Is it an age thing

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by Brian Mahoneys Waist, Mar 20, 2017.

1. Durkar Red

Durkar Red Well-Known Member

Exorcist
    Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Well when I used to watch us in the 70s I fully expected us to be in the top division challenging for the European Cup by the Millenium , I still think we will but it might be the next Millenium ...... we can still make the play offs , it's mathematically possible UREDS

2. pon

pontyender Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    My dad is 80 and usually quite level headed and philosophical about things. He's disgusted that we've ripped the heart out of our team mid season when doing so well. I've been hooked since 1-0 Mick Butler inspired home wins on various Sundays in 1974 and I agree with him.

3. barnsley66

barnsley66 Well-Known Member

Learner Support Assistant/Happy Clapper
    Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    As I am 64 and just been called a Marxist Trotskyist by an MP I don't think that's true all the time.:)

4. Redstar

Redstar Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    You surely forgot Entryist too?

5. barnsley66

barnsley66 Well-Known Member

Learner Support Assistant/Happy Clapper
    Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I'm still working out the Marxist Trotskyist bit! Can't absorb any more political descriptions! :)

6. Jimmy viz

Jimmy viz Well-Known Member

Ballet Dancer
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Expropriate the expropriators comrade.

7. Red

Red Rain Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I have been thinking about this a little more since I posted my original remarks. I think it is that I have a different relationship with my football club. Together, we have been through a lot. We have had good time together, and times that were not so good. But through it all, we stuck together.

It sounds like I am describing my marriage. I have been married for 40 years. We do not row. We have disagreements, but we sort them out. After 40 years, it is pretty clear that we are life partners. And so it is with my football team. We have had over 50 years together and are probably life partners. I identify very closely with the problems that my football team faces. In a sense, we face those problems together and I accept the solutions that the club advances, the decision it makes, as my own.

This place contains people who do not view the club in the same way, people who do not have the same experiences together as I do with my club, people who do not feel the same way as I do about my club. I have to accept that, even though I find some of the criticism directed at the club is hurtful and unnecessary, and is often directed at those who have done most for the club or put most into the club. It is often like reading about the thing that you value most being rubbished, ridiculed and threatened with destruction. I wish that others did not have that love/hate relationship that forces them to be most destructive at the worst possible time, but I can do nothing about their opinions, and this place is, after all, just a safety valve that allows steam to be let off with comparatively little damage. So I will attempt to be more patient with those with differing views, and I will hope that my patience rubs off on others. The bxxxxxxs!

8. Bri

Brian Mahoneys Waist Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    One thing I don't understand is when people question the clubs ambition.I think 2 Wembley visits,2 trophies,promotion and holding our own against the big boys of our league shows loads of ambition.

Bossman and fitzytyke2 like this.
  9. Brush

Brush Well-Known Member

Ex-IT professional
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    This lack of ambition talk has been doing the rounds from time immemorial. Nothing new about it.

Until somebody figures out a way of towing Sheffield and Leeds 50 or 60 miles further away and increase the Barnsley population to a million or two, we'll never be able to sustain a position much above where we are now.

In football terms you can argue whether or not we've punched above our weight but in location and population we're a fly-weight and there's no prospect of that changing. Having mentioned the likes of Sheffield and Leeds, even they can't sustain anything significantly better, can they?

10. Young Nudger

Young Nudger Well-Known Member

Counting great crested newts
    Hiding in a reed bed at the local RSPB nature rese
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    It's NOT an age thing - it's the way you view life and the things in life that you care about.

Whatever there is in my life that can be improved - I have looked for faults in it.

If it can be improved- I've tried to find faults and ways that it can be altered to improve things.

Why ???
    Because if you can identify faults - and then change those faults - then you improve your life.
    Forever looking for improvements and the closest I can get to perfection.
    Probably taking after my father - whatever he did or does it has to be his BEST.

I want the running of Barnsley to be at its best - and because it isn't then I'll continue to post in the hope that directors take on board what I'm saying.

I'm not a person who allows life to wash over me.
    And neither are Cryne and Watkins.

11. scarf

scarf Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    'Thou hypocrite, first cast out the beam out of thine own eye; and then shalt thou see clearly to cast out the mote out of thy brother's eye.' I think there's a few more beams need your attention first Nudger ;)

12. bfc

bfcted Active Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    It's about ambition that's all, if you have it you have it if you don't you don't, simple.