Interesting the difference in attitudes

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by Tekkytyke, Apr 2, 2020.

1. Tek

Tekkytyke Well-Known Member

Retired
    Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    In what way? Yet another example of avoiding answering direct questions

2. Don

Donny-Red Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Do any of them live abroad?
    And are they currently sat on their sun terrace pointing their finger at others?

Watcher_Of_The_Skies likes this.
  3. Tek

Retired
    Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    Doesn't make it any less true, regardless of where it comes from. Once again personal digs rather than addressing the argument.
    Since we are in lock down there is little else we can do other than making online donations which we are doing.

4. Wat

Watcher_Of_The_Skies Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    The discussion has entered the field of ridicule because you have zero ability to self reflect and apply logic and consistency to your own comments. It was you who appealed to authority by saying to me, (paraphrase)
    Yet when I return your comment in kind I'm the bad guy?
    Nobody is asking for a bottomless pit of money. This is a ridiculous argument you are using to rubbish the basic premise that the Tory Party has consistently underfunded the NHS to a basic required standard over 10 years.
    The government had to ask other companies to make ventilators. Ergo there's a shortage, ergo people will die. It's not complicated.
    You were arguing just that. WTF?
    Oh so it's the poor people's fault the NHS is underfunded?
    Yeah, people not working for minimum wage is the issue but corporate tax avoidance, evasion, corporate handouts worth billions, trillions squirreled off shore never to be seen again - that's a separate discussion!

And we're back to bashing poor people'...

The ones Brexit voted to send home?
    Pray tell how, when you're rounding up the unemployed and shipping them in trucks to work the fields, will you make them work if they refuse? And are you including the cancer sufferers etc who the government tried to get back to work by canceling their payments?

Last edited: Apr 3, 2020
    ark104 (v2) likes this.
  5. Don

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    The point I quoted is ‘true’
    I know loads of young people, they’re motivated, hard working, pleasant to be around.
    I also know lots of 50+ people who are retired (plenty of them early on terms the young couldn’t dream of). And a fair proportion of them are bitter, they seek to blame others for everything.

so no it’s not a personal dig, unless the cap is a perfect fit.

6. man

mansfield_red Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Whose fault is it then? Did the younger people manage to **** it up before they were born? Your generation had it better than anyone previously did, and better than anyone will likely have it in the foreseeable future but you act like all your accomplishments are entirely your own responsibility and any of the current generation's issues are down to laziness. You complain about the economic damage caused by people on benefits and immigrants but at least any money they are given goes into the economy rather than people who migrate abroad at retirement age and take their amassed savings/pension money out of the UK economy

7. Tek

Retired
    Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    If they are living as you say what have they got to be bitter about? I do get a little pi**ed ast some posters who seek to blame Governments and everyone else (regardless of their age) rather than looking at themselves and analysing why they are where they are.

We have had several major setbacks in our lives and (particularly my wife) started far from privileged positions (my wife daughter of a disabled miner, living in a rented house on Princess St not even a bathroom...tin bath in front of fire) Through having a good work ethic, sheer bloodymindedness when things go against us, and some rare bits of good fortune we are where we are. We are fortunate but we did not inherit and everything we now have is down to the above and I do not feel that I have to justify or apologise to anyone, We have a daughter who has 'inherited our work ethic' and is carving out a successful career and managing a happy relationship and home life with husband and daughter,

Judging from the personal attack I regularly get on here it is not me who is bitter.

8. Redhelen

Redhelen Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I think its more the "we did it so anyone can do it" attitude, although you have acknowledged the role of luck.

9. Tek

Retired
    Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    Where did I mention immigrants or blame all the current generation? The 'workshy' existed in our generation too. However, you are guilty of blaming the previous generation for everything and abdicating any respounsibilty for your own. As regards the "Your generation had it better than anyone previously did" it depends on what aspects of life you focus on. Expectations were lower than they are now. Everybody expects smartphones, colour TV, Fridges, Central heated accomodation kids expect to have playstations and the access to easy credit has changed people's attitude to debt. The 1970s were certainly not a better experience for people of my generation. An example of our never had it so good generation, To get a loan meant an interview with a bank manager and also you had to have a deposit as they would not lend 100%.
    Poverty even in the 50s literally meant kids with no shoes! Disposable, throwaway, the latest smartphone as a fashion accessory every year is not something that came from previous generations. We didn't even have a fridge when I was young. or a car until I was 10 when my dad got promoted Foreign holidays did not exist except for the very wealthy
    You have to have lived thorugh the 60s and 70s to understand it was not Utopia --far from it.

10. man

mansfield_red Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Free university education, the ability to raise a family on one income, houses that didn't cost many multiples of yearly salary and have since gone through the roof in terms of value, thriving industry, final salary pensions...

But still, those smartphones eh?

11. Don

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Foreigners, the EU telling them what to do... little England not being the same place they grew up.

12. kestyke

kestyke Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley
    Tekkytyke, just accept the fact you have turned into an old man. It happens to nearly all who are lucky enough to get there. Take care out there in Italy.

13. Marlon

Marlon Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    I knew miners who worked hard , in fact some worked themselves into early graves or were disabled by it either limbs or lungs etc. Some of these miners wives worked hard as well some two jobs . A lot of these lived week to week and had nowt .
    But hey they can’t have worked harder than Teccy otherwise they’d have a house in Italy .
    I don’t envy him but to say he got there because of sheer hard work is nonsense .
    As well as hard work you need the breaks and be liked by the people that matter to suggest otherwise is wrong imo .
    But to then go on and berate people you know nothing about is beyond contempt imo .

14. jedi one

jedi one Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    got to admit right place right time and its not what you know but who you know is more than 50% of the battle in life

ScubaTyke and SuperTyke like this.
  15. Marlon

Marlon Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    That was one of the things old miners always used to say to us younguns at the time .
    It’s not what you know it’s not what you do it’s who you know .

16. Sco

Scoff Well-Known Member

The interface between business and technology
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Luck is an often underrated quality that you need to be successful. How many people got a new job in December/January, and started it in March only to find out that they don't qualify for furlough payments from their new company and are now without income?

All it takes is to be in the wrong place at the wrong time and you could lose everything you've worked your entire life for.

TitusMagee, ScubaTyke and JamDrop like this.
  17. thetykester

thetykester Well-Known Member

Retired
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Well said that man, bravo.

Marlon likes this.
  18. cec

cec/mac/tommy/lol&macca Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    You say you 'knew miners who worked hard.' So are we to take it that you were a miner? And if not, why use them to propagate views? And instead tell us about your own 'sheer hard work'? Also what 'breaks' you refer to and who are 'the people who matter'? And as I was brought up as the proud son and grandson of miners, please try your best to do so in a mannerly fashion.

19. Redhelen

Redhelen Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    It is very simplistic to equal hard work to success.

ScubaTyke and Marlon like this.
  20. Marlon

Marlon Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    You a school teacher ?