I think we're really missing our pressing game

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by Atac, Jan 9, 2018.

1. Ata

Atac Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I like a reasoned argument and I see your point...but I would persevere with trying to breed pressing into the way we play. I think some of our lads need to work on fitness, I think some need to switch on more but they all need to work on what they do without the ball. Pressing really works when done whole-heartedly with energy and focus. If you're playing a better team and you don't press then you're just giving them more time and space to show you up. I'd press every team, I agree with the counter-points that Chef has made. Good teams look better given time and space, so deprive them of both.

Connor likes this.
  2. Ata

Atac Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Have we bought players that can't press, or just won't press? Too many switch off at times.

3. Red

Red Rain Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    It is not just that the players have to be of a particular type, or fit enough to play the pressing game without getting too tired and be unable to respond to what the opposition do later in the game, though that is another danger of the pressing game. It is also that all the players must understand when it is appropriate to do it, and when it is appropriate to drop off into a deeper formation. I have heard lots of coaches talk about the triggers for the press, but they never go on to explain what these triggers are. I mean, I can see that one of the triggers would be a full back trapped in a defensive corner with none of his team-mates in a position to receive a pass, but I am sure there must be others. These triggers are hard to recognise for the players, and unless all the players recognise the trigger and react to it, the press will not work because there will not be enough players committed to it. The press requires that everyone reacts, or it is too easy to pass around it and the effort is a wasted one. If your team is in flux, which ours is, it becomes even more difficult to be sure that the trigger will be seen, and acted upon by everyone. It is just not possible to play a pressing game for 90 minutes or the players will just get too tired. The pressing game must be triggered by events.

Now it may sound like I do not know what I am talking about, and that is almost 100% correct. I don't. But what I do know is Hecky does know what he is talking about, and if Hecky thought the pressing game was appropriate, we would be playing that way. I have often said that I wish I understood more about the sport that I watch. Failing that, I have to have faith that the professionals know what they are doing, assume they are right, and try to work out why they are doing what they do. My explanation for the lack of pressing is based upon these principles, and my limited understanding of what it means in practice.

4. ronnieGlavinsB@stardSon

ronnieGlavinsB@stardSon Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley
    Not to worry - I'm sure Hecky will iron it out :p

Atac likes this.
  5. Che

Chef Tyke Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley
    This is what I don’t quite understand - we seemed to have an effective system but then bought players that don’t necessarily match it - see Mowatt etc

6. Stephen

Stephen Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    The one basic one is when the striker decides to go the whole team should go too to support him.

The reading game it hit home for me and then did my head in, Bradshaw ran and ran to close down their defence but no one went with him, then thiam would have a go on his own. They should both go together with support from the midfield and the defence pushing up to close the gap that the midfield leave.

7. Ata

Atac Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    All reasoned points and well made, Red. I also think Hecky is a good coach on the balance. But, as dinosaur, I don't like watching my team sit back and let teams come on. We don't have to agree and I respect your well articulated view - it's refreshing.

8. Ata

Atac Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
  9. Red

Red Rain Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Thanks for that - very interesting without providing a lot more insight. It seems though that the pressing game is also different from manager to manager. That raises a lot more questions about how the systems differ and what the different triggers are as employed by the different managers.

10. Con

Connor Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Just listened to Eric Winstanley interview for our heritage interviews . What a player and coach he was. Coached his teams to play the ball fast and on the move , as the ball rolls faster than a player can run . All our coaches could learn a lot off him

Atac and Metatarsal like this.
  11. Ata

Atac Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    No one said it's easy but that's why we have a professional Head Coach. Perhaps he hasn't got the players he needs for it to work or he doesn't feel the effort is worth the anticipated outcome. I'll leave it there, good stuff - thanks for the discussion.