Instead of allowing our NEW manager

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by tyrone1, Jul 10, 2018.

1. shenk1

shenk1 Well-Known Member

Urine Extraction Technician
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Deep joy! :D

2. Dan

DannyWilsonLovechild Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley
    Typically a good team has a good midfield and a poor team has a poor midfield. We were a poor team last season and have lost our loans, Knasmullner and Mallan. We've still an abundance of forward only thinking midfielders. I can't imagine a high press working with our current group.

3. tyr

tyrone1 Banned Idiot

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    We were a decent team with a poor manager

4. Dan

DannyWilsonLovechild Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley
    We were a poor team, with poor players, poor tactics, poor effort, poor skill and poor management, off the back of erratic poor recruitment and management decisions.

There really wasn't a lot of good from last season, at all.

5. Loko the Tyke

Loko the Tyke Administrator Staff Member Admin

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Hard to know what players we need when we don't know how we'll setup to play.

You could argue that we have capable League One wingers in Hedges, Isgrove, Cavare and Motley Henry. You could also argue we don't. The system might allow Thiam to be classed as a winger. It might not.

Davies is a record-breaking, promotion winning goalkeeper. With his confidence back you could argue him and Walton are perfectly equipped to lead us back to the Championship. You could also argue against that. Or you might want us to play Walton from the start and see if we have a player on our hands. But you could see that as too risky.

I went to loads of games last season.

JLWBigLil and occook like this.
  6. Rob

Robert_Goulet Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    2 wingers for starters, as hedges, an injury prone Isgrove and DMH aren't really going to cut it are they?

Let's face it Bradshaw is off, therefore that leaves Moore & Thiam, which hardly fills me with hope, therefore another 2 strikers.

We also require a decent defensive midfield player in my opinion, as our central midfield options are attack minded.

This while, we wait to shift players out. Its going to be a last minute rush to sign folk, and be left with January-esque signings.

7. Donny Red

Donny Red Well-Known Member

Retired.
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Once listened to Stanley commentating on Freddie Trueman taking a wicket against the Aussies in a Test Match thus:
    " Freddy Truebold, fastee runee down a wickie, fastee bowlee, wickie flyee, floppit down on kneebolds, alleluia OUT."
    Absolute legend. Don't forget as said in a previous thread, those were the days when we had steam radio as the only real
    form of entertainment. Me Fatther used to sit in our front room puffing on his pipe, whilst I played Subbuteo on the carpet.
    He listened to a programme called " Round the Horne". You would here a door slam and a bloke would say " I'll not take my
    Coat off ' cos I'm not stopping" at which point ar old feller would be nearly pi*sing himself. Later on we would hear a bloke
    called Ronnie Ronaldo doing bird impressions, a Russian tap dancing troupe and a ventroquiloist Peter Brough and his
    dummy Archie Andrews. When we first got a telly, I watched a programme called " Muffin' the Mule." These days, that would
    be classed as some form of sexual perversion. How times have changed. !!!!

Last edited: Jul 10, 2018
    Shy Talk and Kettlewell like this.
  8. Xer

Xerxes Well-Known Member

Ex-oil Company Project Director
    West Riding of Yorkshire or St Selve, France
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    The guy at the door was Ken Platt, and the ventriloquist was Peter Brough.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2018
  9. TitusMagee

TitusMagee Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    How long before you create a thread telling us your real name is Claus from Denmark, only to have your bonfire pissed on by our multilingual friend, Tomi?

10. fit

fitzytyke2 Well-Known Member

I don't think our current needs are the same as they were 12 months ago. Different level, fresh start.

tyrone1 likes this.
  11. Gally

Gally Administrator Staff Member Admin

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley
    Is that why we haven't signed anyone? Because a controlled and thoughtful process is going on. I don't believe that to be the case.

Sopwith Camel likes this.
  12. Sta

Stahlrost Well-Known Member

None
    Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    We need at least 5 goalkeepers.

Jack Tatty likes this.
  13. orsenkaht

orsenkaht Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Aye. Let him tekk his time. After all, it's only ten weeks since we were relegated. No rush. After all, Sheff U spent half a dozen seasons in t'Alehouse League so we can live with that. No worries. We don't want to go up too soon.

14. Exi

Exile Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley
    One issue seems to be the differential closure dates for the transfer window between England and the rest of Europe - English clubs shopping abroad (which with a French CEO and German management team it would be reasonable to assume we are) only have until August 9 to buy but the transfer window in Germany, for example, is open until 31 August. This will lead to (even more) inflated prices to English clubs if they want their man three weeks before the German club could still receive offers for him from other quarters. Moreover, the German club may be reluctant to let a fringe player go until they are further on finalising their own squad which a lot of them may still be doing with over three weeks left when our window shuts.

15. Mr Badger

Mr Badger Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Are you confusing two programmes with one, or possibly one with two?
    Round the Horne had Kenneth Horne, Kenneth Williams, Hugh Paddick, Betty Marsden and Bill Pertwee. They never came in through a door saying I'm not stopping.
    They did however have Julian and Sandy and the great J Peasmold Gruntfuttock.

16. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley
    Me neither. Its because we haven't got any money.

17. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley
    Could you argue we don't need a ball winning midfielder? Be interested to hear it if you can.

18. occ

occook Banned Idiot

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I’m still trying to remain patient, as there are 2/3 weeks left. But it does seem slightly odd not a single first team player has been signed. No out of contract players were brought in - may well have missed out on players going to higher clubs or they just didn’t seem any worth signing. But GG was clear - we had a list of targets. Be nice to have an update on how those targets are progressing. It can’t have been the plan to wait until last couple of weeks of pre season. Strange plan if it was. If it was to let the new manager have a say then that’s fair enough. But he’s been around the club for nearly a month now & you would think targets would have been approached.

We definitely do need that. We have plenty of attacking CMs, but we need someone to sit in front of the back 3 or 4 and break play up, start attacks moving. It is probably the most crucial area of recruitment for me. Get that right, with one ready to go and one development player and I would say we could make a fist of it. Ideally I think we should get that position filled to replace Gardner and Williams, a winger to replace Hammill and then it’s a case of one in / one out probably.

19. Donny Red

Donny Red Well-Known Member

Retired.
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    To be honest Mr B, I didn't take much notice which was which programme. I only heard the comments cos I was playing Subbuteo with my mate behind the settee. Our family Doctor was a hard drinking Irishman who had to have a driver because he was permanently tanked up. My Mum was not very well one day and the old man called the Doc for a home visit. Me and my mate were in the middle of a Subbuteo FA Cup Semi Final and on his way from the back door to the stairs he trampled
    over the ball, a net and some five Subbuteo figures, bringing the game to an end. Only time an FA Cup games has ended with both sides in tears. I was told that when the Doc eventually died , with the refund on all the empties, apparently his widow got enough cash to wallpaper and paint every room in their house.

20. Loko the Tyke

Loko the Tyke Administrator Staff Member Admin

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Don't think you've quite understood the point of my post. But then you'll probably argue that you did.

Yes we need a ball winning midfielder. But that's different to claiming we need 6+ signings in specific positions