Is this racism?

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by Brian Mahoneys Waist, Feb 2, 2018.

1. ark

ark104 (v2) Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    So you don't see any benefit in trying to make an organisation more reflective of the people it serves?

2. Tek

Tekkytyke Well-Known Member

Retired
    Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    Why would that require quotas? Surely that comes under the 'best fit' i.e. most suitable applicant(s) gets the job. You can only short list , interview, and appoint from the people who actually applied for the position. I don't understand what you are trying to say.

3. Sup

SuperTyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    The police should ensure that their officers are seen to be acting fairly and without racism. They should ensure that ALL races are given the same opportunities to apply for and become police officers. The best officers should then be chosen for the job.

If at that point the best candidate is black then great. If they are white then so be it. I want a world where people are seen as equal and the colour of their skin isn't even considered. Not a world where the colour of somebody's skin means they are handed a job.

I don't care if a police officer who comes to help me when I'm in trouble is black, white, male, female, 19 or 64. What I care about is how well they do their job. Why should a black person only respect a black police officer? Why should a white person only respect a white one?
    If a black person is getting arrested for something why should it make any difference whatsoever that the arresting officer is black or white? It shouldn't get people seem to think it does.

We don't need more black police. We don't need more white police. We don't need more females or males. What we need is more GOOD police and what they look like makes **** all difference.

Airon c redscue likes this.
  4. ark

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    But you don't come from a community that has historically suffered institutional racism and is inherently distrustful of the police as a consequence

5. Sup

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    But it could be argued that I do come from a community that has historically suffered institutional discrimination and I'll treatment (not racism) and is inherently distrustful of the police as a consequence.
    Does that mean I should treat the police with contempt? Commit crimes and refuse to cooperate with police until they set quotas of ex miners and football season ticket holders to employ?

6. ark

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I would guess that the majority of police officers in Barnsley do come from ex mining communities.

7. Sup

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    And yet without a quota and without me knowing that they do.

Quotas are discrimination. There is no way round that it's just a fact

8. ark

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Yeah, and they can gave a role to play in ensuring organisations reflect the people they serve. Personally I think it's important that the police do reflect the wider population, but it's just my opinion

9. Tek

Retired
    Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    THIS IS RACISM>>>
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-42930749

Bit close for comfort as it is our nearest major town. There are, fortunately, not many 'fascists' here in a country historically divided between Catholics and Communista

As an aside, although the high influx of economic migrants and refugees combined with an increase in homelessness and displacement of locals due to the Earthquakes, flooding, high unemployment) has caused some resentment among the Italians, there is still a general attitude of tolerance and sympathy. It did not help that after the quakes thousand of Italians were living in tents over the winter due to the hotels, holiday apartments and B&Bs where they would have been put are filled with the refugees housed there by the authorities,
    Obviously it is not their fault and up to now there has been little friction so one can only hope this is an isolated incident caused by a disturbed individual with personal issues or grievances and not a sign that it is beginning to boil over.
    The situation is not helped by a combination of EU law that prevents people awaiting decisions on asylum applications from seeking any form of employment and the fact that processing the huge numbers is taking a ridiculous amount of time. One group of migrants I gave a lift to told me they had been here 2 years and still awaiting a decision. In that time they were living in a hotel nearby along with about 100 other migrants . They get food, lodgings, a clothing allowance and a small weekly subsistence amount from central Government funding (amounting to no more than a several euros a day to cover everything else) . Most are reduced to begging outside the various supermarkets Malls which, whilst you have some sympathy for their plight, some are quite persistent, bordering on aggressive making some single Italian women feel intimidated. You can be approached several times every time you go to the shops. Our local Mall has one stationed around all 5 or 6 of the entrances every time. The only way to avoid them is to go between 1 and 3 when they all seem to go for their lunch break.
    Hopefully this was a one off from a disturbed individual and not the start of something worse.

10. Tek

Retired
    Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    Surely the way a job application is worded can help make sure the most appropriate people for the post apply without breaching discrimination legislation.
    Nevertheless, for example, if you need police 50 officers for an inner city zone with a large ethnic population, and only there are only 40 ethnic applicants out of 120 total apply, what do you do if 20 of the 40 are experienced and well qualified but the remaining 30 posts can be filled by more experienced, better qualified white candidates. Would you rule 20 of them out ,favouring the less suitable ethnic candidates just to fill a quota or ensure ALL 50 vacancies were filled by the best candidates. What do you think would happen under discrimination law if 20 of the white applicants were to find out that they had been rejected because of their race? Think about it.

11. Sup

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    This is exactly what did happen and the police force was sued for a lot of money after a judge ruled they acted illegally

12. Marlon

Marlon Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    Its

13. John Peachy

John Peachy Well-Known Member

The littlest hobo
    Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    To go back to the OP. Usually these kind of questions are rhetorical.

14. Sel

Selby Red Active Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)

15. Sel

Selby Red Active Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    My dad used to say, when black players started coming into the game, they will be playing with a coconut next, is this racist?