I was 12 when i watched the 66 final win.

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by jax2, Jul 8, 2018.

1. gra

grandfathertyke Well-Known Member

Retired teacher, modern languages and classics
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I was 19 and on a long course at Coimbra University in Portugal. I watched it on the telly with other English students in a bar full of very anti-English Portuguese. (We pasted them in the semi.) We must have looked rough, because they confined themselves to muttering. That night, although poverty-stricken as hell, we treated ourselves to a steak dinner and a boatload of wine, followed by a trawl round all the bars in Coimbra. There was a big religious procession on that night that we didn't know about, and on bursting out of one bar, "flown with insolence and wine" (John Milton) we found ourselves in the middle of the procession and starring on national television. We were quickly arrested and hustled up a side-street out of the way. I've never sobered up as quick, as I thought that we were in for a right kicking off the notorious Salazar police. They held us until the coast had cleared, then it was handshakes all round and take it steady lads. We did. I'll be watching this one from a comfy armchair at home, but I wouldn't mind another night like that one.

2. John Peachy

John Peachy Well-Known Member

The littlest hobo
    Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Age affects your perspective massively. I'm a good few years younger than some posters, but probably in the older 30/40 % who remember the Glavin / Clarke / Hunter era & the dark Iley ones. You kinda get the rough idea of how old someone might be by certain viewpoints / perceptions. This type of forum is raw, so you do get good stuff & bad stuff in equal measure. It is why it is interesting most of the time. Being anonymous also allows some racists to use it as a platform. Cunning Stunt for example never posted anything about the team, just right wing propaganda.

Coming back to '66 things have changed massively. We've passed through dark days in the 80's of football violence & racism.
    We have different problems now. Overplayed players, agents, overpriced tickets and morgue like stadiums.

It is still a game of football & I think Southgate has truly changed things, if you want to be an England fan. I've always supported the team, although to a far lesser extent than I do Barnsley FC, especially in recent times. I think if we stick with this guy, we could have our next Alf Ramsey. Not sure if it will be this time it comes home, but stick with him & I think we have our best chance. Very articulate person about being English, proud & dignified. I respect him.

Xerxes likes this.
  3. John Peachy

John Peachy Well-Known Member

The littlest hobo
    Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    That is a good story. I like the Milton reference, with what would be labelled "hooliganism" by many. Genuinely interesting.

grandfathertyke likes this.
  4. North Yorks Red

North Yorks Red Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I remember being out playing football with my mates and my dad calling me in because it was nearly kick off time, then watching it with my dad and grandad.

5. barnsley66

barnsley66 Well-Known Member

Learner Support Assistant/Happy Clapper
    Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I was 14 and that World Cup win sparked my interest in football. Watched it at home. Saw my first Barnsley game in September v Southport at Oakwell. A nil-nil draw.

6. North Yorks Red

North Yorks Red Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    That was my first game ! :)

barnsley66 likes this.
  7. arp

arpete Well-Known Member

educating the masses
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I was 11 and remember watching on a black and white telly. I burst into tears when West Germany (as they were then),made it 2-2in the final few minutes. But those words by Kenneth Wolstenholme still bring a lump to my throat even now after 52years....there are some people on the pitch they think its all over... it is now. I hope the lads in Russia can win it again. As a footballing nation we have waited too long. Come on lads, make the three lions roar again!!!

8. Mic

Michael Noz Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I was twelve, too. I'd been to the Germany games v Austria and Switz at Hillsborough. I remember some of the players (Seeler, Haller, Shellingner (?) Hosp (? aust or swiss).

I was proud that Mohammad Ali was at the match and was interviewed on TV.

9. sadbrewer

sadbrewer Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I was 8, and I remember it as though it was yesterday....black and white telly, bright sunny afternoon so we had to shut all the curtains to see the picture, just me, my mum and dad...the old man went upstairs for a slash just before Martin Peters scored , I ran up to tell him and jumped back down the last few steps of the stairs in excitement....nearly broke my legs....probably that that's knackered my knees today.
    I had all the souvenirs...World Cup Willie etc...scrapbooks full of pictures of all the players of every country I could find.
    Much as I will cherish the experience for my whole life...and if we do manage to do it again, I hope the younger posters on here will enjoy it equally, at the end of the day it's no more than a game of football.

10. Did

Didcot Red Well-Known Member

Retired
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I was 14 and I couldn't have been that interested or had lost track of the time as when I got home England were a goal down. I had been wandering about down the wreckage of Mitchell's coking plant and the fishing pond near the dyke (river Dove). It sparked my interest in the Reds though as the next season I only missed one home game during 1966/7, at that stage of the season it was a rare win against Luton 2-1.

11. George Kerr

George Kerr Well-Known Member

Retired
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I was 18 in 1966 and enjoying my (legally) first drink. Sheff Wed had lost the Cup Final, thanks to Gerry Young's mistake and Trebilcock's winning goal. Although the media hype for the world cup wasn't the same as today the excitement and euphoria of the fans was. Without the big screens and 'tellies' in pubs there weren't the big crowds jumping about, wasting beer and acting daft. That said the press weren't as critical of the manager or the team as they have over the past 40 years, that started after the 1970 World Cup in Mexico. I'm pleased to say the current team and manager are getting the same support as England had back then, hopefully that continues to next Sunday..

Didcot Red likes this.
  12. TitusMagee

TitusMagee Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Jeez it's like a chuffing nursing home this thread ;)

Seriously though, love reading the stories especially grandfathertyke's Portugal one. I hope my generation and younger (I'm 37) can some day see it repeated, hopefully this year.

I followed international football before my first trip to Oakwell so the semi v Germany in 1990 will always be special but equally the most upsetting game I've ever seen.

JLWBigLil likes this.
  13. barnsley66

barnsley66 Well-Known Member

Learner Support Assistant/Happy Clapper
    Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I think it showed us what to expect for the next 50 years!

North Yorks Red likes this.
  14. Stamfordtyke

Stamfordtyke Active Member

Full time Barnsley supporter
    Stamford, Lincs. Born n dragged up in Thurnscoe
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Yet another 11 year old here, same story as already mentioned playing in street till called in at kick off time.

15. Acido Tyke

Acido Tyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I was minus 5 in 1966 lol, so my first real footy tournament memories are from Wcup '78 & Euro '80. :eek:

16. jax2

jax2 Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I notice most of us were "playing out" before the game. Next doors lad had an ipad, well a large plaster over the left lens of his glasses. Funny that's another thing you don't see anymore.

17. Por

PortisRed Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I probably cried and sh*t myself. I was 8 months old.