Investment

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by sitting bull, Oct 29, 2018.

1. John Peachy

John Peachy Well-Known Member

The littlest hobo
    Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    A "donation" is a loan. The only way for it not to be is for the money to be put in to be capitalised via a share issue, then it is capital, not a loan.

"This is (NOT) the best post" as it is factually wrong.

Some of your points are loosely correct though.

2. Dan

DannyWilsonLovechild Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley
    It would be useful to see the full accounts, I think as a small company, the accounts are abbreviated so its difficult to see the actual detail and accounting treatment. I recall various stages where loans were written off and there was some conversion to shares to try and solidify the balance sheet as the company was massively insolvent.

If I were in the position of knowing I had pumped millions into a club and my time may be drawing to a close and actively seeking a buyer, I'd be mindful of how to extract income for my family in a tax efficient way. Whether the preparation for such action was done, or the action itself... its not possible to tell.

John Peachy likes this.
  3. Loko the Tyke

Loko the Tyke Administrator Staff Member Admin

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    These were words straight from Patrick's mouth to be fair during the heavy sequence of defeats with Johnson in charge. He was defending his role in keeping the club afloat and pretty much said the opposite of what you're saying - you can't ask for a donation back. It's a gift. It isn't a loan.

Now you can disagree but I'm just sharing information rather than my own opinion. Thanks for agreeing my points are loosely correct. Appreciated.

4. John Peachy

John Peachy Well-Known Member

The littlest hobo
    Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    In accounting terms a donation from a director is a director's loan. Unless that is capitalised it is a loan. That is a fact. A donation would be from a third party, not a company director.

I wouldn't have pulled you up on it, if you had not prefixed your post with this line:

"This is the best post in this completely bonkers thread".

A lot of people had made very sensible comments in this thread.

Not an attack from me, as most of what you say is on point, but if you are going to make a bold statement, that rubbishes everyone else's it's good to get your facts correct.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2018
    Extremely Northern and Jay like this.
  5. Loko the Tyke

Loko the Tyke Administrator Staff Member Admin

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I was referencing the post I was quoting. Not the post I was about to write? That would be more than a touch weird, so as such you didn't need to even give the impression of attacking me, even if you weren't actually doing so.

6. lk3

lk311 Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Genuine question, can a director stand Guarantor for a loan to a Football club?