you to stay. OK, but I want the same as Marley and Sam. 15k a week. 2.5 million.

Yiadom - There's interest from Huddersfield? Sound. What's Marc on? Ok I'll have some of that. 15k a week. 2.5 million.

Bree - Villa want me? Ok sound, what would they offer? How much? Ok, I'm 19 years old so I fancy a 4 year deal. What's Andy on? Ok well I want more than that, I'll only be 24 when my contract ends. I'll have 20k over 4 years. 4 million.

So that's over 20 million laid out over 3 to 4 years on 6 players. We've received 15 million from Stones, Holgate and Mawson. So this 5 million in the red for us. On 11k gates. Without a sugar daddy. And without adding to the squad.

Kettlewell, BBBFC, occook and 9 others like this.
  9. Glo

GloucesterRedsBigBro Well-Known Member

Retired Bus Driver
    Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    So how are the 11k gates going to improve?

10. I'm Spartacus

I'm Spartacus Well-Known Member

Missionary
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Without doubt the best response ever to all the bairning, defeatist arseholes who would take the club into oblivion.

RedAllOver likes this.
  11. troff

troff Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Yes but if we'd kept a forward that barely got into wednesdays team and a midfield player who hardly played at all for villa - and a teenage full back - we'd have won every week from January and got promoted 100% guaranteed....

We've sold a lot of players. We were backed into a corner somewhat on some - but lessons have been learned, we now are issuing longer contracts and having made some money aren't as likely to be bullied. We are moving higher up the food chain.

I don't get what people keep going on about. Had we kept Winnall Hourihane and Bree they would all have left for nothing (in bree's case we'd have been awarded next to sod all in a tribunal most likely) - what was the actual likelihood of a top six finish? Really? We'd have had as much rebuilding to do, in the same division, with a much smaller pot.

I agree we can't keep selling everyone - but so far this summer to my knowledge we've sold one contracted player.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RedAllOver likes this.
  12. Met

Metatarsal Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    1995/96. But to be fair, they were replaced with excellent players. And we know the outcome back then.

Taggart, Bishop, Butler, Rammell, Archdeacon, O'Connell, Payton.
    We also lost Gary Fleming to a career ending injury.

2011/12. Lost 8 and struggled and ultimately led to relegation.

O'Connor, Hill, Dickinson (arguable to call him first team), Devaney, Haynes, Vaz Te, Colace, Shackell.

Also lost a shed load after we were last relegated.

I suppose it shows it's a policy/gamble that doesn't always work, certainly in more recent years. Especially if you don't replace like with like, or better.

13. Red

Red Army Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    sounds inevitable that he will be gone so why did we not get the lad from fleetwood on a free when we were rumoured to be after him instead of letting him join millwall? that would have given us cover?

if he is to go why don't we get harry bunn winger come striker as part of the deal?

just a thought

14. tho

thomasevans Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    We don't have to sell. We don't need the money because we are not skint. Aim to keep him as captain and let us see how high Huddersfield and Swansea are willing to go.

15. Gordon Owen

Gordon Owen Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    We get 14k gates, probably more this year.

Yours

Mr Pendantic

16. Sim

Simon De Montforte Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    We get £6 million a year for being in the championship so we're still in profit by £3 to 4 million over the period without counting gate receipts and merchandising etc Plus we'd have the backbone of a good side that probably could stay in the division.

17. blivy

blivy Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Victim of our own success. Had they been mediocre we wouldn't have lost any of them. But then we'd be stuck with a load of mediocre players.

At least now we've signed/will sign a lot of players who may turn out to be mediocre or may turn out to be just as good as we've lost, only we'll be financially far better off.

Hardly a doom and gloom situation.

YTBFC likes this.
  18. Donny Red

Donny Red Well-Known Member

Retired.
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    We should only keep players who genuinely want to play for our Club.
    We've heard nothing from the player or his agent. We are only going on what
    the papers are telling us.

If it's true bids have been received Hecky has made it plain that the offers thus far have been " derisory".
    I believe that Hecky, Patrick and we the fans are now probably resigned to the fact he's going. Let's just ensure
    we get the right brass for the time invested in making him an International and a better player than when he first
    joined us. Then use some of the money to sign a replacement.
    It's only been happening for 130 years.! We will survive without Andy Yiadom.!

19. Marlon

Marlon Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    What if you question them and they don't get better?
    Players are willing to come to us on reportedly less money being offered elsewhere because of our policy of giving hungry young players a chance to impress the big boys.
    If we stop players from leaving and arguing about contracts how many will want to come?
    Nobody said Hourihane ,Roberts Yiadom etc were gonna be the players they turned out to be so who says these other lads aren't going to be better .
    We have a plan which has enabled us to move players that wanted to move and bring potential in .
    Without this plan players like Mowat, McGeehan etc. wouldn't have entertained us .
    Time for new heroes

churtonred likes this.
  20. Redstar

Redstar Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    There's no point getting attatched to any player as a "hero".