Hypothetical Question for those connected to sports clubs

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by fired, Dec 14, 2017.

1. fir

fired Administrator Staff Member Admin

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    If you could kit out your club team (let's say a junior football team, rugby team etc) with a full team strip, at around £100 = £150 less than other providers, and the kit you were provided with supported a local charity by having their name across the chest, would your club go for it?

I know some clubs raise funds by finding a sponsor.

The kit would be as good quality as the adidas/ nike ones available, but with a lesser known supplier.

The supplier would also provide an online club shop with a variety of additional club products (training tops, hoodies etc).

The charity I work for is looking into this kind of deal, so I'd appreciate any honest thoughts. Especially if you have e.g.s of what teams are paying for full kits, and how they offset it via sponsorship.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2017
  2. Jul

Julian Broddle's Perm Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I managed to bully my employers into sponsoring my lad's junior football team kit. They reluctantly agreed as long as the cost was reasonable. So I did my homework and sourced a lovely 'Mitre' kit, complete with training tops and embroidery for £300, to which work agreed to release the funds.
    At the clubs committee meeting, Mitre was knocked back and it was agreed all teams must wear Nike at a cost of £450 not including training tops!!!
    My options were to withdraw my offer, fund the £150 extra myself or go back cap in hand to work all through the snobbery of not wanting to wear a cheaper brand despite equal or better quality.
    Sorry, rambling a bit here, get the cheapest kit, it's only for rolling round in mud at the end of the day.

Kettlewell likes this.
  3. fir

fired Administrator Staff Member Admin

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)

The kit we'd source is made in the same factory as Nike and Adidas, so quality is the same. I am wary of the "must have Nike/ Adidas" thing though, as it might scupper deals for us.

4. Euroman

Euroman Well-Known Member

Training and Development Consultant retired
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    This reminds me of a running top I bought in the 80s. It cost something like £5 but was the Mileta brand. It was made in a factory a mate of mine at the time was managing and they also made them for Nike. They used the same materials in the same colours but the designs were ever so slightly different. One had a straight edged chest panel and the other a V shape. The big difference was the price of the Nike top which was about £10. I am involved in athletics now and we can source Technical T shirts for £2-3 which the likes of Nike would sell for upwards of £16.

Kettlewell likes this.