Implications For Brexit

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by Conan Troutman, Jun 9, 2017.

1. Con

Conan Troutman Well-Known Member

Professional Football Fan
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I must have missed the VAT referendum.

2. MDG

MDG Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I just used it as something that was implemented by a government. It could be any political decision. You can't just cry and whine about something until you get your own way. Referendum happened, people voted out we are leaving. Even though we shouldn't need to go through this process as we only ever signed up to a common market all those years back. So since we were misled by all following governments we as the public never agreed to any political or fiscal union in the first place. What are you actually wanting a referendum on again?

3. Con

Conan Troutman Well-Known Member

Professional Football Fan
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Everything I don't agree with!

4. MDG

MDG Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Tough cookies then. Just keep voting as you believe, as will everyone else. Win some lose some..

5. Sco

Scoff Well-Known Member

The interface between business and technology
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    To be completely honest, I think long-term it will be a USofE, or Federal EU, or whatever you want to call it. The current countries will be the equivalent of the American States, with much the same laws across the board and some regional variation. Let's be completely honest here, would it actually make any difference to our lives if all our laws were written in Brussels or London? - none of us on here are part of the Global elite 0.1% or starving peasants in sub-Saharan Africa. We grow up, work, marry and retire living within the rules of society. Sometimes our taxes will decrease, more often they will increase or we will get less for them.

If we are outside, then we will lose out. The world is going to consolidate over the next century, and we will probably end up with maybe 7-8 superstates - The USA/Canada/Mexico, India/South Asia, China/East Asia, South America, Europe and Africa. Those will have the power and the leadership of the world. Probably within the century after that (possibly this one), it will probably consolidate down to one global state, as opposed to Mars, The Moon, etc. The alternative is probably the kind of war that leaves us back in the Stone Age, and I know which I'd prefer.

Given the current state of the UK parliament, where if/when Labour get in and nationalise various industries then the Tories will just sell them off again if/when they get back in again and the same with policies in every area of life. Think of the amount of money and effort being wasted and not much actually improves over time.

BBBFC likes this.
  6. Skryptic

Skryptic Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    So let's join the Yanks. Every argument for staying in the EU has an equivalent argument for becoming the 51st state. At least the Yanks speak English.

7. Sco

Scoff Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    We could just as easily join with Australia, but distance is the main factor. In a trade block with the USA and Canada, we'd be the third partner (possibly even fourth with Mexico) due to the distances involved, whereas in Europe, we'd be on the top table with Germany, France and Italy. Besides, if you look at American society with any kind of detail, you see that it is not that great a place unless you have a lot of cash.

8. Donny Red

Donny Red Well-Known Member

Retired.
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Probably one saving grace in the whole sorry mess of Brexit is that we are " in the people business."
    By that I mean the traders and manufacturers have to sell their goods to make profit to survive.

In doing so they establish partnerships and sometimes lasting friendships that bring mutual benefit.
    It's happened since the beginning of time. The more enterprising will explore ways to make sure similar
    arrangements continue.

9. Donny Red

Retired.
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Queens speech due next Monday has been postponed.
    Speculation that Brexit talks may now be put back.
    Business as normal.!!!!????

10. Farnham_Red

Farnham_Red Administrator Staff Member Admin

Style:
    Barnsley
    Good to see we are stopping undesirable immigrants coming over here taking our Jobs

Nurses arent coming over anymore
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-40248366

That was what we all wanted wasnt it - or is it just me that thinks this isn't actually a good thing

BFC Dave and Jimmy viz like this.
  11. Sco

Scoff Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I'm now convinced that in 5-10 years time when people realise what Brexit has done to this country there will be blood on the streets. I've yet to see anything to persuade me we won't see Thatcheresque levels of job losses in that time frame.

tinatyke, pompey_red and BBBFC like this.
  12. tyr

tyrone1 Banned Idiot

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    the job loses will be far in excess of what Maggie inflicted

tinatyke likes this.
  13. Sco

Scoff Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Have to agree. I reckon 3-5 million as a direct or indirect result within the next decade and recovery maybe in the next 25 years.

I really, really hope I'm wrong

14. Jimmy viz

Jimmy viz Well-Known Member

Ballet Dancer
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I can see both sides of the EU argument.

http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/2015/06/john-king-left-wing-case-leaving-eu

Politically I agree with a lot of the arguments above but I voted remain as I thought at the time of the referendum it was the best outcome for the nation.

As for a catastrophic impact on jobs I'm not so sure. In the short term there will be an impact. How long that will last for is difficult to ascertain. I suspect a lot depends on how we leave. If we go into discussions openly and fraternal with a cross party approach led by say Keir Starmer it may be less catastrophic than we think. If it's the brain dead May and her cronies parroting no deal is better than a bad deal then we are screwed.

Certainly the best place for Labour is in opposition when the **** storm hits rather than being blamed for it.

Sent from my iPad using Barnsley FC BBS Fans Forum

Extremely Northern and BFC Dave like this.
  15. Euroman

Euroman Well-Known Member

Training and Development Consultant retired
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Why leave when young youth of the country will have us back in within 10 years. We need a 2nd referendum now that the lies the Brexiters told us have been exposed for what they are.

16. Sco

Scoff Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I said before the referendum (only half joking) that perhaps Leave should win. The only way to shut the argument down forever is to let them have their chance and see exactly what damage it does. It will be a long road to get back in, and will most probably cost the £ and any vetos we enjoyed before. We were holding European integration back before, so it will race on without us and we will need a new generation in charge to reintegrate.

17. Ext

Extremely Northern Well-Known Member

Professional Northerner.
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)

"Supporters of the EU sneer “Little Englander” at those with a different opinion, but most of the arguments against membership are left-leaning and liberal."

Abso-*******-lutely

18. dartonpete

dartonpete Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Everything that was wrong with the EU had little or no direct impact on our lives, still waiting for someone to tell me what EU rule we scrap will change their lives. It was literally the immigrant problem in my eyes what caused the exit & the 350m for the NHS ******. The remain campaign failed the moment Cameron was in it.

19. orsenkaht

orsenkaht Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    And as I forecast, Mr Verhofstadt says a U-turn would mean giving up our rebate. Further proof (as if it were needed) of how ill-advised the 'leave' decision was.

20. Donny Red

Retired.
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Unfortunately in my opinion the electorate weren't aware of the true facts. The emphasis seemed to revolve around
    curbing immigration, having total responsibility for our own laws and the millions we pay into the EU being
    diverted into the NHS. We also didn't appreciate the type of exit package the Government might be aiming to negotiate
    (that's if they knew themselves of course.!)

Had the correct information been given people would have been better placed to make a more informed
    decision and the eventual outcome could well have been a lot different.

Some political commentators are now recommending that the options should be discussed on a cross party basis .
    Whether there is any scope for involving the electorate at some point to judge opinion now that we are clearer on the possible implications remains to be seen.

If things do go wrong for us sadly it's the younger and future generation who will bear the full brunt.