IT ISN'T WORKING!

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by orsenkaht, Nov 10, 2019.

1. wolvestyke

wolvestyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Happy to be corrected but I think it's 29 games - the last 26 games of the 1952/53 season (unsurprisingly we were relegated) and the first 3 games of the following season. N.B. This is league games as there was an FA Cup win a few games after the 26 games started.

fitzytyke likes this.
  2. Young Nudger

Young Nudger Well-Known Member

Counting great crested newts
    Hiding in a reed bed at the local RSPB nature rese
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    In other words .......... what I said was right.

3. Ste

Steve Wood Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I knew exactly how strong the Championship was and was sure we'd really got it wrong after the Luton performance. I didn't know anything much about the players we'd signed, but was confident a squad so young would really struggle.

4. fit

fitzytyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    It's doable then

Farnham_Red likes this.
  5. seethi

seethi Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley
    EvenPatrick new the strength of the championship

6. Redhelen

Redhelen Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Thing is they've been told. And they know the strength from.last time surely? Plus your pal Hecky told them!

7. Redhelen

Redhelen Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Or that Stendel would have been sacked. Or that we wouldn't replace our top goal.scorer.

Farnham_Red and Connor like this.
  8. lk3

lk311 Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Yet their first Summer transfer window can’t really be called a failure can it?
    Even January this year, I agree we were weakened with the sale of Potts but we still managed to get up, he’s people will say despite but equally they could have sold more and better players than Potts.

Can’t argue with this Summer though

DusThaNoIII likes this.
  9. fit

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    That's the problem though, they don't seem to have taken on board the difference in quality between the leagues.

They went into league 1 with players that had played in the championship, it was easier for them. Mowatt and McGeehan needed league one to get their careers running again.

It doesn't work the other way round.

10. lk3

lk311 Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Agree with that Fitzy, Ivwas just responding to the litmus test comment.
    There’s no doubt or even room for debate they got this one wrong.

fitzytyke likes this.
  11. Ged

Geddiswasguud Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    It smacks of arrogance or at worst unprofessional conduct.
    Most teams bring in loans to bridge the gap in this league ....but oh no ....we arent going improve other teams players....no lets buy them first and then sell for a slight profit, the second there are suitors, at under market value....that way thats not actually a loan.....oh hang on!!!!
    This league is hard.....very hard....you need to compete...no one is suprised at the high standard...well maybe the suits!!

12. fit

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    The whole situation is unbelievably frustrating mate. It's like everyone could see this coming, but not them.

Not only have we to wait until January in hope that they will at least try to arrest the slide, but there is nothing coming out of the club.

If they at least admitted they got it badly wrong, it wouldn't be so bad, but as you say, they are coming across very badly.

Geddiswasguud likes this.
  13. ley

leythtyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    It's a plan that rarely works. In theory it is meant to allow you to take two steps forward, then one step back, when in practice, the best you can hope for is to end up back where you were originally.

Look at Arsenal, they went through a sustained spell of selling their best players, and replacing with cheaper options. That's taken them from invincibles to struggling to qualify for Europe. Wigan slid down the leagues and Southampton are a relegation waiting to happen.

I think we're missing Ganaye somewhat, as a CEO who seemed to put some context around the plan. Yes, we sold MacDonald and Potts, but he got deals for Moore, Woodrow and Dougall over the line (I suspect we failed in equivalent attempts in the summer). We also allowed players to run down their contracts when it was in the best interests (Davies, Jackson) and brought a quality loan player in to improve quality (McBurnie).

Conway has taken the plan too literally, and we've ended up selling a few decent players and buying a load of not so good players. Though, to be fair, that's nothing new to Barnsley, we went from the bring of the play offs to a relegation battle when we sold Tiler and Agnew back in the day.

Geddiswasguud and fitzytyke like this.
  14. orsenkaht

orsenkaht Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Another head coach - the same dross.

BOARD: IT ISN'T WORKING!

With every week that passes, Paul Conway's statement looks more and more ridiculous. The club is going to take a massive hit come renewal time. Too much to expect any communication, let alone a mea culpa?

Fonzie likes this.
  15. Ged

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I bought in to this philosophy at the start. They were asked about a 5 year plan.....we are now half way through said plan and imho are in a worse position than when they took over!
    We have potential players, who we know the milli second are any good (regardless of contract length) will be sold. This club is about making money ...nothing to do with football. I have zero confidence in their ability to run this club medium term never mind long term....they are asset strippers who have applied their business knowledge to footy and it clearly doesnt work.

16. Ged

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Been watching us since jim iley and although we have always sold...never have we done it with the breath taking fervour, this lot do. With 5 or 6 at a time and expect new recruits to carry on where the others left off. Good god....at least apply a tiny bit if common sense to the business model.

17. Ged

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)

Any likeness?@!!!

18. Wat

Watcher_Of_The_Skies Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    It's a weird one because from my distant observation we've done OK going forward, certainly enough to win gamesaagainst top teams. At the back Ive seen poor Barnsley teams that as a group conceded plenty of goals, but I don't think I've ever seen a set of defenders with so many basic individual mistakes in them.

It's not as if they're rank bad for the entire game, they play OK, but then a mistake you'd not expect to see at Sunday league level regularly occurs. It's not as if teams are out classing us, we're just tossing away points for free.

19. wak

wakeyred Well-Known Member

the clues in my imaginative online moniker
    Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Maybe not rank bad, but our keeper gets to practice one-on-one saves at least twice a game with someone either totally free in the area or running behind our back line.

20. Ged

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I think wednesday away was the barometer for me ....we played well in bits but we're ripped up with simple football against a bang avarage side with some key players missing.
    I can remember after that a former owls manager saying we would stuggle away from hom e this season......he was half right!!