In's & Out's

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by ArchieRed, Apr 25, 2017.

1. Arc

ArchieRed Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Season nearly done, think we all know there's a massive job to rebuild in the summer, below are my guesses as to who will be here & who wont.

Deffo Off

Watkins
    Scowan
    James
    Kent
    Armstrong
    Jones
    White
    Lee
    Nyatanga
    Tuton
    R Williams
    Elder

Possible to be sold

Yiadom
    Roberts
    Kpekewa

Here next season

Davies
    McDonald
    Mowatt
    Moncur
    Bradshaw
    Hamill
    Hedges
    Almediea
    Jackson

Not a clue on

Townsend
    U23's
    Janko (Possible try & sign??)

It's a huge turn around in players, not sure what can be done to tie players up for longer, or offer options on further years, but something has to be done to stop this wholesale change each year.

I admit there is always a element of change & development, but this time it is a total rebuild & no one can say with any degree of certainty that we will be 'fine' next year in the championship, it will be a bun fight again & if we leave it till late like we usually do, i fear we will be feeding off of crumbs....

2. twi

twillo Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Jones is out of contract in the summer so reckon we'll sign him

3. Hem

Hemsworth Tyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Seen a few of these threads.

How can anyone say players definitely off or not yet? Watkins and Scowen will have representatives talking to someone at the club. I've not a clue who quite truthfully but there will be someone. Maybe Maurice Watkins or someone within that solicitors.

Not sure why people are putting it that players are leaving.

Of the loan players, I wouldn't be surprised to see Gethin Jones here next season. Great player for a small squad. Very versatile.

Kpekewa, Don't write him off. I watched him against a youthful but good Charlton u23 team and he looked good imo. The club have to take a look at themselves over him He was been converted to a CB at QPR and for whatever reason, PH decided to throw him in at LB. Did he struggle at times, yes. Was he at fault for everything that went wrong like people made out? no. He dealt with knockaert a lot better than Yiadom did at Oakwell down at the AMEX. I
    I think he could be a decent ball playering centre back given the chance.

stairfoot.red and Kettlewell like this.
  4. Red

RedAllOver Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I reckon that we'll end up with around 14 first-team players after those who are going to leave do so. We'll need around 12 signings; hopefully one or two step up from development squad if we're lucky.

I don't agree we always leave it late. Last season we signed 3 in May before play-offs have finished. If we do something similar this year it will provide a lot of reassurances to fans I think.

We signed 14 last summer, a lot of those have done well, some mixed, some haven't worked. The same will happen again, but I have faith that we'll get it right, given our transfer record in the last 2-3 years

5. Red

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Agree re Kpekawa, but I think the reason people are wondering whether he has a future is because he's not even been playing for the U23s much recently

Very difficult to predict what will happen, but the club know what they're doing. What will be will be

6. DEETEE

DEETEE Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Kapow has been told by all accounts to get his noggin sorted and apply his self correctly if he wants to make it at this level.

7. Redstar

Redstar Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I can confirm that this is correct. The lad isn't interested as it stands.

8. MexboroughTyke

MexboroughTyke Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    Do you think any of the other development players could step up? How do you rate Charles?

9. Merde Tete

Merde Tete Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Lacking the application to make it in a job which you can clearly do very well, and if you play your cards right you can be a millionaire by 25-30. Absolutely unfathomable.

Journo Tyke and MexboroughTyke like this.
  10. S.M.

S.M. Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Ins and outs... ie dipping.

11. Dan

DannyWilsonLovechild Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley
    "It's a huge turn around in players, not sure what can be done to tie players up for longer, or offer options on further years, but something has to be done to stop this wholesale change each year."

I can't disagree with the sentiment at all, but times have hugely changed post Bosman, and the ever increasing volumes of money washing around make it especially difficult for us.

The flipside is if you offer a long contract to someone who then turns out to be garbage. You're stuck paying 3-4 years salary to someone, and as we experienced not too long ago, you end up paying them to go to free up a little bit of room. Kennedy and Wiseman spring to mind. And also recall Conor Wilkinson wanting a 4 year deal. Imagine that!?!?!?!?!

And does a player want to sign for that long? Especially if they are confident they can progress. It's in the players interest to do well, see where he is at the end of year 1, and see if he can get a pay day somewhere.

We're damned if we do, damned if we don't. Sign too long and if it doesn't work out we've a long term cost we cant get rid of easily. Too short, and we miss out on possible sell on value. Not easy at all.

BBBFC, RedAllOver and MexboroughTyke like this.
  12. Til

Tilertoes Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    You've just beaten me to the same point but I was going to name frimpong, Michael smith and dan crowley

13. Jimmy viz

Jimmy viz Well-Known Member

Ballet Dancer
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    The straightforward way to avoid contracts running down and also avoid entering into lengthy contracts that may reward failure is to build appearance/performance based automatic extensions and pay increases into contracts.

John Peachy likes this.
  14. Dan

DannyWilsonLovechild Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley
    But the sad fact is, even if we did such a thing (and I don't know if we do that already or not), as soon as a player of ours is on an upward trajectory, the likes of an Aston Villa are all too happy to speculatively turn a players head and quote telephone number sized weekly salaries we cant get remotely near. It's crap. It really is.

The only way you ultimately stop that is getting to the pig trough as well. Which is what all these teams bankrupting themselves are trying to do too.

15. occ

occook Banned Idiot

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Thing is it's what we do to lower league players as well. We pick up the likes of Scowen, Mawson, Hourihane and Roberts from lower leagues because we can offer them a higher level of playing and more money. The way we keep moving forward is we buy cheap, improve, and sell big. Then invest that money in more or better lower league players and repeat the cycle.

If the model works we continue making a profit on players, and as we get more money secured can afford to turn down offers or demand higher prices if the players want to leave.

We are very very new to this business model. The key to moving forward is can we spot the better L1 and lower Championship players that can improve significantly in the way the L2 and conference players like Mawson, Scowen and Hourihane have.

Guess we'll find out over the next couple of years.

Metatarsal likes this.
  16. Red

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Of course, this sounds great in theory and I'm sure the club would want to do it if possible. But from the player's point of view, it's unlikely they're going to want to commit to any more than 3 years, so the 'risk' to them of a contact potentially extending by a further year or two if they do well, putting off potential suitors, isn't going to appeal to them for a club like ours

17. Jimmy viz

Ballet Dancer
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Many clubs do it. Locally Danny Ward at Rotherham had a clause that was triggered this season for an automatic extension. Do you really thing lads coming from non league like Roberts and McDonald or lower leagues like Yiadom would quibble about it? They might do now but not at the time they signed. You have to get it right at the start. It's not the sort of thing you can negotiate mid contract.

Sent from my iPad using Barnsley FC BBS Fan Forum mobile app

John Peachy likes this.
  18. Jimmy viz

Ballet Dancer
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    It allows you to get true market value if they don't want to sign longer term all it would buy you really is breathing space.

Sent from my iPad using Barnsley FC BBS Fan Forum mobile app

19. Exi

Exile Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley
    'Kin ell for the first time ever I find myself totally 100% in agreement with you on this one Hemmsy. (Shame you talk such complete and utter ******** about Andy Y).

Red CB likes this.
  20. Acido Tyke

Acido Tyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I really dont think as many as that will end up going. So Im trying not to panic too much at the moment about what is simply guesswork, none of us know for sure who will stay and/or go.

Yo Archie Ive just realised your the OP on this thread, dont I know you from somewhere else! :cool:

Last edited: Apr 26, 2017