If your son or daughter is off to Uni

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by fired, Aug 13, 2020.

1. Tyke_67

Tyke_67 Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Rented a place near Birmingham and the fire in living room was condemned when i got the place. Complained to landlord and he brought a new one. Trouble was he did it while we were out at work and he was say on the settee when i got home from work (hadn't seen him only spoke to him on phone). Shock of my life when i went in living room.... who the f*ck are you??? I'm the landlord just dropped off your new fire.... oh and by the way, can you pay this months rent while I'm here???? Errrrm, no f*ck off, it's on direct debit

2. Tyke_67

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    What about the ones who rented their place out while they worked away from home?

3. Plankton Pete

Plankton Pete Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    They should chuffin stay in France. Or summat.

Burgundy Red and JLWBigLil like this.
  4. wak

wakeyred Well-Known Member

the clues in my imaginative online moniker
    Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    In my daughters 3rd year at Nottingham, there were 6 of them, they took around 100 photo's of the property when they moved in, when they moved out the landlord wanted all their deposits plus another £1000 for damages, cleaning etc. My daughter got a first in Law, they provided evidence for all the things they were saying had been damaged, which were broken/torn/marked/not working when they moved in, and also the emails they'd sent at the beginning of the year to the letting agency pointing out the broken light, etc. They did admit to breaking one thing as I recall, after my daughters letters they ended up getting all their deposits back and paying £100. I remember the landlord wanted to charge them £5 for "removing a plastic bag from the kitchen", they were that petty. The whole process took about 4-5 months - the deposits were with that 3rd party scheme and the dispute has to go through them - there is no way they were paying him and we would have taken it to court. All I can say is that these chiseling bstards just expect to milk students and based on their sloppy attempt expect little resistance - don't know how they live with themselves or why there cannot be some way to disbar them from being landlords after what amounts to defrauding people of their money.

fired likes this.
  5. Tyke_67

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    What are you on about?

6. Plankton Pete

Plankton Pete Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Whoosh.

Edit: Psssst, read @Burgundy Red's contributions to this thread.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2020
  7. man

mansfield_red Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    This is correct (assuming it is an assured shorthold tenancy). If he didn't protect the deposit he's f*cked it and will be liable for a penalty.

8. JLWBigLil

JLWBigLil Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Daft bugger!:D
    Take no notice of him, Burgundy Red, don't let him bully you!:D

TitusMagee and Burgundy Red like this.
  9. Tyke_67

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I read them, but you replied to me about people working away from home renting their place out.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2020
  10. Dar

Darfield138 Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)

11. fir

fired Administrator Staff Member Admin

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I think we are referring to the same person, yes.

12. Burgundy Red

Burgundy Red Well-Known Member

Ninja (retired)
    Style:
    Barnsley
    Just a crossed wire. @Plankton Pete was only having a bit of a laugh at my predicament.

13. fir

fired Administrator Staff Member Admin

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Exactly this - except our particular Agent comes with an added bonus of making every attempt to ridicule the students and their parents as part of the deal.

wakeyred likes this.
  14. Dar

Darfield138 Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Fired, two points mate.
    1. I'm a private landlord and i've helped friends take rogue landlords to court before. Did your kid get notification at the start which Tenancy Deposit Scheme the Landlord was using to either hold or insure the deposit? Bet they didnt. Its a legal requirement. If not start legal action in the small claims court online after a letter before action giving 14 days for return. The Court will order return of a deposit for that reason alone and has the power to make the landlord pay up to 200% as a penalty for breaking the law

2. On a more general note beware of Purpose Built Student accomodation (private halls) I moved my son out at start of lockdown of a PBSA. It was 5 stories high and housed 120 students but in a series of small flats each with 4 beds-so it gets through a loophole of being a house in multiple occupation and the council cant inspect it. The place was a deathtrap. Blocked fire escapes (on 5th floor) faulty wall heaters, no fire extinguishers etc and claimed to be a member of a private accreditation (which it turned out kicked them off it for poor standards.) He was facing a £1400 bill but after a report to council/fire brigade and a nasty letter they dropped the claim and refunded his deposit. I have been in a discourse with the Housing Minister to try and get this loophole fixed re the HIMO loophole

15. Farnham_Red

Farnham_Red Administrator Staff Member Admin

Style:
    Barnsley
    I wouldnt - If you arent desperate for the cash its far better to keep a property and rent it out - it will increase in value far more than money invested somewhere and you get rent and if you find good tenants and a good agent its not a lot of hassle

We have let out the wifes parents house since we inherited it and had 2 sets of tenants - first OK but then we had to evict them when they split up and the only way the mum could get rehoused was if we evicted her - council wouldn't pay for a 3 bed for just her and a child - we lost some rent but she never did any harm to the place

Current lot have been no trouble at all and been in for a few years - only problem we have is they want to buy the house. if we say no then they will go and buy elsewhere but it seems mean to do that when they are happy where they are and want to buy it

Only problem for us is its hassle of then finding another house and the losses due to capital gains tax and solicitors etc + we can offset costs of repairs between tenants against tax but if we buy a different house we cant offset getting it into a rentable state against tax either.

we will sell if we can agree a price with them though - just getting evaluations at the minute

16. Brush

Brush Well-Known Member

Ex-IT professional
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    My daughter (33 with an 8 year old daughter) is in dispute with her previous landlord over the deposit. They went in to do some painting after she moved out - even though they told her it was perfect at the time, spilt paint on the carpet and now want her to pay for it out of the deposit.

The new landlord is a lovely bloke who she'll have no problems with. ;);)

TitusMagee likes this.
  17. Tyke_67

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    See previous posts. Rented my house for a few years and thousands of pounds of damage done plus rent outstanding. If i did it for 20 years I would have no house left. Had to evict to get house back. Was recommending to Burgundy to sell rather than rent based on my experience

18. stairfoot.red

stairfoot.red Well-Known Member

Computer Engineer
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Some of the campus accomodation in unis isn't great either parents need to be watchful and be prepared for a fight whether that be uni or private accommodiation.

19. DEETEE

DEETEE Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    theres a company that'll help split the bills between tenants, id not give them a banana split.

20. Ses

Sestren Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Can't the deposit protection scheme help out? They're supposed to mediate nowadays, and you can demands through them that he itemises everything.

If he's not using a DPS then he's in big trouble.