I don't trust these new owners one bit. Their tenure so far could not have gone any worse!

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by OnGoingCloud1887, May 18, 2018.

1. lk3

lk311 Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Yep, but your explanation is wasted on some, they see it as simple as X on player or advertising, not being able to see the longer term plan, that will yield greater revenue and benefit to the club long term

MappRed, ScubaTyke and icer like this.
  2. fit

fitzytyke2 Well-Known Member

Seems to me that some people are looking at other clubs with rich owners and making comparisons.

If you look at Wigan, Reading and Bournemouth as 3 obvious ones, they all started slowly and in the lower leagues.

You only have to look at their attendances before takeover and watch them grow over several seasons as they go through the gears in terms of investment.

League one is an ideal place to be a springboard for us and we can gain real momentum this time.

Everyone gets a clean slate from me. Owners, new manager and players alike.

Edit - Bournemouth don't even get the crowds we do.

3. sit

sitting bull Active Member

Think Lindsay came down as a 21 year old

4. fit

There's been quite a bit of nastily slating players all season long, but if they're not good enough, it's really not their fault. They were brought here comparatively cheaply in hope that they could make the step up in quality.

As I've already said, I think these lads, with a few additions will be a force in league one.

MappRed, ScubaTyke and sitting bull like this.
  5. Merde Tete

Merde Tete Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Roberts was 24, and came into a League 1 side who had mostly played together for a year already. Lindsay was dropped into the division above, in a completely new team, at the age of 21. It's no wonder he's been inconsistent. Even Robbo didn't start to fully look the part until after Christmas, his first few weeks were very hit and miss.

MappRed, fitzytyke2 and ScubaTyke like this.
  6. Dja

Django Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I don’t think you understand what I’m saying, I’m not talking about what happened before January, we know results were **** that’s why we went out & signed McBurnie, Moore & others because the squad wasn’t good enough. We were doing well to be out of the bottom 3 at that stage.

I’m saying that with the strengthening we did in January & having more players available we should’ve done better after January which would’ve kept us up but we didn’t under Morais.

In my opinion any competent manager would’ve kept us up with the squad improvements we made especially compared to Bolton who sold their main striker in January.

And why does the job he does at Leeds effect the job he did at Barnsley? It’s completely irrelevant. Football’s full of managers who do well at some clubs & poor at others, you’ve only to look at Allardyce, Moyes, Pardew, Hodgson, Hughes etc for examples of it.

He could win or lose every single game at Leeds & it makes no difference to his time at Barnsley

7. Dja

Django Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Yes & yes

sitting bull likes this.
  8. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley
    We're talking about it as Barnsley fans, already fully aware of the product/service/whatever a football team is. And we're talking about it because one of us (me) thinks it was pointless. I hear your arguments, but I really don't think they apply to a provincial football team who have just been relegated into the third tier of our national league. I think to talk about us as a global brand with where we are now is so far wide of the mark, and any money spent in promoting us that way is wasted. If we start to become successful, if we get into the Premier League, then yes, but at the moment nobody outside South Yorkshire cares. When all you do is look at the bigger picture, the detail gets lost, and it's in the detail where it can all fall apart.

At the moment we need to market ourselves to local fans, local businesses, to get the money in to operate as a viable business in the short term. Things like season ticket sales and filling the corporate boxes are vital for that. To not target the fan base with promotional material regarding season tickets is, in my opinion, appalling marketing. I haven't bought a season ticket. I haven't bought one because, as a season ticket holder for the vast majority of my life, I feel completely undervalued that they haven't bothered to contact me. I may get over that and relent, stop getting munk on, stop being daft, or I may dig my heels in and think, **** 'em, pick and choose the games I want to go to.

OnGoingCloud1887 likes this.
  9. MappRed

MappRed Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    It’s worth noting that @OnGoingCloud1887 previously started a thread extolling the virtues of Cole Kpekawa.

Django likes this.
  10. Sopwith Camel

Sopwith Camel Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    That's what I mean.. all this Internationalise, world wide brand bit, as no bearing what so ever for the common fan. The thing that affects us is what we watch on the field.. and how much we have to pay for the pleasure. Everything else is for the owners.. which as I said I'm not against...

11. lk3

lk311 Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    It has everything to do with the common fan?
    They have always said they want us to be self funding, so we can either carry on as we are buying raw potential talent from bottom of the pyramid and non-league or we can generate more money to enable us to recruit a better standard of player on a consistent basis.

fitzytyke2 likes this.
  12. fit

Agree. In short, everything done off the pitch is there to improve the product, which is the football.

13. PLOBBY

PLOBBY Well-Known Member

keep yer nose out
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I also didn't receive a renewal email or letter , and ive got the proper monk on with the club .But when I've weighed things up what the hell else am I going to do of a Saturday. They've got us by the short and curlys.

14. icer

icer Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Actually the OP was about the Owners. as I said it isn't either or. The owners made their intentions clear. Maybe you don't care about their plans but they do and the potential to develop a global brand was one of their reasons for buying us. I didn't see any takers on buying the club to retain a provincial football position and limit ambition to the locality. Do I agree that the club should market to local fans, the football on the pitch, season ticket holders new and old, and have strong focus on the immediate needs, absolutely yes. However I may be in the minority but I'm pleased we also have an ambition to be bigger with a higher profile, and ambition backed by the owners skills, experience and money. Some clearly haven't embraced this so will be interesting where our club ends up in the next 10 years.

Red CB, YTBFC, churtonred and 3 others like this.
  15. MappRed

MappRed Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Excellent post.

16. OnGoingCloud1887

OnGoingCloud1887 Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Well he certainly can't do it on a consistent basis. Reckon he'll jump ship anyway

17. fit

Who would want him? Him being **** like

18. OnGoingCloud1887

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Dropping down a division due to lack of investment is not a good sign. Where will this 'revenue' come from in League 1? -£6,000,000 on TV money, less season tickets, no pay on the gates as no one in their right mind will pay good money to watch us battle Accrington, less merchandise sales, no club going to even fill half of the North Stand all season.

If their plan is to increase transfer budgets & wage budgets when the revenue increases then I'm afraid at the very best we'll be in for a Sheffield United sort of stint in League 1, although at the moment it wouldn't surprise me if we went straight through.

PLOBBY likes this.
  19. OnGoingCloud1887

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Some Scottish team probably. Some of these young British players get way over hyped

20. fit

But why would he jump ship? He's come here for better money. Why would he leave a good wage and a majority of fans that appreciate him?