Introduction

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by Runner, Aug 16, 2017.

1. Acido Tyke

Acido Tyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Runner, have you seen 'To Hull and back' ? The Only Fools episode where Del boy & co sail from Hull to Amsterdam ?. :)
    Thats a journey you must have made if you went to this years European city of culture. (yes thats really what they are calling Hull this year lol)

2. Runner

Runner Well-Known Member

Software developer
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    No, haven't seen that. Is it worth looking up and watching for someone who's never seen Only Fools and Horses?

Being awarded the "City of Culture" for the year was a good thing for the city though. I don't know how much it helped with their reputation and with tourism, but I know there have been plenty of local initiatives throughout the city to brighten things up and provide some entertainment as well. Plenty of community initiatives which have helped some drab looking places looking a lot better.

Hull's reputation is generally worse than its reality. Sure, there are some bad places around the city, but there are plenty of good places as well. And enough run-of-the-mill generic suburban areas where nothing much happens. Pretty much the same could be said about Barnsley.

3. Acido Tyke

Acido Tyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I goto Hull regularly from Leeds, either on the train or bus/coach because my brother lives over there in Hornsea, and we used to have a caravan there. The East Yorkshire coast is one of my favourite parts of the country.
    As for the Only Fools thing, its about some diamond smuggling with a Dutch bloke called Van Kleef, and they get lost in the middle of the North sea. And the title comes from a comment by Del, he moans about how far hes had to travel, and says "Ive been to Amsterdam.. Ive been to Hull and back!!". lol
    Ohh, should I say spoiler alert!! :p

4. Prince of Risborough

Prince of Risborough Well-Known Member

Retired
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Definitely watch that episode. Del, Rodney and Uncle Albert lost in the North Sea. Car ferry us spotted......"Follow that ship" is Del's suggestion.

5. Prince of Risborough

Prince of Risborough Well-Known Member

Retired
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)