Invest in Dike

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by Bleedng Red, Apr 6, 2021.

1. Ble

Bleedng Red Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Our Money men would be very wise to take advantage of the so called £17 million that we have an option of paying for Dike even if it’s just a financial deal, l think a wise Premiership side would make a deal that would allow him to serve his ‘apprenticeship’ with us. Of course it would depend on his immediate ambition and where we may be next season? Here’s hoping we can see his development for at least another season.

2. Red

RedVesp Guest

I think everyone is overthinking this Dike situation. There's nothing, and I mean nothing we can do to sign him. He's off to a team way further up the football food chain.

Just enjoy him while he's here.

TonyTyke, ATYKE1, churtonred and 6 others like this.
  3. ley

leythtyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Well, there is something we can do to sign him. We can make the offer. We can't force him to sign though.

4. Til

Tilertoes Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    He wont be playing for us next season. Not a chance

DN6 Red likes this.
  5. Red

RedVesp Guest

But whatever we offer will be beaten by another clubs offer.

It's pretty much a McBurnie situation. No chance of him signing for us. I'll gladly eat my hat if I'm wrong though!

Donny-Red and John Peachy like this.
  6. KamikazeCo-Pilot

KamikazeCo-Pilot Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley
    Would cost too much and putting all one's eggs into one basket. Not worth it for one player for a club the size of Barnsley. Would be over stretching the finances quite considerably. Better spend that sort of money on 3/4 other really good prospects to further develop the entire team ( and that's only assuming if the club was to get promoted).

7. ley

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    It will be a test of Dane's comments after the loan was announced, where he said the fee was within our range. If that was the case, you'd expect them to invoke the option to buy, even if they ultimately can't agree terms with the player.

8. Red

RedVesp Guest

I don't doubt Dane, the fee agreed probably was within our range, but there's nothing stopping someone like Everton coming in with a £20m offer.

Plus wages, crowds, status. As much as he's enjoying his football with us, he'll probably prefer to be doing it in front of 40k people and earning £40k a week somewhere else.

Kids making a name for himself and he's helping us to our best finish for years, I'm chuffed to bits we found him.

ATYKE1 likes this.
  9. ley

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    But it doesn't matter what Everton offer the club. If we have a fee agreed, and it's within our reach, we should trigger it and start talking to the player. Odds are he'd hold out for wages we can't pay, knowing other offers will be made, but if you don't ask you don't get.

10. Red

RedVesp Guest

All we've done, as I understand it, is agree an acceptable amount to buy him for, if another club offers more and we're not prepared to match it then that's that.

tomaiba likes this.
  11. Red

RedVesp Guest

Just to clarify, I'm not saying we shouldn't chance our arm and make the offer, because we absolutely should. I'm just saying that another club will offer more after the performances he's put in.

12. ley

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    If there wasn't a fee agreed, then the idea that we had an option to buy was a bit of a stretch. Could've said we had an option to buy James from Leicester in Jan in that case.

13. Hom

Homer Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    if we have an agreement. why not invest £17 mill in him. We have seen what sort of player he is
    His value is going to be far more than £17 mill in a years time or even before We would then be the selling club
    and could make an hefty profit

14. ley

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Agree with this, but from the noises coming out of the club when he signed, it would be clubs offering the player more that would be the problem. Not them offering Orlando more.

15. DN6

DN6 Red Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I'm sad to say that DD will not be with us next year. He's too good for this league. Let's just enjoy the rest of the season with him in a red shirt.

16. DusThaNoIII

DusThaNoIII Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Have all the big brain business people on this forum that have had the genius idea to buy the excellent player currently on Loan considered that while there may be a clause that Orlando have to accept the exceptionally ambitious and gifted player has to then agree personal terms with both Orlando and his agent seeing $ signs with some of the big fish interested in him.
    This is a lad that bet on himself and moved to a place he’d never heard of in England in the middle of a pandemic, I’m certain he’d bet on himself to make it at some of the bigger clubs sniffing around and to be fair I’d not want to bet against it. Enjoy him while he’s here.
    For me, the positive of his loan isn’t so much the potential to sign him which I would of course love but simply can’t see as realistic. The positive is that the football world has sat up and taken notice. We will have an excellent position finish in the league even if that isn’t the plays offs. Players we approach will be far more receptive to offers and interest from us, particularly if VI stays. Was it Dane that said players that had turned us down were wishing they’d accepted to come and be a part of what we’re doing?
    That is something that will be far more important than any one player.

TonyTyke, ATYKE1, Connor and 2 others like this.
  17. Marc

Marc Administrator Staff Member Admin

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Daryl Dike is on his bike

Mr C, Donny-Red and DN6 Red like this.
  18. ley

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I’m sure he will hold out for offers elsewhere. All I’ve said is, that having said we have the option to buy, for a price in line with what we’d normally pay, why wouldn’t you trigger it and at least have the conversation with him? If they do that, then fair enough, otherwise why even bring up the option to buy in the first place?

19. Red

RedVesp Guest

I think they will, they'd be stupid not to. But be prepared for disappointment.

20. sel

selby Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    This is mental.... What if he does a cruciate or dips in form? He's 20 years old and right now looks a real talent but to risk 17 million on him is absolutely bonkers.

MrsHallsToffeerolls and Redhelen like this.